Menu

What's your favorite at-home standardized test?

I'll be testing my dc for the first time next April and I'm just curious ...

Which test should I use? I am not using this for state reporting purposes so I am going to administer it myself. I would like it to he a written, timed test with clear directions for me, the proctor.

I am only concerned with skill-set areas.

Last, what is the best test-prep book and how do you use it?

I give the CAT survey test from Seton. It covers only English and math. It is timed the directions are precisely scripted. It is timed. The scores are returned pretty quickly. I use whichever book it is that Seton sell (but I buy i locally). We use it just to get an idea of content and to practice filling in circles. The test book has more subjects than the test (I think it is for the CAT-5 instead of the survey test).

I give the CAT survey test from Seton. It covers only English and math. It is timed the directions are precisely scripted. It is timed. The scores are returned pretty quickly. I use whichever book it is that Seton sell (but I buy i locally). We use it just to get an idea of content and to practice filling in circles. The test book has more subjects than the test (I think it is for the CAT-5 instead of the survey test).

We use the CAT from Seton Testing Services as well. I've always been happy with the service. It is only $25 per child. The tests are administered by me and always returned quickly. We don't test for results though, but rather because it is required by our state law.

I don't use any test prep book. I bought them one year from Seton and used them, but it was unnecessary for us. I would be more likely to use it if there was a specific reason *to* use them for an individual student, but I have no reason at all to use them with either of my kids. The tests are, imo, ridiculously easy for the average student performing at grade level.

I have only tested for the last three years, but I have used the CAT (survey and complete battery) and the ITBS (complete battery). In my experience, the ITBS appears to be more thorough than the CAT, especially the $25 CAT survey. If you are interested in knowing more information about your kids' skills, then I would recommend the ITBS.

We always tested with our small group until this year. the group thing fell apart.

So I did the Stanford 10 untimed . you have to have a degree to give it.

They also had an online option too.

I got it from Abeka who just this year got into testing. They have a small window of opportunity though.

This is the one I have been using for years.

I have only tested for the last three years, but I have used the CAT (survey and complete battery) and the ITBS (complete battery). In my experience, the ITBS appears to be more thorough than the CAT, especially the $25 CAT survey. If you are interested in knowing more information about your kids' skills, then I would recommend the ITBS.

Yes. I will be giving the test to actually get information, not just to pass a state requirement. So I'd like a breakdown of seperate LA, kinds of math, etc.

I think I'll go with CLP. Thanks everyone!