Menu

If you don't make your own TOG workbooks

Quiver0f10

I did the same thing! I was thrilled with the idea of using a workbook format, that we could just grab and I could be all set before school started in the fall...but then I realized that my 13yo may need more work thrown in, and that my 10yo maybe could handle a few of the Dialectic books if I read them with her...etc. I realized that for my particular children, it wasn't a good idea to bind a workbook...financially and timewise. Anyway, we will go back to what we did last year...

What I will do is put dividers in their binders and let them use the binders for about a month...with no labels at first. We will try to stay very organized about this, and see what divisions wind-up working for each of them. Some like to have things in chronological order...some by subject, and some by very, very specific subject (those two usually need LOTS of dividers). Anyway, I find that if I give them some time to decide what works best for them, and seems most logical, we wind-up with a system that they use more happily. A bit more loose-ends than having it all set up the first day, but it seems to work better here. Hope that is somewhat helpful?

:001_smile:

I had started making TOG workbooks, but now I am thinking of just going with a binder set up. How do you set up your binders?

Thanks! :D

I just gave her separate sections for maps, timeline, finished lit sheets, ect... I keep it really simple so I just put in a blank piece of paper and put a post it tab on the end. Nothing fancy. :D

Heather

I just gave her separate sections for maps, timeline, finished lit sheets, ect... I keep it really simple so I just put in a blank piece of paper and put a post it tab on the end. Nothing fancy. :D

Heather

That didn't really work well for us...especially for my upper grammar ds. I like Siloam's simple plan. Another idea is to make a history notebook ala WTM. I may just put each week's work in a folder and then file finished work in the notebook.

Hope this makes sense, I am typing with a sleeping baby on my lap.

In our previous history notebooks, we've put things in as they progressed through history, this is what I plan on doing for TOG, I filed all the worksheets, maps, timeline people, etc. under each week, as they finish, it will transfer to Unit 1 Binder,etc. At the end of the Year, I plan on them having 4 Binders that all go together w/ that unit, we've found this helpful, when we want to pull out one of our notebooks from a previous study, and it's all together, vs. the maps in 1 binder, writing in another and so on. My kids have many theme notebooks from previous years, they like to get them down, and read THEIR!! own history books they've made!

So that is my plan

kim

I had started making TOG workbooks, but now I am thinking of just going with a binder set up. How do you set up your binders?

Thanks! :D

Hi!

I use notebooks too... We use the weekly dividers used for classic TOG and then have each weeks work in the correct week..... I was thinking of changing this, but realized its still what works best for us....

So 36 week tabs.... and each weeks worth will go under the correct tab. Maps, SAPs and overview pages. Im free to add card stock for lapbook folds and they can place finished writing assignments in when done. Last year we placed the finished product in the week we finished, but this year it will be placed back in the week it was assigned. Even if it took 2 weeks to complete.... if it was assigned in week 2 and they finish in 4 it will go back to the week 2 tab.

This is what I'm planning to do. I still want to have everything ready up front, but I'm using binders so that I have the flexibility of swapping out assignments. So it'll be like a workbook, only bound in a 3-ring binder.

when we are done... I do plan to go have it spiral bound or comb bound at either our local ups store or Kinkos... Its only a few dollars per book.... its just a note book till then. :)