1. 1. Please just help me decide... history woes

• Read 1 chapter weekly from K12's Human Odyssey
    • Read 1 chapter daily from OUP's World in Ancient Times
    • Follow interests with Landmark/World Landmark books
    • Cultural studies (dd9's suggestion)
    • American history, then world
    • A weekly chapter from A Little History of the World
    • Combination of above, or something else entirely

I simply cannot decide which path to take with my dc, ages 11 and 9, so am turning to the wisdom of the Hive Mind for help.

I am not absolutely dedicated to the idea of chronological history this year, but at the same time, I would like to get a start on it at some point since ds is already 11!

I voted for World in Ancient Times, it's what we plan to use not this coming fall (we're doing Modern History) but the year after when we're back to ancients. I have all the books and really like what I have seen just paging through them.

What history have they already done, and in what grades?

We've been all over the place... and not very organized :blushing:

2011-12: Some American history, some prehistoric (OUP's Early Human World)

2010-11: Primarily mythology; some Vikings and early explorers; a little in world cultures

2009-10: Native Americans; Greek history, some of ancient Rome

2008-09: Local (county) history; some cultural stuff; tried Oak Meadow which did not work out for us

2007-08: SOTW 1 with ds

2006-07: Unit studies with ds

We've been all over the place... and not very organized :blushing:

2011-12: Some American history, some prehistoric (OUP's Early Human World)

2010-11: Primarily mythology; some Vikings and early explorers; a little in world cultures

2009-10: Native Americans; Greek history, some of ancient Rome

2008-09: Local (county) history; some cultural stuff; tried Oak Meadow which did not work out for us

2007-08: SOTW 1 with ds

2006-07: Unit studies with ds

In this case, I would do K12's Human Odyssey volumes over the course of three years (grades 6-8 for your ds and grades 4-6 for your dd, I think I saw in another of your threads?). I would add lots of cultural stuff for your DD to satisfy her request. :D

ETA: I would supplement with Landmark books (because they are fantastic) and additional history reading. I would probably also add in some additional American history starting somewhere in the second volume of HO.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I'm doing WiAT with my 9 turned 10 yo this year. We read aloud 5 chapters a week with a lot of discussion. On his own he works on reading historical fiction, map work, timeline, and an outline a week. As we finish each book, we take a week to review and do a project he thinks of himself. Your dd could really get into cultural stuff here.

I think it takes us/him a total 3-4 hours a week for all the work I assign. There's probably another few hours of historical fiction reading or documentary watching he does on his own. It's been our best year of history so far. I planning on it taking 3 year to finish both the ancient and medieval series. HTH

What is your goal? Does your son have an opinion? When are you starting the next school year? Maybe you can just take a few weeks and NOT think about this, a break might give you some clarity.

I'd do the culture studies with your DD - that's what she wants. Maybe choose a culture, then you can guide her in finding the right books at the library (or resources online), and then do a combination of working with her and assigning her to work alone. Make it fun, learn library skills while you are at it. If you must plan (you didn't mention having a spine already), perhaps you can pick either a culture each term / month, or pick an event (Christmas, full moons) or a theme (foods, horses) to use as a starting point.

If you want your son to start chronological history, maybe assign him to read the Little History of the World, and then you can discuss together. You could have him make a timeline and expand if you wanted, or just keep it simple.

Or combine them - a chapter a week of history, and a book basket / read alouds for culture studies.

If all else fails you have 6 options listed - you could roll a dice! :lol:

(I want to add that I'm in the same boat as you - turning options for next year over and over. I think I'll take my own advice now: both taking a break and then going back to my goals. I don't want to come across as being snippy or rude.)