Menu

homeschoolersin PA- I need advice

My dd will be an 11th grader next year. She just informed me that she would like to attend the local technical college after graduation and live at home.

The problem: This local school is Pennsylvania College of Technology, an affiliate of Penn State. On their website, they state that homeschool students "must provide proof of graduation from an organization governed by the State Board of Education, such as Pennsylvania Homeschoolers Accreditation Agency (PHAA), or submit an General Equivalency Diploma (GED) transcript of your scores confirming receipt of a Commonwealth Diploima to be considered fro admission."

I wasn't planning on using a diploma program. I have followed some of the other threads regarding this policy by Pitt and Penn State, but figured my kids would be attending a private LAC.

So... what would you do? Should I just go ahead and register with one of the diploma programs or should I argue with the college over this?

I have no problem with providing a college with a portfolio of work and detailed course descriptions, but for some reason I recoil from using one of the diploma programs.

I'd contact the college and ask.

I'd also contact MaryAlice (on here - via pm - get it from one of those Pitt threads) and see what up to date info she has. She's much more up on it than I am.

My guy got accepted to Pitt (with merit aid) without it, but since he prefers the University of Rochester, we're not going any further pursuing it and we never got a response to sending them our thoughts. My guess is the latter hit a circular file somewhere. Pitt did send him a form letter telling him if he changed his mind he was still welcome there.

My dd will be an 11th grader next year. She just informed me that she would like to attend the local technical college after graduation and live at home.

That is wonderful. Let's see what we can do to make it happen.

The problem: This local school is Pennsylvania College of Technology, an affiliate of Penn State. On their website, they state that homeschool students "must provide proof of graduation from an organization governed by the State Board of Education, such as Pennsylvania Homeschoolers Accreditation Agency (PHAA), or submit an General Equivalency Diploma (GED) transcript of your scores confirming receipt of a Commonwealth Diploima to be considered fro admission."

Gag, I still get acid reflux when I see this stuff. :) This is the typical discriminatory language of all Penn State schools and others influenced by a for-profit business. I have been successful helping others get past these requirements.

So... what would you do? Should I just go ahead and register with one of the diploma programs or should I argue with the college over this?

I would take this issue on to the college. I can help. pm me. I have been taking on colleges/universities in the state and explaining that they are discriminating. Many times, they are just following the "big guys" (PSU). You can also get a sign off from your superintendent on a PHEAA form. For some reason, that seems to satisfy many venues.

I have no problem with providing a college with a portfolio of work and detailed course descriptions, but for some reason I recoil from using one of the diploma programs.

The recoil is your gut telling you that the system is forcing you into buying snake oil. There is a fundamental problem in PA.

you can pm me.

maryalice