Menu

Abandoned kittens? Somwhat yucky stuff inside...

My friend's kid found some abandoned kittens in the woods near their house. They found two a few days ago (one of those died), found a dead adult cat on the road the same day, but found another batch of kittens today. The one they found a few days ago just opened its eyes yesterday. They got some kitten formula for the one a few days ago and it seems to be doing okay.

The rest of them are not doing so well. One of them was already dead and the other two are covered in maggots, "bazillions of them." They are coming out of the kittens ears and nose and everything. What can they do? Anything? What are the chances that these other two kittens will make it? She cannot afford to take them to the vet at this time.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Are there any animal rescue type shelters or humane societies nearby? I'd look into that.

Our local no-kill shelter charges $50 per kitten to take in an abandoned kitten. I know because one of my other friends rescued a kitten when she was visiting me. I refused to take it back to my house, so we paid the money. :tongue_smilie:

I agree that a shelter might be the best option. They obviously need medical care and you said your friend cannot afford to do that. Another option is to call the vets in the area and see if one will care for them anyway. We have a local vet who does emergency care on abandoned/stray animals for no charge.

It sounds awful, though... :crying:

I would call a rescue and ask them for advice. If she is willing to care for the animals they will likely be willing to give her some suggestions.

If she can't find someone to give her advice, pm me and I will see if my MIL will be willing to talk to her on the phone. She used to specialize in the 0-12week kittens at a rescue in Bend, Oregon.

Our local no-kill shelter charges $50 per kitten to take in an abandoned kitten. I know because one of my other friends rescued a kitten when she was visiting me. I refused to take it back to my house, so we paid the money. :tongue_smilie:

That's crazy. What if you just left the kitten on the shelter's doorstep after hours (in a box or whatever, with air holes)?

I would call a rescue and ask them for advice. If she is willing to care for the animals they will likely be willing to give her some suggestions.

If she can't find someone to give her advice, pm me and I will see if my MIL will be willing to talk to her on the phone. She used to specialize in the 0-12week kittens at a rescue in Bend, Oregon.

Thanks, I'm going to PM you.

And it does seem crazy to charge that much for people to drop off a kitten, but this is a military town with a HUGE base. Sadly, pet abandonment happens a lot. :(

If the kittens have fly strike, it is really tough to save them. The flies that lay those eggs are rather remarkable. They seem to know when an animal is about to die. I know in cattle there is a spray known as screw worm spray that you can spray on the area. However, you have to be careful of the amount. I have no idea if it is even labeled for kittens and if it was you'd have to be VERY careful not to spray much on.

I'm sorry. Seeing all of that leaves a lasting impression. :grouphug:

I've been away from the computer, dealing with all of this, so I totally missed that Mrs. Mungo had made a thread on my behalf.

The amount of maggots was bizarre...honestly, like something from a movie. We've significantly decreased the amount, but they are still coming out (from the ears and her anus).

I just wanted to give the thread a bump, and see if anyone ended up with any other advice. My older dd is continuing to remove them with tweezers, but I'm beginning to feel like this will all be for naught. This may sound like a stupid question...but I'm going to ask it anyway. If we're seeing maggots in her anus, does that mean that they've also more than likely burrowed farther up in her digestive track somewhere?

I've spoken with the children, and they are well aware that these two kittens will more than likely not make it. But, we've talked about how they would have had a slow and miserable death in the woods, and at least we've cleaned them up, warmed them up, and given them some comfort.

So, if there is any advice that could prove helpful for us, feel free to post or PM me. Please, no flames for not being able to afford the vet...it just isn't an option. We're trying to do the best we can for animals that aren't our own.

Leave them at a vet's office. PUt them out front a bit before opening in the morning. They won't like it, but will care for them. (ask me how I know...). And they will be able to tell if they are able to be saved. If not, they will put them down humanely rather than letting them suffer. Baby kittens have to be fed constantly, need worming desperately, and have to be stimulated to pee and poop before and after every feeding. If they already have maggots they probably are already dying. Please take them to a vet or shelter. Even a kill shelter.

