Menu

Oh, Canadian History...please, please put me out of my misery!

Hope in God

Why is it so difficult to find any good resources for Canadian History??:glare:

I just can't pull it together because *confession coming up* though I was born and raised in Canada, Canadian History has never really interested me like World History. I wonder if this is because of the stunning lack of interesting Canadian History progams out there that include historical fiction?

I would be ever so much grateful to know what the other Canadians on the board do for Canadian History!

Yes, there are some great Canadian History book lists on Sonlight. I found Modern History Through Canadian Eyes by Heather Penner helpful to coordinate everthing. She schedules resources chronologically, from Aboriginals through the 90's, with several different spines to choose from, as well as correlating world history selections, particularly SOTW.

Yes, there are some great Canadian History book lists on Sonlight. I found Modern History Through Canadian Eyes by Heather Penner helpful to coordinate everthing. She schedules resources chronologically, from Aboriginals through the 90's, with several different spines to choose from, as well as correlating world history selections, particularly SOTW.

This sounds like a great book but Amazon doesn't seem to have it. Do you know who sells it (I will do some searching myself)? I hope that it isn't out of print.

We're following a Canadian history timeline. At each point on the line we read related books and watch a corresponding episode of Canada A People's History.

I wrote the entire thing out on my blog if you want to check it out. We're a quarter of the way through and enjoying it.

What a great blog. I think I am going to be spending a lot of time there! By the way, what a cute house!

Wait, there is actually Canadian history worth spending time on :tongue_smilie:

Just kidding (sorta).

I don't recall it ever being as interesting or fun to learn as world history or US history. I had one awesome history teacher in high school and even HE couldn't get people excited about it.

I've purposefully neglected Canadian history - I think I'll wait until they are at least teenagers. For now, we are focussing on the rest of the world.

If there is a spectacular resource, and I do mean SPECTACULAR, for the elementary grades (K-8) - i am all :bigear:

Maybe SWB should write something for us canucks - SOTW Canada. LOL

Wait, there is actually Canadian history worth spending time on :tongue_smilie:

Just kidding (sorta).

I don't recall it ever being as interesting or fun to learn as world history or US history. I had one awesome history teacher in high school and even HE couldn't get people excited about it.

I've purposefully neglected Canadian history - I think I'll wait until they are at least teenagers. For now, we are focussing on the rest of the world.

If there is a spectacular resource, and I do mean SPECTACULAR, for the elementary grades (K-8) - i am all :bigear:

Maybe SWB should write something for us canucks - SOTW Canada. LOL

:iagree:No kidding! The canucks need a little love too!:D

I'm using Canada: A People's History DVD series as an introduction to Canadian history this year.

We've used that. Pierre Berton books (Vimy, Arctic Grail) are fantastic for older kids and there's even a series on Canadian history for younger kinds.

We are dng Can History for the next two years and I am finding Modern History Through Canadian Eyes absolutely invaluable as a resource to help me fit it all together.

I plan to use The Story of Canada by Janet Lunn and My First History of Canada by Donalda Dickie, maybe some Spotlight Canada. I'll coordinate that with SOTW 3 & 4 and a bunch of other supplements, most listed in Penner's book.

I've never liked Can history either but actually find I'm getting excited about it while pulling this all together :)

I quite enjoy Modern history through canadian eyes. It gives you teh list of books to use and breaks each one down by weeks. Easy to use. I use it alongside core D. Buy MHTCE from any homeschool supplier in Canada. I got my copy at canadian home education resources in Calgary but I am sure there is a supplier in BC.

We also have Janet Lunn's "The Story of Canada" and will be using that at some point in the future as well. I bought that from Chapters when they had an 80% off sale at some point. Not sure if anyone still carries it.

We just recently got this and it looks really good. I would say it is geared for grades 4-8. Beautifully illustrated.

