Menu

Mongolian spots

Mongolian spots!  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Mongolian spots!

• Yes, I'd totally know it wasn't a bruise.
    • I've heard of them, but may not know on sight what it is.
    • What on earth is a Mongolian spot?
    • I like to vote in polls!

Both dc had them on their backsides when they were younger. DD's was more glaring because she is fairer than DS, but both had them most of the time they were still in diapers. I had no idea what they were until my dc were born -- I have never seen them in my family, although they are common in DH's family.

I first encountered them when babysitting for my now dearest friend. I had only been watching her 2 kids [18 mos & 6 weeks] for a couple of months. Had to do a big diaper change for the older child and saw the mark. Oh my goodness! I didn't know what to think. I sat on that info for a few days and then realized she may think I had done something. That's when I decided to mention it. She educated me and then I educated others as her children grew and she had more.

I also had a friend whose daughter's right arm looks like someone grabber her hard. She carried a notarized dr's note with her at all times.

OP, I am sorry if someone gave you a hard time.

I didn't know what they were and I googled it and they don't very much look like bruises to me. Though, even if I thought it was a bruise, I don't usually jump to the conclusion that the parent caused the bruise in any way. (Which is what I assume led to this poll.) :grouphug:

-Mom of two very active, somewhat clumsy, bruised up children. :)

Both of my sons had very large mongolian spots. DS #1 had one that covered his buttocks and part of his back. I had a nurse ask at a well child check-up if it was a bruise. Thank goodness the doctor knew what it was.

I'm curious how anyone could think that a small baby could possibly be content/happy with a bruise that size. It would certainly hurt like heck and would cause quite a bit of discomfort.

I've heard of them but had never seen one, or knew it if I did. We have a majority white population here, fwiw. How in the world do you distinguish that from a bruise?

If you only see it once I would say the uniform color, bruises generally have different colors. It really does look like a blue birth mark.

Edited by Sis

If you only see it once I would say the uniform color, bruises generally have different colors. It really does look like a blue birth mark.

:iagree:

Bruises THAT big (many spots cover a large majority of a baby's bottom half) would be tender to the touch...and you'd probably see broken skin/bones or some other evidence of a physical trauma if it were a bruise.

:iagree:

Bruises THAT big (many spots cover a large majority of a baby's bottom half) would be tender to the touch...and you'd probably see broken skin/bones or some other evidence of a physical trauma if it were a bruise.

Thanks for answering, I don't think I've seen that before.

I adopted a sweet little Hispanic baby at five days old. She had a large Mongolian spot on her lower back, just above her buttocks. First time I saw it, I was horrified! Of course, being Caucasian and having never seen one, I thought she might have been abused in foster care or the like. Thankfully, the pediatrician was there to straighten me out! Now, I recognize them whenever I see one.

BTW, DD's has faded over time and is now barely noticeable. I can see a brief shadow of where it was over her bathing suit bottoms, but you'd miss it if you didn't know what had been there before.

I would have not known 3 years ago. Until my grandson was born with large Mongolian spots on his rear, back, and leg I had no clue. I wanted to know immediately "How did he get those?", right there in the emergency room. The nurse educated me very quickly.

I would think that I would not jump to any conclusions..... but i did. Sigh.

I've certainly seen them and I *think* I would recognize it... but if I had just met the child, I might have to look twice.

As an infant one of my ds had a largeish strawberry smack in the middle of his head. (It's still slightly there but his hair now covers it). It's amazing how many people had no idea what it was and how many times I had to explain that no, I had not dropped him, it was a natural birthmark... So I guess I'm not that surprised.