Menu

SOTW 2nd time around?

Walking-Iris

I'm just thinking ahead to the future. So how do you plan SOTW the second time through? I can't imagine that much of the AG would interest an older kid. Maybe some of the extra readings or some of the projects possibly, but the coloring pages wouldn't necessarily appeal to very many older kids. I can't imagine them wanting to hear it read aloud too much.

Do you just assign it as reading and then ask the review questions orally and expect written narrations? Do you have them outline the sections? Do you go through it at a faster pace so there's time to focus on separate Am History and Geography? Timeline? Maps? Add more documentaries? What about tests--are the SOTW tests geared toward the younger or older student?

Just curious what those who are in (or have done) a 2nd cycle through it do with it?

Well, I am on my second trip around. We just finished year 2. I have a (just finished) 6th grader and a (just finished) 1st grader. Only the firsty uses SOTW. The middle grade student has moved on to logic stage history. He has different requirements and books. He does, on occasion, listen in to our SOTW readings. He will certainly join in on any AG activities because he is that sort of kid. But, they are not his school books. He has outgrown them.

Like redsquirrel, we didn't choose to go through it again with the same students. There are many other resources out there that are better for logic stage students. Even if it were also geared toward logic stage students in addition to younger student, I think it's always valuable to get your history from more than one source.

Like redsquirrel, we didn't choose to go through it again with the same students. There are many other resources out there that are better for logic stage students. Even if it were also geared toward logic stage students in addition to younger student, I think it's always valuable to get your history from more than one source.

You know, this is what I was thinking. I know the assumption is that they cycle through it again, but as much as I like SOTW I think even I would get bored with it. I think it's enough to have them available for an older student to read on their own, while you do other things. And what are some of those other things that people have found useful for after SOTW?

We are like the others. Read WTM logic stage history and it will give you a better idea of what to do for 5th and up after they have gone through SOTW1-4. We will start our 2nd cycle in August. I will be doing SOTW1 again, as my youngest will be only in 3rd grade, so the older will probably listen in when I read to her. But no way is she interested in coloring anymore. She will use the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia as her spine and outline from it, keep a timeline, and write summaries weekly. Her literature will be scheduled for her from Classical House of Literature (but SOTW does provide plenty of lit suggestions for logic stage too, so I will pick those up at the library for her free reading if she wants them..) My younger will do the maps, coloring, and projects from SOTW. My older will participate in projects and they will do memorywork together. We will use our art time together to schedule in the best projects. We may even do ones that we did before just because we enjoyed them so much and the younger was so young the first time around.

As for reading aloud, my dd doesn't mind it. But mine have always been read aloud to. I never stopped just because they could read.

You know, this is what I was thinking. I know the assumption is that they cycle through it again, but as much as I like SOTW I think even I would get bored with it. I think it's enough to have them available for an older student to read on their own, while you do other things. And what are some of those other things that people have found useful for after SOTW?

We used OUP's ancient and medieval/early modern series. We're on our last year of logic stage history beginning in the fall and I'm planning on using historical encyclopedias this year since I haven't found an modern series that fits what I want. This way I'll be able to focus and what I think is important (including a nice long stop in the Soviet Union). We've also used Hakim for US history, although I think it's a little young for eight grade.

Come on up to the logic stage forum and look around. There are lots of history threads up there.

You might want to check out TWTM chapters on the logic stage. There is a lot of good information in there. You might want to consider listening to the SWB lecture about teaching writing in the middle grade years.