Menu

Why do you home educate?

Our local home ed group is holding a sort of home-ed awareness day next month, and I'm trying to put together some paperwork to explain what home education is all about. I live in England so it's not well known or well understood here. Anyway, I'd like to have a handful of quotes from a variety of people that give different reasons for home educating, things along the lines of, "We decided to pull our child out of school because he was bored all the time. We wanted to challenge him to learn and grow to his full potential." Or things along that line.

So does anyone want to give a short quote for my home ed promotional literature. :D In a couple of sentences, why do you home educate?

disclaimer: This will be used on printed material that will be handed out locally. I won't post it anywhere else.

Thanks.

1. We want to raise our kids. It seems like most people these days let public institutions and television raise their kids for them, but we just don't agree with those perspectives and we don't want our children to be inculcated into those doctrines from such a young age. (For full disclosure, we're libertarian atheists.)

2. We want to teach our children to think in a critical and objective way. Even the elite private schools don't place very much emphasis on logic, and we believe that this is the ultimately the most important skill that we can impart to our children.

3. Independence is very important to us. Our goals are to live off the grid, educate ourselves at home, teach our children skills they can use to run their own businesses, visit medical doctors as seldom as possible, raise or hunt as much of our own food as we can, and live without debt. Homeschooling is just one of the ways in which our independent lifestyle manifests itself.

We home educate to give our children a rigorous academic foundation, a loving family foundation, and a healthy social foundation.:001_smile:

I could give the long story about how we found ourselves led to home educate before ever even trying free government education. But in the end, that summarizes it just fine.

We home educate to give our children a rigorous academic foundation, a loving family foundation, and a healthy social foundation.:001_smile:

Same here. We homeschool because we want our children to receive a rigorous liberal arts education, and because we believe the family should be their primary attachment past age five.

I'm trying to come up with a response that's not going to make someone else feel bad. But there are reasons other academic rigor.

First, we chose to homeschool because our son was allergic to so many foods and environmental allergens that sending him to a public building daily would have been a life or death gamble.

Second, we chose to homeschool because we believe we are called by God to carefully guard our children's hearts and minds and did not feel confident that we could adequately do so if they attended school outside the home.

Edited by MomatHWTK

I like that. It is much better than the "dunno" I was just thinking. :D Because really. I had a reason to homeschool the oldest, but he's graduated. The others just folded in when the time came.

Well...I think I have more than one reason. Here are my reasons, not in any kind of order:

To be in my children's lives more. When the boys went to ps, I felt like I was missing out on a big part of their day, and I was.

To keep them from negative influences. They still run into it, but I can usually be there to discuss it with them. As they get older, I feel more confident about their ability to handle potentially negative situations since we've discussed many things day in and day out.

I have a better handle on their education. If something isn't working for them, we can change it. Plus my youngest ds has difficulties that I'm afraid would be magnified by the ps setting.

Did I mention that I (usually) LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to be with my kids???

I figure I can screw my kids up well enough w/out outside help.

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything :lol:

We home educate so our kids can be kids. They are not in a classroom 6 hours a day with an additional 1-2 hours of "homework" (busywork). 8 hours is a full-time job and stressful to grown adults. :001_smile:

:iagree:It is amazing what people think it's okay to expect of children. Sit at a desk for hours on end, filling in blanks? Sure. Take away PE as punishment to a child who is hyperactive (and force him to spend ANOTHER 30 min sitting in a desk, filling out papers)? Sure. This child is having a hard time in reading or math and really needs to go back a level, but is on target for everything else.... drop him back a level in that one subject? No. Add 80 problems of homework, because him not understanding the concept is just not having "practiced" enough? Sure...

I took hours out for a variety of reasons. Social (too much administrative tolerance of bad behavior in their peers), academic (they each had areas that needed remediation, the older two also had areas they excelled in and could have been more challenged), and health (all the sick kids, contagious disease, and scary food choices - my youngest had severe migraines several times a week for 3 years, within a month of being home we were seeing them abate. He's had 2 mild ones in the six months he's been home. Such a blessing!)

When I used to work at a day care it broke my heart when we had to tell the parents that their child had crawled/walked/laughed/etc. for the first time- and they missed it. I want to be there to share in the joy of every new things my children learn- to see that light finally turn on and watch the excitement in their faces!

Academics mostly. I was a reluctant homeschooler. Ds12 started reading just shy of his 2nd birthday. By 4 years, he was reading at a 4th grade level. I had him tested at the local university hoping they would give me the name of the school I was supposed to send him to. Ha! The doctor said to homeschool him. Oookkkkaaay. Here we are, 8 years later and loving it.

As a bonus, my ds12 turned out to be a quirky kid who would have had issues being bored and picked on at school. It worked out just as it was supposed to.

To me, homeschooling was the natural extension of being a SAHM. If I thought it best for the major influence in my babies' and toddler's lives was their mother, why would that suddenly change when they turned 5?

