Menu

Is poster paint the same as tempera paint?

BatmansWife

I need 10 different colors of "tempera paint" and when I search for tempera paint at Rainbow Resource, poster paint also comes up. The poster paint seems a little cheaper (although smaller bottles). I'm wondering if they are pretty much the same thing....or not?

ETA: On the other hand....I do have some bottles of acrylic paint from Walmart. I wonder if I can't just use those. It's for some art projects in the book How To Teach Art To Children.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I don't the answer but I have a distaste for tempera paints. I think they dry too matte and crack easily. We use acrylics here for any projects like the ones in that book.

Carol.....you aren't supposed to eat the tempera paints!!!

:lol:

Thanks for letting me know about the tempera paints. I'll stick with the acrylic then.

I have a bunch of tempra paint and other than the fact that it's much easier to clean up I hate it. It always seems to flake off when it's dry unless we use a clear coat poly over it.

I think acrylic paint would work just fine for the projects in the book you are using.

Although you reminded me that I have that book, I should use it. :tongue_smilie:

I have found labeling to be VERY inconsistent, and in no way indicative of what I will be getting as a product. And the information from the sales person is not to be trusted either. Buy as small of a sample as possible. Try it out. Then see if you want to buy more.

And use crayons whenever possible. :lol: Augsburg--a free vintage text available at google--teaches crayon "paintings".