Menu

Can someone answer a quick question for me about KISS Grammar?

HappyGrace

I have looked at this many times and ran away due to the complexity of understanding how to implement it, but I want to try to figure it out because it looks perfect for my dc.

My question-do I just go to the page in the link below, and for a 4th grader, scroll down to Level 1 and click on the one that says "For Students In 4th Grade", and the same for level 2 and level 3.1 and then there is no other level for 4th grade, so I just start the next yr and do the same thing for any 5th grade levels I see? And I teach from the "Instructional Materials" that I occasionally see linked therein? Or am I totally misunderstanding?

http://home.pct.edu/~evavra/kiss/wb/PBooks/index.htm

nver mind-i found an old thread and from reading that, I think my above post is correct.

Except I'll prbly start with the 3rd grade instead, working through levels 1, 2 and so on of the 3rd grade.

AND I had planned to do MCT Town with him this yr, and after reading old threads, I still think I want to do MCT first, to get the "big picture" and then move on to KISS.

You want Level 1, 3rd grade workbook.

After Level 1, do Level 2, 3rd grade workbook or 6th grade workbook. (your student would be 5th then, so 6th may be closer)

After Level 2, do Level 3.1, 6th grade workbook. (your student would be 6th)

After Level 3.1, do Level 3.2, 6th grade workbook.

After Level 3.2, do Level 4, 6th grade workbook.

Then you're done with grammar. :D

During that time, there may be other workbooks added. All of the grade level exercises teach the same thing. It's the KISS levels that change. So you just want to move from KISS Level 1 through KISS level 4 over the course of 3-4 years. Change grade levels as appropriate for source text (you can even change in the middle of the book if you want... Level 1.2 Grade 3 would go seemlessly into Level 1.3 Grade 6). The grade levels are very different from traditional grammar programs, so that's the confusing part initially. Once you figure that part out, it's an "Aha!" moment, and using KISS truly is easy. :lol:

All of the grade level exercises teach the same thing. It's the KISS levels that change. So you just want to move from KISS Level 1 through KISS level 4 over the course of 3-4 years. Change grade levels as appropriate for source text (you can even change in the middle of the book if you want... Level 1.2 Grade 3 would go seemlessly into Level 1.3 Grade 6).

That is the most to-the-point good description of KISS I've ever heard-they need to have that on the website-lol!

So I had it right, except for I didn't realize each level may take a year (which is a huge point.)

Thanks, BoscoP!