That's crazy. What if you just left the kitten on the shelter's doorstep after hours (in a box or whatever, with air holes)?

DO NOT DO THIS! In my area, they have cameras outside and they will prosecute anyone who leaves animals after hours. It is considered animal dumping and workers often show up at the shelter to find the animal dead because it escaped and got hit by a car, suffocated in a too tightly sealed box, or strangled on a chain that was used to tie the animal to the door. Call the shelter or local vets, tell them you can't afford care, and ask what you should do.

Leave them at a vet's office. PUt them out front a bit before opening in the morning. They won't like it, but will care for them. (ask me how I know...). And they will be able to tell if they are able to be saved. If not, they will put them down humanely rather than letting them suffer. Baby kittens have to be fed constantly, need worming desperately, and have to be stimulated to pee and poop before and after every feeding. If they already have maggots they probably are already dying. Please take them to a vet or shelter. Even a kill shelter.

I've spoken with someone that feels she may know of a vet that will take them at no cost. I'm waiting on her to call me back. Otherwise, dh is going to find somewhere to drop them off. Quite honestly (and once again, no flames), we're already rescuing one kitten to keep as a pet, and I just can't manage to take on two more (financially or mentally).

I'm happy that we found the original one before all of this. Actually, one of our dogs found her, but didn't have time to harm her. She has thrived, done very well with the kitty replacement formula, and has responded well to being stimulated to pee and poop. We had never rescued a kitten before (only puppies), but she seems to be doing well. She was fortunate to be found by our puppy before the mother cat died, and therefore wasn't malnourished and avoided the subsequent maggot infestation.

I'm hoping to hear back from the lady within the hour...so, fingers crossed this vet will be willing to take them. Thanks for the advice!

I talked to MIL

She says that if there are maggots there is likely blood coming from somewhere and that they are likely very ill. She suggests taking them to a shelter, where they can care for them or make the decision to put them down if needed. She suspects that the maggots/blood could be from afterbirth that wasn't cleaned up by the mom or another kitten that died.

I asked her for her advice if you decided to to try to keep them:

1. Bath them in warm water with baby shampoo. Dry with a warm towel, not a hair dryer.

2. If their eyes are not open, do not open them. If they are crusty, use water/baby shampoo on cotton balls or the tip of a wash cloth to clean the crusty away.

3. Kitten formula can be bought a Wallmart or Pet stores. Get a kitten bottle. She says they often do not have holes in the bottle, so use a hot needle to melt a hole in them. If you have tiny, very sharp scissors, cut a small X over the hole to make it easy to get a flow going. She says the bottle should drip when held upside down. Feed the kittens every 2-3 hours around the clock (!) but don't force it on them. The kitten formula will say every 4-6 hours, but she says they are likely malnourished and need to be fed more often until they seem to be getting better. Alternate with pedialyte (see #5) every hour. She would expect little kittens to eat 'one mark' on a kitten bottle at each feeding. You may need to 'pinch their cheeks together' the first few times you feed them to get them started. After that they should do it on their own. Don't use an eye dropper to feed them, they can choke too easy. Do not feed them laying on their back.

4. FYI: If the kittens have teeth and/or ears are standing up they are not newborns. If they have teeth they will be at least 20 days old, ears stand up around the same time their eyes open 7-10 days.

5. If they were abandoned, they are most assuredly dehydrated. She says that they need clear/unflavored pedialyte ASAP. She says to give them as much as they will drink for the next 3 days.

6. Newborn kittens ears may not be open either. Do not try to clean the ears with anything like peroxide.

7. Each time they eat you need to stimulate a pee/poop. Newborns poop once daily. Use a bit of warm water on a cotton ball to stimulate the 'pee-pee' and anus.

8. At around 4 weeks you can start with canned food kitten food from Petsmart.

She says she may have different advice depending on how old they are.

She says you can call her if you would like. PM me if you want to have her number. She is in PST.

Treatment of myiasis is to remove the maggots physically. Maggots are quite hardy and can be difficult to kill safely. Many potent insecticides can kill maggots but they put the weak and debilitated pet in danger of insecticide poisoning.

