Menu

Smartphones -- which ones can take notes?

Please bear with me, as I know this is a bit of a silly question. I don't really speak tech.

With the changes coming to Verizon, I am looking into some options, and it might be time for me to switch to some sort of smartphone. We've seen some ads for ones that look kind of like mini tablets -- you can write on them. Which phones can do that? And if you write on them and make a list, can you save that list and start a new one? If switching to a smartphone makes better financial sense for us (by letting us eliminate home DSL internet), I might go for that, but I would really be swayed if my phone can also act as a notepad. Not a typed list; it would need to be something I could write on with a stylus and make changes to, just like I do my grocery list on paper. It would just eliminate my bilion notebooks that end up everywhere.

While I'm on the subject, smartphones can also have an app that lets them act like a Kindle, yes? We rarely buy books because we have great libraries around here, so a Kindle hasn't appealed to me, but if e-library books become more popular around here, I might be more interested in the Kindle app. But the notepad feature would be nice.

I can type lists into my iPhone. I can make as many lists as I want. I can make changes to them as needed. Eldest has a Vibrant(?), I think? It has the same type of functions. Yes, You can download kindle or nook apps to various smartphones, but the screen is probably too small to read an entire book on.

The iPad is something you can download notebook apps for and write in the virtual notebooks with a stylus, you can also download books that are readable. I think the typical smartphone's screen is too small for either of those things to work well.

I might go for that, but I would really be swayed if my phone can also act as a notepad. Not a typed list; it would need to be something I could write on with a stylus and make changes to, just like I do my grocery list on paper.

:bigear: I don't know, but I'm interested in the answer. I currently have a Palm (yes, it's old) and use Graffiti all the time - never use the keyboard/type feature. I'm thinking the time might be coming to upgrade my phone and integrate what I do on the Palm into it, but I'd really like something I could write on too, not just type (which in this case really means pressing stylus or finger onto letters arranged in a keyboard shape).