2 Tbsp. honey

2 Tbsp. soy sauce

2 Tbsp. oil

½ tsp. ginger

1 clove crushed garlic

1 small onion, diced

1/3 cup rice

Salt & pepper to taste

Rinse rice and lentils. Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish. Bake, covered, at 350F until tender, about an hour and a half.

ETA - very similar to the recipe the pp mentioned in the other thread.

This can be increased. For every 2/3 cup lentils (raw measure, and simmer in water or broth, drain), use one cup rice (I use brown basmati, measure raw, and cook per instructions), in another pan saute one large onion sliced very thinly in 1/4- 1/3 Cup evoo, very, very slowly until they are small and brown but not crisp. Stir the three pots together (the cooked rice, lentil and onions). Serve hot, keeps well. Salt and pepper to taste.

You can also stuff this in parboiled bell peppers and bake, covered with breadcrumbs tossed with oil and spices.

This dish is served in the middle East and northern India.

For lentil soup, I brown a small onion fine diced with a clove of garlic, minced in olive oil, add 2 cups lentil, and one or more good sized carrots cut into rounds, add sufficient broth (beef or Frontier vegan beef is good). I also like to add a muslin baggy filled with parsley stems and pepper corns). Simmer until done. Delicious. Carrots are THE veggie for lentils.

I like a side dish of cold cooked lentils tossed with EVOO and plenty of lemon juice and chopped parsley. A bit of diced tomato goes in there and a bit of dry-toasted cumin seeds then crushed with the back of a spoon for spice. This also needs a bit of salt.

There was a thread a while back full of everyone's favorite lentil recipes.

Here is a link: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337401

The honey-baked lentils are especially good.

Yes--the honey baked lentils. Instead of putting the onion in the casserole to bake, I slice and carmelize large onions separately in a saute pan and put it on top of the casserole after it has baked. I also double the recipe and bake it at 350 degrees for 75 minutes. Serve over rice. I make this all the time now. Yum yum yum.

I made this yesterday and it was great.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/coconut-curry-lentil-stew-served-over-quinoa/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=lentil%20stew&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe%20Search%20Results

I left out the coconut flour since I didn't have any and added two cups of sautes shredded veggies, (carrots, celery and zuch).

I also make this lentil taco filling for my vegetarian dd:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tasty-lentil-tacos/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=lentil%20taco&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe

That is healthy. I have never cooked lentils but have cooked plenty of dried beans. Anything different about them?

Looking for a full of flavor but healthy recipe :)

We love this one:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/05/ridiculously-easy-lentil-soup.html

(And I guess I really need to start wearing my reading glasses. I looked at your thread title and read "Looking for a nasty lentil recipe". :tongue_smilie:)

My kids love all kinds of lentils, but the green ones cook up to a funny green brown color that some folks might find unappetizing the first time. I do love green lentils because they have that slight peppery taste.

For a first foray into lentils, one might consider red lentils. They are just so lovely and they cook up the fastest of all--just 20 minutes.

Yesterday we whipped up a pot of red lentils. I cooked 2 cups in a pan with water to cover by about 1 inch. After they were done, I stirred in 1 heaping tablespoon of good curry spice, some salt and extra ginger. I served the lentils over a nest of basmati rice. We loved it--and we even loved it again today for leftovers.

Super easy.

My kids love all kinds of lentils, but the green ones cook up to a funny green brown color that some folks might find unappetizing the first time. I do love green lentils because they have that slight peppery taste.

For a first foray into lentils, one might consider red lentils. They are just so lovely and they cook up the fastest of all--just 20 minutes.

Yesterday we whipped up a pot of red lentils. I cooked 2 cups in a pan with water to cover by about 1 inch. After they were done, I stirred in 1 heaping tablespoon of good curry spice, some salt and extra ginger. I served the lentils over a nest of basmati rice. We loved it--and we even loved it again today for leftovers.

Super easy.

I have never tried curry. Ever. Guess this southern gal should give it a try :)

I have never tried curry. Ever. Guess this southern gal should give it a try :)

Well, this midwest girl moved to the south and got to try (and LOVE) greens, grits, and tomato pie. So, yes, I think you should try curry. :001_smile: It doesn't have to be spicy. I picked up some curry from the Frontier brand bulk spices at Whole Foods.