Shaving the hair from the affected area is the first step. After hair removal, the extent of the maggot infestation can now be seen. Frequently, the maggots hide under the hair coat and extend a lot further than initially suspected.

After shaving, physically removing the maggots – sometimes one at a time – is the next step. Frequently, there are hundreds of tiny maggots that burrow under the skin, and removal of all maggots may take several hours.

Mild insecticide can be applied briefly and then washed off to reduce potential harm to the pet.

After removal of the maggots, the skin must be allowed to heal. In severe cases, sections of skin die and must be removed. If a significant amount of skin has been damaged, skin grafts may be required.

Treatment of myiasis is to remove the maggots physically. Maggots are quite hardy and can be difficult to kill safely. Many potent insecticides can kill maggots but they put the weak and debilitated pet in danger of insecticide poisoning.

Shaving the hair from the affected area is the first step. After hair removal, the extent of the maggot infestation can now be seen. Frequently, the maggots hide under the hair coat and extend a lot further than initially suspected.

After shaving, physically removing the maggots – sometimes one at a time – is the next step. Frequently, there are hundreds of tiny maggots that burrow under the skin, and removal of all maggots may take several hours.

Mild insecticide can be applied briefly and then washed off to reduce potential harm to the pet.

After removal of the maggots, the skin must be allowed to heal. In severe cases, sections of skin die and must be removed. If a significant amount of skin has been damaged, skin grafts may be required.

What can be done about the maggots that are internal (coming out of ears, anus, etc.)?

I completely understand not being able to take them to the vet!

No flames from me at all.

But I wanted to tell you that in our area if you take them home and start feeding they are considered legally yours. And if you don't seek vet treatment for them you can be charged with neglect, animal cruelty and a host of other things. This may not be the case where you are. So feel free to ignore me.

But I know this first hand - having watched a sweet old lady trying to take care of stray cats. The charges were dropped but only after a trial and a huge mess. She was charged with neglecting to seek vet treatment, animal cruelty, and honestly I can't remember what else. Some of these charges carry jail time. The charges were dismissed in court and the cats were picked up by animal control.

Once you start caring for them they might be considered yours.

It stinks that you can't turn them in either.

I have no idea what the solution is. Dh and I have taken in more strays than we can count. Some we have kept and some we haven't. But after going through this court ordeal and watching this 80 year old well meaning lady face this, I will not bring home another stray that we don't intend to keep. We can't afford to treat every stray we find either.

It's great that you are taking care of them though - poor kitties!

DO NOT DO THIS! In my area, they have cameras outside and they will prosecute anyone who leaves animals after hours. It is considered animal dumping and workers often show up at the shelter to find the animal dead because it escaped and got hit by a car, suffocated in a too tightly sealed box, or strangled on a chain that was used to tie the animal to the door. Call the shelter or local vets, tell them you can't afford care, and ask what you should do.

Ok, so that was a bad idea. Don't listen to me then. I still can't believe that shelters charge to take in an animal. :confused:

The poor kittens sound so sad. I hope you find someone to help you.

Good news about the kittens! I met my friend at the vet office that she had mentioned. It was after hours, and he came in to take a look at them. He confirmed that it was indeed maggots that we were seeing. He treated the ears and their anal area with some kind of treatment. He mentioned that there was something more ideal, but that it was for dogs only and would kill cats. But, whatever this was that he administered would hopefully kill the maggots. He then fed them and started talking to me about how to help them. My friend indicated to him that I had a lot on my plate, with one rescue kitten, a bunch of other animals, homeschool, and a special needs child. He cut to the chase immediately and said, if you can't do it, you can leave them here and we'll do it. He joked and said the only payment he would require is that I leave my large rubbermaid container that I had brought the kittens in. I, of course, said I would take that deal!

Turns out some other vets in the area don't like that he takes in animals. My friend said that he's had an ongoing case with the board over the issue. I guess he does things like what he did for me today a lot, and basically others are claiming this makes him more like an animal shelter than a vet...:confused: I do know that a couple of dogs and one cat seemed to live there, in other words, not so much patients, but pets. I'm thinking they came to him under similar circumstances as the kittens today.

