Menu

Schedule, time spent on IEW US History writing?

I'm looking at the IEW US History based writing lessons and can't get a feel for about how much time each lesson will take. We did SWI-B this year, and it didn't take much time at all. Not sure what to expect with US History.

I'm wondering how many day per week you use this and how much time spent each day. I think I saw it could be done in 24 or 34 weeks, but I'm still not clear on how that translates into time per day and days per week.

Thanks for any input. Oh, it's Volume 1 if that matters.

Hi Heidi,

I asked this same question several weeks ago and never got an answer. Not sure why?:confused: I am using it with my 5th grade twins and am planning to schedule it for four days a week, 30 minute lessons, with Fridays on an "as needed" basis. Subject to change:)

Hi Heidi,

I asked this same question several weeks ago and never got an answer. Not sure why?:confused: I am using it with my 5th grade twins and am planning to schedule it for four days a week, 30 minute lessons, with Fridays on an "as needed" basis. Subject to change:)

Thank you. Yikes, I didn't think it'd be that much time! Have you used IEW before?

No, I've not used it and that's why I'm merely guessing here. I think I read somewhere that it would be at least an hour in a classroom situation plus the "homework" of writing and editing their work so that's why I figured basically two hours of work a week. It's truly a guestimate and maybe we won't need that much time. I'd rather plan for more time and not need it than to need more time and not have planned for it, yes?:)

No, I've not used it and that's why I'm merely guessing here. I think I read somewhere that it would be at least an hour in a classroom situation plus the "homework" of writing and editing their work so that's why I figured basically two hours of work a week. It's truly a guestimate and maybe we won't need that much time. I'd rather plan for more time and not need it than to need more time and not have planned for it, yes?:)

Thank you! Hoping we get some other responses!

As a general rule, it is good to allow one hour for instruction per lesson, but notice that some lessons are broken into two weeks.

Then add another hour per paragraph. IEW paragraphs take much more thinking than the paragraphs I remember writing when I was in school. ;)

As a general rule, it is good to allow one hour for instruction per lesson, but notice that some lessons are broken into two weeks.

Then add another hour per paragraph. IEW paragraphs take much more thinking than the paragraphs I remember writing when I was in school. ;)

Thank you, this is helpful to me. And very close to what I planned, we'll see how it works out in "real time".