Menu

Questions about second marriages & pre-wedding stuff

My sister is getting married in the fall - both divorced and this will be 2nd marriage for both.

Is there normally a bachelorette party? What about a bridal shower? Obviously I wouldn't plan either of those since I am the sister but just curious if 2nd time around is any different for these types of events.

What about bachelor parties?

Would you give the same amount of $$ for a gift that you did the first time or are there different expectations for gifts when it is the 2nd wedding?

:bigear:

My sister is getting married in the fall - both divorced and this will be 2nd marriage for both.

Is there normally a bachelorette party? What about a bridal shower? Obviously I wouldn't plan either of those since I am the sister but just curious if 2nd time around is any different for these types of events.

What about bachelor parties?

Would you give the same amount of $$ for a gift that you did the first time or are there different expectations for gifts when it is the 2nd wedding?

:bigear:

First of all, you rock (bolded.) I think, if you are matron-of-honor, though, you can do the bachelorette party if you decide to have one, even if you are the sister. I could be wrong.

My never-married cousin is marrying a lovely young woman who is divorced with two small children. She politely declined a bridal shower for her side of the family, as they have already given her wedding gifts, but we insisted on having one for our side, and she is very happy.

I could see both sides on the bachelorette party. I mean, they aren't really traditional bachelors and bachelorettes, but it's still fun to have a party with friends. I think the rules are less clear there, because it's just among close friends.

When I got remarried we didn't do either of those things. We already had an established home, so we didn't need or want gifts. Some people did give us gift cards, and that was nice. I had kids already, so the best gifts were people who offered to babysit for date nights ;-)

I did go to a nice lunch with my girlfriends before the wedding, and had a group of gals over to help me "get ready" (as in drink wine, joke around, and do our hair) before the actual ceremony.

IMO second weddings are a lot less stress!

I'm still from the old school where a second marriage gets done in the courthouse or neighbor's home and only family attend. I don't think I'll ever be able to progress past 1950/60.

What does your sister want?

:)

When I got remarried, we kept it very small and mostly family (the wedding party was just our kids and his nieces).

I didn't have a real bachelorette party, but we did do a big dinner about a week before with my sisters, my mom, our girls and my closest friends. There was no bridal shower. The night I had my dinner, he took the boys and my dad to a baseball game and called it his "bachelor party".

But, we're both in our 40s and have 6 kids between us. We didn't need or have time for everything that goes into a big wedding.

If they're younger and/or don't have kids, I'd be more likely to treat it like a first wedding and go with the bridal shower, bachelorette party and bachelor party.