Menu

What should we do/see in Phoenix?

We are going to Phoenix for a business trip next week. We get there two days before the conference starts and I rented a convertible to surprise dh. I'm looking for suggestions for things to see and do. It's just dh and I. Dd is going on a trip with grandparents at th same time.

Gosh, I don't even know what to do out here just as adults, lol. I will warn you that our forecast is in the 109-111 range, so bring sunscreen, especially if you plan to be in a convertible! I vote for lounging at the hotel/pool.

Since you are renting a convertible, I suggest heading north out of the city and driving to Sedona.

I always suggest getting out of the city, though. ;) What kinds of things do you like? shopping? museums? nice restaurants? golf?

How far is Sedona? I'll have to look that up. One of the best trips we've ever taken was when I was pregnant with dd. We rented a convertible in San Diego and drove around with no particular agenda. I was thinking the same sort of thing would be nice but I'm not familiar with what areas would be nice to drive around and sight-see.

How about you drive that fancy convertible over to some of our fabulous air-conditioned museums. The Heard Museum is one of our favorites. The Desert Botanical Garden has a flashlight tour every Thursday and Saturday night that we love to do in the summer. If it were just DH and I, I'd relax at one of our resorts for two days. They all have great rates during the summer.

We are going to Phoenix for a business trip next week. We get there two days before the conference starts and I rented a convertible to surprise dh. I'm looking for suggestions for things to see and do. It's just dh and I. Dd is going on a trip with grandparents at th same time.

Really depends on what you are into. Taliesin West is very interesting for those into architecture. The Musical Instrument Museum is a little-known treasure. The Heard museum has a national reputation. Scottsdale has high-end shopping. Might be interesting for you to try a Sonoran-Mexican restaurant, which is very different than Tex-Mex. While there's interesting hiking in and around Phoenix, it may not be the right time of year for it. Phoenix itself is kind of like LA, I don't know that just driving around without a destination is going to be as fun as, say, San Diego. There are lots of day trips, from Bisbee and Tucson Southward, to Sedona, scenic canyons, Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon northward. The higher elevations as you go up to Flagstaff result in a much lower temperature.

Yes! I second the votes for the Musical Instrument Museum (fascinating) and Taliesen West. DH took his visiting sister there a few months ago and found it do inspiring that he purchased an annual membership. Mexican food is, of course, a must. We really like Bario Cafe downtown. Los Dos Molinos is another good one.

The Heard Museum

The Deer Valley Rock Art Center

The Arizona Biltmore is neat to see/eat/get a drink...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We're staying at the Biltmore for the conference and have heard that it is very nice. I'm sure there will be lots of time spent at the pool during those days. I'm going to make a list of the museums for dh to look through when we arrive and we'll figure something out. Good meals are always on my list so we'll try to check out those restaurants as well.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We're staying at the Biltmore for the conference and have heard that it is very nice. I'm sure there will be lots of time spent at the pool during those days. I'm going to make a list of the museums for dh to look through when we arrive and we'll figure something out. Good meals are always on my list so we'll try to check out those restaurants as well.

Oh, you will love it. Dh & I stayed out there once when he had to for work & the Arizona Biltmore was just lovely. The pool is fabulous (and welcome in the searing heat).

(Not to scare you, but, uh, just be on the lookout for scorpions. :tongue_smilie: Some hotel worker came looking for one in our room because someone had called about one. We never saw one, but I did always check my shoes before putting them on. I found that a little freaky when I was out there because I'm not really used to that where we live.)

Yeah... ahem. My husband has a convertible and let's just say that it's got it's top on, air conditioner blasting.

:lol:

Be sure to drink LOTS of water while there. I also was not used to dry heat (I'm from a humid area) & the dry heat was very hard on me. Keep water w/ you at all times, esp. if you're not used to arid areas like that.

I was actually in Phoenix last July and it was over 100. I drank lots of water and was amazed that I could walk six blocks rom my hotel to the inference I attended without sweating. It is 11pm here in Texas right now and I swear I would sweat if I walked across the street.

Oh! If you are staying at the Biltmore, eat at Chelsea's Kitchen (40th St. & Camelback) ~ it's yummy and fun ~ kind of spendy, but worth it!

It's going to be a scorcher this week ~ hold on to your hats. :001_smile:

If you go a little further west on Camelback (and a tiny bit south) to Central and Camelback, there is Luxe (a great coffee shop) and right next door is Pane Bianco for awesome sandwiches.

Enjoy!

Julie

Oh! If you are staying at the Biltmore, eat at Chelsea's Kitchen (40th St. & Camelback) ~ it's yummy and fun ~ kind of spendy, but worth it!

It's going to be a scorcher this week ~ hold on to your hats. :001_smile:

If you go a little further west on Camelback (and a tiny bit south) to Central and Camelback, there is Luxe (a great coffee shop) and right next door is Pane Bianco for awesome sandwiches.

Enjoy!

Julie

Both of these restaurants are wonderful!