Each year there are two conventions that I know of, in BC. One is in Kelowna and the other is now held in Abbotsford. The first was in April and the second at the start of this month. By going to a convention you can avoid the shipping and taxes, at least for those books that are not available through Chapters, Amazon.ca or Bookdepository. I buy most of my US curricula through US suppliers though, because even with the shipping, it works out cheaper for me.

Another resource to look at is, "My First History of Canada" by Donalda Dickie. I picked that up at our convention last year. It is out of print so I am not sure what suppliers still carry it. I know ADS in New Westminster (here in BC) still has a few copies. We will be using that the following year, but I may also get Donna Ward's "Courage and Conquest" and then her Geography program for grade 5, the year after that.

We also have Janet Lunn's "The Story of Canada" and will be using that at some point in the future as well. I bought that from Chapters when they had an 80% off sale at some point. Not sure if anyone still carries it.

I was going to buy Modern History Through Canadian Eyes last year but decided against it because I was finding too many of the books mentioned were already out of print or were going out of print. I grabbed the ones I could find but decided against the cost for Modern History. I would rather spend the money on Donna Ward's programs at this point and have everything ready to go.

We also own several of the "Kids Book of... " series, and have used those last year and this year. We like that series. I am linking a couple for you to check out.

http://www.amazon.ca/Kids-Book-Canada-Barbara-Greenwood/dp/1550743155/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339646544&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.ca/Kids-Book-Canadian-History/dp/1550748688/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339646554&sr=8-1

Also check out some of the books that are used as resources in the Donna Ward programs. There are some nice book recommendations in her site.

I was at the Abbotsford convention. Usually I think to order in advance and pick up at the convention but not this year.:confused: Thanks for the tip about ADS having that book. I think I'll put together an order.

I am using Dent's Canadian Readers along with her regular work. It starts out with My First Book of Canada and moves on. You will need to speak to your child about Natives and the way that our understanding has progressed since the books were written, although they are not awful.

Anything by Donalda Dickie is good.

I have a bunch of Canadian history books for children; I will take a look when I get a chance later today IYH.

Here's another great book that has sadly gone out of print :(. If you can find it anywhere, grab it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Spirit-Canada-Canadas-Legends-Fiction/dp/1894121147/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339646838&sr=8-1

We have that book, I didn't know it was out of print now. For those of you looking for it contact Loralee at 4 your Mind. She runs a homeschool supply store out of her home here in Alberta. Fabulous lady I spent year in park group with her before she started her store. Anyway that is where I bought my copy of that book last year, so contact her and see if she has any left in stock.

4 Your Mind Educational Services Inc.

(780) 485-0969

I just spent the last two years pulling together Canadian history with Cores 3&4/D&E and although we learned a lot I never want to do it again ;) I wish I would have at least seriously previewed a good Canadian history book before I started! It would have saved me tons of confusion.

I used the Cores as the base and then added in the Kid's Book of Canadian History and Donna Ward's Courage and Conquest and lots of books from her suggestions. I just went through and found out what my library had and used those. The problem with C&C is that it doesn't come anywhere near modern times so I've had to improvise for the last century and also it has some lame timeline pictures. (lame when you're used to using SL's book of time and stickers!)

I also used her Prime Ministers notebooking pages which have been great in conjunction with a book I stumbled upon at our library, "Unusual Heroes" that give a brief, entertaining bio on each PM.

We've done a notebooking page on each of the 1st Nations tribes as we encountered them throughout.

I have Modern History Through Canadian Eyes but didn't use it like I thought I would. I also started off with Donalda Dickie's "First History of Canada" but got discouraged when it didn't even include the War of 1812 :confused:

It's felt like a jumbled, unorganized journey, but as I look back my kids each have a decent "History of North America" notebook that I'm going to have bound. I'll be much more organized by the time my littles come along to do it and I'll purposely do more notebooking. All in all not bad for 2 kids and teacher who knew *NOTHING* about Canadian History 2 year ago! You can do it :)