Menu

classroom style pull-down maps

Mrs.W

I'm considering buying a pull-down map set for our school room. We have very limited wall space so I would be mounting it above a window to pull down when we need it. A quick google search gave me many possibilities, so I'm a little overwhelmed.

Anyone have any experience with pull-down maps -- successes or failures? I hate to spend that kind of money and then not be happy with it. Thanks!

Cost and weight are what stopped me from using them.

I did as one mother suggested years ago .... Roll out window blind with velcro.

I spent a few dollars on a wide window shade. I attached velcro strips to the shade. I covered maps that I purchased in clear laminate (the roll). I attached velcro to the back of the maps. We kept maps that were not in use under the matress in the bedroom! LOL

Now, I laminate all of our maps and we leave them on the dining room table! Yes, I am getting older. The map serves as an activity area, placemat, etc. The extras are still under the matress, by the way!

I thought both were worth mentioning <giggle>.

I got a US/World set on Amazon for $153. I love them. They are huge and so easy to pull down and roll up when we are done. I can use wet erase markers on them too.

I am the one reviewer on amazon that said they were missing the backerboard that the listing said it comes with, but if you have a handy hubby I'm sure they could make something easy enough. My hubby is great with Nuclear power, but not so much with power tools/building , but I was able to find a really old map set that I could pop the backerboard off of and use for mine.

I got a US/World set on Amazon for $153. I love them. They are huge and so easy to pull down and roll up when we are done. I can use wet erase markers on them too.

I am the one reviewer on amazon that said they were missing the backerboard that the listing said it comes with, but if you have a handy hubby I'm sure they could make something easy enough. My hubby is great with Nuclear power, but not so much with power tools/building , but I was able to find a really old map set that I could pop the backerboard off of and use for mine.

Funny, I just read that review before I posted here. :) I wasn't really sure what the backerboard was for though or how essential it is for hanging. I'm glad you like it and it's good to know you can use the markers on it.

Thank you, everyone, for your input so far. Very helpful!