My friend said that some think he's crazy, to take strays as pets instead of putting them down. I just know that I say, I think he has a heart of gold for animals, and I feel so good that he's going to do what he can for them. My daughter talked to him about coming in to volunteer because she was so taken with how he runs things.

Just wanted to give a positive update. When dd starts volunteering, I'll update on how the kitties seem to be doing. I just know they stand a much better chance with him and his team, than here.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

What a great outcome!!!

Now that it's looking like all is well' date=' I can comment on something I'm sure came to other people's minds too ... Stop using apostrophes inappropriately! This is serious!!!! :tongue_smilie:[/quote']

Sadly enough... the thought DID cross my mind!! lol

What a great outcome!!!

Now that it's looking like all is well' date=' I can comment on something I'm sure came to other people's minds too ... Stop using apostrophes inappropriately! This is serious!!!! :tongue_smilie:[/quote']

:D

Okay, my brain is so fried from all of today's events (because, there was a lot of crazy going on today other than the cats...). So when I first read the above, I thought...Oh no! Are they commenting on my punctuation?!?! Took me a moment to recall my buddy's ever-so-famous quote, LOL! I promise, I strive to utilize all punctuation to the best of my ability and not cause feline harm!

Yes! Although jello shots would make it even better...:D

Who else needs margarita jello shots? My house, Friday night.:D

What a great outcome!!!

See? This board is saving kitty lives through a preponderance of proper punctuation.

I had that thought too, but figured it would be inappropriate to comment. :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, though, what a wonderful vet. Do you already have a family vet? I would start taking my business to that wonderful man.

I'm sure many people are in and out of his office every day. Hopefully one of them will be able to provide a home for the kittens.

FYI, shelter charge for several reasons, one being that it is expensive to provide vet care, food, shelters, toys, for hundreds of animals. A fee does help cover those costs. It isn't necessarily ideal, because the flip side is that people can just dump animals and skip the money part. THey aren't all hardcore with fees either, sometimes they will waive them depending on circumstances. Not all shelters charge of course, but there are pros and cons either way....and either way someone ends up losing out.

:D

Okay, my brain is so fried from all of today's events (because, there was a lot of crazy going on today other than the cats...). So when I first read the above, I thought...Oh no! Are they commenting on my punctuation?!?! Took me a moment to recall my buddy's ever-so-famous quote, LOL! I promise, I strive to utilize all punctuation to the best of my ability and not cause feline harm!

You, and that wonderful vet, have done a world of good for kitties today!!! :001_smile:

Good news about the kittens! I met my friend at the vet office that she had mentioned. It was after hours, and he came in to take a look at them. He confirmed that it was indeed maggots that we were seeing. He treated the ears and their anal area with some kind of treatment. He mentioned that there was something more ideal, but that it was for dogs only and would kill cats. But, whatever this was that he administered would hopefully kill the maggots. He then fed them and started talking to me about how to help them. My friend indicated to him that I had a lot on my plate, with one rescue kitten, a bunch of other animals, homeschool, and a special needs child. He cut to the chase immediately and said, if you can't do it, you can leave them here and we'll do it. He joked and said the only payment he would require is that I leave my large rubbermaid container that I had brought the kittens in. I, of course, said I would take that deal!

Turns out some other vets in the area don't like that he takes in animals. My friend said that he's had an ongoing case with the board over the issue. I guess he does things like what he did for me today a lot, and basically others are claiming this makes him more like an animal shelter than a vet...:confused: I do know that a couple of dogs and one cat seemed to live there, in other words, not so much patients, but pets. I'm thinking they came to him under similar circumstances as the kittens today.

My friend said that some think he's crazy, to take strays as pets instead of putting them down. I just know that I say, I think he has a heart of gold for animals, and I feel so good that he's going to do what he can for them. My daughter talked to him about coming in to volunteer because she was so taken with how he runs things.

Just wanted to give a positive update. When dd starts volunteering, I'll update on how the kitties seem to be doing. I just know they stand a much better chance with him and his team, than here.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

Oh that is so wonderful!!