Menu

How much paint does it take to paint a small kids room?

Just trying to get an idea. I have 4 quarts of sugared lime paint we got free a while back, and I'd like to give my dd's room some color {it's currently white}. But if there isn't enough I'll use it to do my kitchen instead.

So - her room is about 8x9 - is 4 quarts enough paint? I would be leaving the ceiling white fwiw.

I think that would be pushing it. What about doing two opposing walls, leaving the other two white. It'll look intentional. Then, if you still have half the paint left, go for doing the other two.

Well, I just did my daughter's room (8 X 10). I bought one gallon and used about 3/4 of it. But, I only did one coat because the colors were very similar. You should be able to get away with one coat too since you're not covering a dark cover. So, I say yes, but I would want to know that if something went wrong you would be able to get more if needed of the same color.

Just trying to get an idea. I have 4 quarts of sugared lime paint we got free a while back, and I'd like to give my dd's room some color {it's currently white}. But if there isn't enough I'll use it to do my kitchen instead.

So - her room is about 8x9 - is 4 quarts enough paint? I would be leaving the ceiling white fwiw.

It's close, but I would probably purchase 2 gallons. You might not get an even coverage and will have none to recover the wall. Lime in a kitchen would be great!

Could you paint the top half in the sugared lime, then paint a stencil across the middle?

I think that would be pushing it. What about doing two opposing walls, leaving the other two white. It'll look intentional. Then, if you still have half the paint left, go for doing the other two.

I would, but dd has vetoed that idea. She has mild OCD and I think it would get on her nerves that they all didn't match. However now she has decided she wants bubblegum pink not green, so green kitchen it is! I might repaint her bed with it too though since I will have more than enough to do my tiny kitchen, and I think the green would look good with pink. I might do her doors and window trim too if I have enough.

This is Glidden paint I got free through an online promo a while back, so I know if I need more I can get it. Just really don't have the funds for it right now, so I am trying to use what I have on hand.

Now - anyone have painting tips? :D Do I need to scrub the walls first?

If this is a new house especially, make sure you prime the walls! I thought our house was painted by the builders, but apparently their paint is mostly water.:glare:

So, when I thought a gallon would cover our kitchen easily with two coats, I barely could get one coat because it soaked it all up!

If this is a new house especially, make sure you prime the walls! I thought our house was painted by the builders, but apparently their paint is mostly water.:glare:

So, when I thought a gallon would cover our kitchen easily with two coats, I barely could get one coat because it soaked it all up!

:iagree: YES! We had this very same issue. Took TONS of paint the first time.

I painted three different 9X10 rooms in various situations and they all required one gallon. First time painted a light pink over white. Two coats of primer and two coats of paint. Came out perfect and their was a small amount of leftovers for touch up. Second time painted extreme fushia over white. Two coats of primer and two coats of color. Still got excellent coverage with small amount of left over. Last time we painted baby pastel green over the fushia. This time two coats of primer plus two coats of the paint and primer in one. Came out perfect. You can't even tell that the walls used to be screaming pink. We still have a small amount left over from that as well. We also did a 12X14 room twice and only needed a gallon of it for two coats as well.

If you wanted to be safer than sorry, buy another quart of that or a white with that same base and then mix them all together very well. Then you will have five quarts of the exact same color and it should definitely be enough.