We were desperate for a quick lunch on Friday and so I made this on the fly.

Well, this midwest girl moved to the south and got to try (and LOVE) greens, grits, and tomato pie. So, yes, I think you should try curry. :001_smile: It doesn't have to be spicy. I picked up some curry from the Frontier brand bulk spices at Whole Foods.

We were desperate for a quick lunch on Friday and so I made this on the fly.

made me have a craving for a tomato sandwich ;) I will have to buy some and give it a whirl. I like trying new things.

Saute an onion and some smashed garlic in oil. Add a teaspoon each of ground cumin and coriander and stir. Add split red lentils - rinsed but not soaked - and boiling water. Stir periodically as the water is absorbed. Season to taste. Serve with brown rice and a green veg.

Variations: replace some of the water with a can of tomatoes or with some broth. I tend to add broth towards the end, in case any salt makes the lentils tough.

Laura

They are easier to accidentally cook to mush. That's the main difference.

Here's our go-to recipe for a very satisfying stew:

Lentils Monastery

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 small onions, chopped
  • a dozen baby carrots, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
  • 3 cups stock of any sort
  • 1 cup dry lentils
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 lb crushed or canned diced tomato
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry
  • grated cheese to top, swiss if you like it sweet or cheddar if you like savory

1. In a large pot, saute the carrot and onions 3-5 minutes in the olive oil.
  2. Add and saute one minute more: thyme and marjoram.
  3. Add the stock, lentils, parsley, and tomatoes.
  4. Bring to boil, then cover and reduce heat.
  5. Let cook until lentils are tender (about 35-45 minutes).
  6. Add the sherry and allow to cook for just a few minutes more.
  7. Top with cheese to serve.

Where are lentils in the grocery store? Or are they a specialty grocery kind of thing? I can't find any at my local Ingles.

WEll, sorry to say, but it may very well be that your grocery store does not stock lentils. They are typically on the very bottom or very top shelf next to the dried pinto beans. But here's the deal--I live in a metropolitan area, but our very large Kroger stores stopped carrying lentils a while back. I went on a one year crusade (not kidding here, people) to get the local management and the headquarters in Ohio to let my neighborhood Kroger store carry lentils.

Most Walmarts will carry the green lentils at about .97 a bag (1 lb.) If you would like red lentils, you will probably need to find them at a Whole Foods type store or at an Indian market.

WEll, sorry to say, but it may very well be that your grocery store does not stock lentils. They are typically on the very bottom or very top shelf next to the dried pinto beans. But here's the deal--I live in a metropolitan area, but our very large Kroger stores stopped carrying lentils a while back. I went on a one year crusade (not kidding here, people) to get the local management and the headquarters in Ohio to let my neighborhood Kroger store carry lentils.

Most Walmarts will carry the green lentils at about .97 a bag (1 lb.) If you would like red lentils, you will probably need to find them at a Whole Foods type store or at an Indian market.

Sprouts has the red lentils in the bulk section.

This is also a compelling reason for an amazon prime membership. If I can't find it locally, or if it's hard to find, I can always find it there. I do check prices though because if I can get it locally, amazon is not always cheaper.

The only drawback is needing to get 4 or 6 bags of something to get free shipping.

WEll, sorry to say, but it may very well be that your grocery store does not stock lentils. They are typically on the very bottom or very top shelf next to the dried pinto beans.

And these lentil tend to be rather geriatric.

I get them at a brisk bulk store, or a "natural" market, or the Indian store.

I love the red ones to make dal. I like the little green in salads and casseroles. But the best ones for European style soup is flat brown.

And these lentil tend to be rather geriatric.

I get them at a brisk bulk store, or a "natural" market, or the Indian store.

I love the red ones to make dal. I like the little green in salads and casseroles. But the best ones for European style soup is flat brown.

OH, yes, I think maybe I have green confused with brown. The Walmart lentils are likely the flat brown ones (with an ever so slight greenish tint.) :001_smile:

I've never tried the little dark green lentils. What are they like?

Here is one of our favorites.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2011/02/recipe-for-spicy-sausage-lentil-and.html

and

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/recipes/curried_lentil_soup.html'>http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/recipes/curried_lentil_soup.html

But this page has a lot of them.

http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/recipes/curried_lentil_soup.html