Menu

Anybody else here in Colorado near the fire?

It is about 15 miles west of Fort Collins. The wind shifted last night and now the smoke from the fire is right over Fort Collins. I can barely breathe and I am indoors. The fact that I have allergies does not help this at all. It is only at 10% containment at this point. :thumbdown:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I'm sorry, I hope they can contain it soon. My nephew lives in Ft. Collins, but I haven't heard from him. He just moved a couple of weeks ago to w/in a few blocks of the University, so I haven't been too worried yet. I hope you're safe and don't have to evacuate.

I am in Cheyenne and we have been able to smell it inside our house for days. At first all of town looked like it had a Denver-type smog. Cheyenne's air is ALWAYS clear!

My dh works outside in the western part of Ft. Collins and he said he is getting headaches and it smells like he is constantly standing next to a campfire.

How is everyone near the fire doing? I hope everyone is safe.

I am about 180 miles northwest of Cheyenne and we can see the smoke here and smell it.

We are on a fire restriction here for sure. They are pretty worried about all this beetle killed pine and super dry grass, brush, etc.

I don't live in Colorado but we just returned from vacation there and could smell the smoke in Denver very strongly right before we left. My husband went kayaking in the Poudre Canyon the day before the fire started there. His brother wants to go back after the fire clears to see how different it looks.

New evacuations tonight.

Heavy winds have grounded all air craft that was fighting the fire. There have been gusts up to 50 mph in the fire area.

Where I live(at least 25-30 miles away from Fort Collins) the air is hazy, smells extremely strong, there's been ash raining down, and we can see the orange glow from certain parts of town.

The incident commander has been saying that the firefighters are working on containment, but they won't be/can't putting it out. Mother Nature will do that in the fall.

Most destructive fire in Colorado history right now, 181 homes have been confirmed lost.

Moose and(allegedly) black bears have been spotted around Fort Collins which is not normal.

The area is facing high heat all week. On the bright it is 45% contained.

My dd is near the Springer Fire at camp now. We smell the smoke down the hill here in Colorado Springs but it is nothing like what Denver and Ft. Collins is experiencing. The skies are all hazy. We're near but not that near.

Edited by Bassoonaroo
I can't spell when nervous

The containment went from 55% to 45% yesterday with the high winds and very warm (100 degree) weather. 69,000 + acres have burned and there has been a loss of 191 (approx.) homes. So far it has cost $25.5 million.

Praise God the Elbert one is either contained or nearly contained.

The Waldo Canyon (near Colorado Springs) is not contained but the wind has blown away from houses. Manitou Springs was evacuated in the wee hours of the AM and they are letting them go home tonight. Yippee.

The smoke hurts my eyes and throat but we are safe.

High Park fire needs lots of prayers. It's huge and dangerous.

Edited by Bassoonaroo
tired when i wrote it and included a naming error. Sorry

I too can't believe all of these fires. Well actually with how dry it is I guess I can. The kids and I were talking about how truly unbearable it must be for firefighters to be fighting the blaze and then when breaking to also be in this 100 degree weather.

We have been so disappointed that the last few storms blow in our area and we get awful wind and then lightning and thunder but ZERO rain. My dh wanted the kids to go out in it tonight and do a rain dance ;) Praying for some good turn of events with these fires and for all the brave fire workers!

We are in Durango. There are 3 fires near us...not close enough to cause evacuations for us. The largest is the Little Sand fire and is about 30 miles to the east in some of the most rugged terrain of the Weminuche wilderness. They got the fire that was 10 miles south of us contained. There is another one that just started (on Friday I think) that is about 15 miles to the west of us. That one is causing a ton of ash all over cars and such. I can barely breathe when we go outside!

We are in Durango. There are 3 fires near us...not close enough to cause evacuations for us. The largest is the Little Sand fire and is about 30 miles to the east in some of the most rugged terrain of the Weminuche wilderness. They got the fire that was 10 miles south of us contained. There is another one that just started (on Friday I think) that is about 15 miles to the west of us. That one is causing a ton of ash all over cars and such. I can barely breathe when we go outside!

So sorry to hear all of this! Is there somewhere you can go for a few days with your dc to get out of the ash and smoke?? :grouphug:

I had a message from my friends in Elbert saying that the fire is gaining ground. They were on alert for possible evac. The fire was less than 1/4 mile from thier home. It makes me sad. DH and I were married there, right after they built the house. It really is lovely.

It is so difficult watching my home state burn. It is such a tragedy.

Hoping not to hijack this thread, but can anyone tell me if any of the fires are near littleton? I've been trying to get in touch with someone there since Friday with no luck and am wondering if they are evac'd

There aren't any fires near Littleton, so you don't need to worry about that.

In Fort collins here...and the rain last night was wonderful!!! Unfortunately lots of lightning as well.

Very smoky this morning...I don't know if the winds shifted or what, but definitely smells more smoky this morning than it did yesterday.

Lots of prayers going out for all the Firefighters...it has been extremely hot here in Fort Collins last few days...can't even imagine the heat they are experiencing so close to the fires.

Diane

Were you in Durango during the Missionary Ridge fire?

Yes...except for a few years in college and a few years when I got married, I have been here my whole life. That was a horrible summer. And at the same time, the Hayman fire was occurring. It is just a mess!

So sorry to hear all of this! Is there somewhere you can go for a few days with your dc to get out of the ash and smoke?? :grouphug:

We were fortunate to go to the southern suburbs of Denver for almost two weeks and just got home. It isn't too bad today...and I'm not sure of containment. But we just found out there is another fire close to Chimney Rock...which is directly south of the Little Sand fire. Yikes! And no rain in sight!

I thought it would be nice to have a place for the people near a wildfire to check in here. Pics of tonight's smoke plume included.

The Waldo Fire is 5% contained, it is a start and those firefighters are working hard. Luckily there hasn't been damage to any structures nor loss of life in this fire and Manitou Springs residents were permitted to go home yesterday. Donations are still pouring in, many people are volunteering, and the firefighters are winning small battles. :)

Here are a few pictures I took this afternoon. The first one is from around 30 miles away taken on HWY 24 just south of Woodmen. The 2nd and 3rd shows the smoke plume extending far to the north, they are taken near Judge Orr Rd and Hwy 24 in Falcon, CO. To emphasize the length of the smoke plume think about stitching these pictures together and then realize they were taken from about 30 miles away.

downsized_0625121750a.jpg

downsized_0625121905a.jpg

downsized_0625121905.jpg

How are things near you?