Menu

Help me choose an eReader thingy-bob

I'm not super familiar with these. The only things I can think off out of my head include Nook (almost certainly not), Kindle, and iPads.

My mom has/had a Colby something-or-other that she could check her email on.

I don't need to check email. Mostly, 95% all I need is an eReader. I'd like color, and looking at Kindles today saw that there is a full keyboard option. (Although, to be honest, I'm not quite sure why one would need to be typing anything at all?)

I want to read my Kindle freebie downloads, and my TOS magazine, and soon we will get an Amazon student account so there are perks with that as well. Whatever device I get will need to read Kindle format.

Here's the thing - I'd also like something that does educational apps. Just because I think it would be nice. But I can't really spend $200 (let alone upwards of $500 for an iPad). I dont' need internet surfing - just eReader for Kindle and apps.

Is there a simple eReader that does apps, or do I have to go Kindle Fire? Are there less expensive versions that will do the exact same thing? (My mother's Colby, Koby, whatever it is, died. 6 months old and it died. Not impressed.)

Do my choices include only to cough up bucks for a tablet thingy or to be happy with just the reader version? Really hoping for an in-between here!

Thanks!

I think you're talking about two different things.

Ereaders mimic ink on paper and, essentially, their purpose is to store ebooks for reading. They're easier on the eyes than backlit screens.

Tablets are color and have apps. The Nook Color and Kindle Fire are both android tablets, not ereaders. Their primary purpose is apps, not reading.

You can get Nook and Kindle apps for any tablet, but I'm not sure you can get a Nook app on a Kindle or vice versa; the OS is proprietary on both and their have their own app stores for their proprietary gizmos.

I had a similar question and asked a friend who is very into those devices. She told me to wait because everybody is coming out with something new and better in the next few months, presumably for the same cost as the soon to be lesser products ;)

I think you're talking about two different things.

That's what I was afraid of. :glare: Since the most important thing to me IS a reader, we'll do fine without apps. I was just hoping. I can't shell out an extra $100-$300 just to have apps, and if the tablets aren't up-to-par as far as the eReader part goes, then it is TRULY not worth it for us.

On a side note, I noticed your siggy to see you're a twins momma! :D One day when my twins are big enough for school (they'll be 2 in September) I will be hounding this board for help, I'm sure. :tongue_smilie:

She told me to wait because everybody is coming out with something new and better in the next few months,

Yeah, I'm not planning on it before Christmas probably anyway. I just like to do my research and know what I want before-hand. I figure we've got 6 months, 4 months til shopping season - it's time to decide what I want for Christmas. Right? :lol: Good to know I'll have a few more options to research before long. ;) Thanks!

Just to help since you have already gotten some good advice...

The Kindle 3 with keyboard and 3G does have a rudimentary browser so you can check email. It is clunky but works in a pinch.

It has the ability to play mp3s as well.

There are a few game apps that also are made for it that work well too.

If you want an ereader to read your amazon stuff a Kindle is great. We have the basic $79 model and it has an experimental browser so I can check my email with wifi in a pinch.

It has a few games "active" content. Mostly wordy games and simple fun ones.

For Color or apps go with a Fire or a Color Nook or Nook tablet.

It has a few games "active" content. Mostly wordy games and simple fun ones.

I wondered this. It might make my decision for me, thanks!

Except I think I want the next one up that has a full keyboard. Not sure yet.

And after talking with family this weekend, and remembering that a lot of phones have apps also, I think we might go that route - an ereader for those purposes, and with tax return finally get cell phones including one that will do fun educational apps. :)

Thanks!

• 1 year later...