Menu

I am so sad...my sister is moving away :(

My one sister is my best friend, we talk almost every day, we eat dinner together about twice a month, my kids absolutely love her, infact when I had a hysterectomy at age 30, she carried a baby for me-my 8 year old. Right now she lives 2 miles from me. As soon as her house sells, they are moving from MT to WI. I am just so incredibly sad I can't describe it. I feel like she is going to disappear.

She is a nurse at a nursing home and they are so short staffed that she has been working 14-16 hours a day or more every day for months, she is tired. Her work doesn't plan on hiring any time soon. She doesn't want to work at the only hospital in town (which I work at but don't blame her for not wanting to) which leaves little options here in our town. They have 5 kids to support so she is moving. My BIL has a daughter there and will be able to see them. They have a house lined up there and everything.

It is only a 24 hour drive but we will probably only be able to make it once a year, maybe 2.

I feel like I am grieving a dying person. Sorry, this was so long. Our family is the textbook of dysfunction and we are the black sheep (because we are the most normal, if that makes sense!) We have stuck through a lot and now I am losing her. I am just sad.

Losing such a precious, close relationship is really hard - it is a loss.

I can only say, talk with her about it. She likely feels the same about losing this close connection with you. There is, of course, email, texting, etc but it is just not the same.

Maybe focusing on seeing them and visiting them at their new home or half way would be something to look forward to.

When something similar happened to me, I had to acknowledge it, grieve it and look for new ways to stay connected.

Losing such a precious, close relationship is really hard - it is a loss.

I can only say, talk with her about it. She likely feels the same about losing this close connection with you. There is, of course, email, texting, etc but it is just not the same.

Maybe focusing on seeing them and visiting them at their new home or half way would be something to look forward to.

When something similar happened to me, I had to acknowledge it, grieve it and look for new ways to stay connected.

I like this advice very much. I've been in the same situation except I was the sister that moved away. What was helpful was that my sister and I acknowledged our sadness and then moved on so that I could concentrate on my move and she could be supportive...instead of us focusing on the loss.

Our relationship was different due to distance but still close. We now live just a few miles apart!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: to you and your sister.

Get Skype set up, quick! I loved being able to see and talk with my sister.

A few times she skyped us knowing we were eating supper and she decided to eat with us! It was a riot! Of course, she was suggesting to the kids to start a food fight, since she was too far away for me to make her help clean it up! The little brat! :lol:

:grouphug::grouphug:

Definitely talk to her about how you're feeling.

I know it's not the same, but being military, I kind of liken this situation to a deployment. Unless we are very open and honest about how we're feeling about being apart, we tend to hold it in and allow it to stress us, which causes unnecessary stress and strain on the relationship. Trying to hold in the hurt, or avoid the hurt causes us to withdraw within ourselves and makes things worse.

HUGS!

I moved away from my sister years ago - it was very hard. And then she moved even further away, 24 hours from me so it takes two days to get there (I don't fly). We see her once a year, but sometimes not that. She didn't meet my son until he was 2 yrs old.

It was like a chunk of me was missing. We talk on the phone all the time but it's not the same. It was really hard on me. I dearly wish she was hear now especially since I have my son.

I feel your pain. :grouphug:

I will get skype set up, thanks for that! I had coffee at her house tonight and we looked up plane tickets to fly there. It is actually cheaper to fly than drive (if you take into consideration that if I drove myself with 2 kids in the car-gas hog Yukon that we would have at least 4 nights motel round trip) and time is money.