Menu

What do you use after NEM math or Discovering Mathematics?

I am researching which math to use after we finish Singapore PM 6. I probably will do NEM or DM? I wonder, though, what comes after these. Thank you!??

My boys took concurrent college courses after that. They began with college algebra (because that was the highest entry level allowed) and ended high school with either college calculus 1 or college statistics. The younger 2 boys have just embarked on concurrent course work: ds#3 is taking college algebra online this summer and trig in the fall; ds#4 is taking college algebra in the fall. I anticipate that they will both graduate with at least 1 semester of college calculus.

My boys took concurrent college courses after that. They began with college algebra (because that was the highest entry level allowed) and ended high school with either college calculus 1 or college statistics. The younger 2 boys have just embarked on concurrent course work: ds#3 is taking college algebra online this summer and trig in the fall; ds#4 is taking college algebra in the fall. I anticipate that they will both graduate with at least 1 semester of college calculus.

Thanks!

So what did you use, DM or NEM?

You may want to go with DM, because I have heard that the last two years of NEM are being phased out.

We did NEM 1 -4 and then DM Additional Math and will be finishing that this year with my oldest. He is in ninth grade so I have a LOT of time to fill. If I had an older child I might consider moving to calculus, but I decided that we' go with pre-calc from AoPS next year. He will not do the online class because next year has a lot of other BIG stuff and he's not a true mathy student (does well in it but does not love it).

I am researching which math to use after we finish Singapore PM 6. I probably will do NEM or DM? I wonder, though, what comes after these. Thank you!

We used NEM 1 - 3 then DS went into Dolciani Algebra 2 with Trig, jumping into the book around Chapter 10. From there he did Foerster's Pre-Calc and then Calculus. He always felt like he should have gone from Dolciani directly into Calculus. From my viewpoint he needed the Pre-Calc to help him work on his sloppy work rather than his math skills.

After looking at the samples, I have decided to go with DM. I won't need it until a few months later. If you have DM textbooks 1 a, 1 b, workbook, Workbook TM and question bank(optional for me) that you are done and want to part with, I would be interested in buying from you. I would like to save money by skipping the textbook TMs. Thanks!

We did NEM1-3, a bit of 4, and then community college pre-calc. Youngest will do cc calc as well, at least the first two semesters, and he did some Dolciani algebra 2. Older one started homeschooling late and was a seething mass of misconceptions about math and had to back up when we began homeschooling. I can't think of a better way to straighten him out than Singapore, though. The precalc textbook was Blitzer and that seemed to continue nicely from the end of NEM. I hated the book because it was wordy and set up for college students not homeschoolers, but topic and approach-wise, it matched pretty well.

Nan