Menu

Need help finding literature-based world history for young 9th grader?

My son did Beautiful Feet Ancient's in 8th grade and very much enjoyed both having the guide to follow and the literature approach. This year he is technically entering 9th and wants to do World History over 2 years. When I look at Beautiful Feet World History, I see that he's not necessarily ready for the books they're using.

Can anyone tell me what other literature-based programs are out there for World History that may be similiar to BF? I did look at Ambleside Online but with no "guide" to follow, it looks a little more intimidating.

Thanks for all your help.

You might want to look at Sonlight's 2-year world history; I think they call them cores G and H now. While geared now towards middle schoolers,many use it for high school. Of all the Sonlight cores, this has had the most changes in books over the years, but the literature and content remain great.

My son did Beautiful Feet Ancient's in 8th grade and very much enjoyed both having the guide to follow and the literature approach. This year he is technically entering 9th and wants to do World History over 2 years. When I look at Beautiful Feet World History, I see that he's not necessarily ready for the books they're using.

Can anyone tell me what other literature-based programs are out there for World History that may be similiar to BF? I did look at Ambleside Online but with no "guide" to follow, it looks a little more intimidating.

Thanks for all your help.

Karen, the first year I homeschooled, my oldest son protested to join his younger brother. I had to make a very quick decision on curriculum as it was November at the time. We ended up doing Sonlight's one year world history course and my son enjoyed it immensely (7th grade). Their usual world history program goes over two years, so that should work for you. You can tweak things a bit to bring it up to a high school level without too much work.

Which books do you feel that he might not be ready for?

Two questions about Sonlight. Is the guide similiar to BF? Also, if it's geared to middle school, is it enough to count for high school credit? He's a young 9th grader, so we may end up holding him back a year/have him do an extra year or take a gap year but that hasn't been determined yet.

Two questions about Sonlight. Is the guide similiar to BF? Also, if it's geared to middle school, is it enough to count for high school credit? He's a young 9th grader, so we may end up holding him back a year/have him do an extra year or take a gap year but that hasn't been determined yet.

Instead of doing the two year World History, you might try the one year condensed version. We used the second year of World History for my ds this past year (9th grade). We added Speilvogel's Human Odyssey to up the level on the history. We also switched out a few books in the lit.

I don't know what the Beautiful Feet guide is like to know if they are similar.

I'd take a look at Tapestry of Grace as well, but with a caveat: Tapestry is history based, but in terms of reading actual lit from whatever time period you are studying in high school there is no one who offers more lit. I'm not totally sure this is what you want, Sonlight is more lit based they just use a lot more historical fiction than the actual lit of the time period.

Since he already did Ancient History, why not just do Sonlight Core H? It's listed for grades 7 - 9.

If you used the combined G+H, he'd be repeating Ancient History again.

If you're worried about the level of the literature, you could substitute out a few of the scheduled readers for others you feel are more appropriate for high school.

Brenda

Instead of doing the two year World History, you might try the one year condensed version. We used the second year of World History for my ds this past year (9th grade). We added Speilvogel's Human Odyssey to up the level on the history. We also switched out a few books in the lit.

I don't know what the Beautiful Feet guide is like to know if they are similar.

Since he already did Ancient History, why not just do Sonlight Core H? It's listed for grades 7 - 9.

If you used the combined G+H, he'd be repeating Ancient History again.

If you're worried about the level of the literature, you could substitute out a few of the scheduled readers for others you feel are more appropriate for high school.

Brenda

Brenda, don't cores G & H use SOTW as a spine? I know they did a few years ago. What about adding Spievogel as recommended above and working in some DBQ type questions to make it more appropriate for high school. Make sure you get some primary source work in.

Brenda, don't cores G & H use SOTW as a spine? I know they did a few years ago. What about adding Spievogel as recommended above and working in some DBQ type questions to make it more appropriate for high school. Make sure you get some primary source work in.

G & H use SOTW. That is why I added Human Odyssey. Core W is a bit different and I'm not sure what it uses as a spine.

Yes, G & H use SOTW, but if she chooses Core W, her child will be repeating Ancient History again. Core W uses A Child's History of the World, Augustus Caesar's World, the World of Columbus & Sons, and the Usborne book of the 20th century as spines.

Perhaps using another spine, such as Spielvogel with the books in Core H would work.

Brenda