It was either that or:

1) to avoid endless pointless birthday party invitations;

2) to avoid having to pack lunch;

3) it meshes so well with my OCD. ;)

We started to homeschool for economic reasons, we couldn't afford private school tuition any longer. We continue to homeschool because my son has varied academic interests that can't be met by the local schools, and it's a great fit for our family dynamics.

We pulled our son out of ps because he has a learning disability and was being treated like he was dumb because of it. Now that he is home he is able to be ahead in the areas that he excels at, and work on the tough spots in a way he understands, not the way the school is required to teach it. He is doing amazing now. I am pulling my other two kids out because I haven't been impressed with the low academic standards in the schools and because my youngest is too far ahead and is bored in the classroom.

First was kid was so advanced (think 4th grade level math/reading at 3). Second was second kid was not :)

Hubby's reasoning was socialization (wanted healthier!).

In time, we added many reasons socially, spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically, family wise, academically, etc.

Add in 3 more and we add many more reasons, but top reasons: academic superiority (individualized pace, depth, etc), attachment (adoption of kids with attachment issues), spiritual.

We homeschool because we believe the Lord put us in charge of the raising and discipling of our children. That is near impossible when you are rarely with them. I enjoy living and learning beside my children at whatever abilities they do or do not have.

Plus, I'd rather plan a school day, teach, and play with my kids over walking to and from the bus stop everyday, make school lunches, and "help" them with their homework.

Because we can!

In the process of getting my 2nd degree in education :lol:, I realized that private tutoring with multiple age groups in an individually paced and socially welcoming environment was the ideal academic situation (and actually preferred by the higher classes for centuries, even in England ;) ).

I don't take for granted our family's (political, financial, physical, or emotional) opportunity to home school, and I am thankful for it every day.

The longer we home educate, the more reasons we seem to have to do it. :)

Many reasons behind our choice include: flexibility of schedule and materials, a lot of quality time together (not just me with my kids, but my kids really enjoying one another as friends), and an ability to hand tailor our learning.

It is a bit unusual where I live - the province gives money for cirriculum if families are willing to report to them about the learning and how it meets the expected learning outcomes that the province has for children. So we are not technically homeschooling, we are technically "distance learning", but are free to do it how we like. I am grateful for that support, and for the existence of the public system which is always there as a viable back-up should our life circumstances or needs change.

These are all great. Thanks so much. I really want people around here to understand that home education is a valid educational option for so many different reasons, not just for kids that can't cope in school. I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers on 1st July when we have our open day.

We homeschool because it is hard to send children to school and tell them their education is the most important thing when our government contradicts that with how they pay our teachers and the budget cuts. Our government will cut a school budget by 50% 2 years in a row but they still have enough to fund other less important things, while our schools are barely staying afloat to begin with. I want my children to value their education and be given the chance to excel. The school systems in our area are not that great anyways. We also homeschool so that my husband who works out of state for months at a time can have more time with our kids.

We started homeschooling because I realized that I was only seeing my 8yo DD for a couple hours a day, and those hours were crabby, busy hours. I figured that was just ridiculous for such a young child to be gone so much. I also had a 'special' child ready to start kindergarten and I feared for her emotional well being. It just seemed like the right thing to do all around.

We started out home educating because our local school system is a large, cumbersome behemoth with too much red tape running the administration. We continued because we like being up late and sleeping in (not a great reason, but true); because my social butterflies would probably wind up in the principal's office often; because I know my kids best and know what helps them thrive and what isn't working; because I don't need to answer to someone else if we simply want to go to the museum for a day or hike in the local mountains; because it gives all of us flexibility in our day; because I love to learn with my kids and not just hear about what they did; because it has continued to work for us and we're happy.

We started because we couldn't find a good fit for Calvin in school: he was bright but his coordination was delayed. Once we started home education we really appreciated being able to move at the child's speed, as well as the family closeness that developed.

Laura

Our main reason is that the local public schools do not meet our academic requirements and there are no private schools closer than an hour commute away.

Home education gives my daughter the time to pursue her passion - horseriding.

Wow. No one? I thought I'd get lots of responses. It doesn't have to be like my example. Just anything that's succinct that you don't mind me putting on a flyer.

You might search the forum. We've had this question many times.

For us, it is 85% academics, 15% socialization. I don't see how spending the day with a pack o 9 year olds is preparing my son to live in the adult world.

We initially started homeschooling b/c the local school "powers that be" said our children missed the birthday cut-off period, and were to be held back another year. I knew in my heart that they were ready for the grade we wanted them in. We withdrew our son after K4, and have been teaching them at home ever since.

We love the family freedom! And the flexibility to tailor curriculum and class time around our children's individual abilities and schedules. And doing school in our pajamas if we feel like it! :D

You might search the forum. We've had this question many times.

For us, it is 85% academics, 15% socialization. I don't see how spending the day with a pack o 9 year olds is preparing my son to live in the adult world.

I didn't want to search and pull quotes from old threads without the permission of the original posters. Even if it's just going into a local flyer, I thought it would be best to get people's permission to quote them.

I've had lots of fantastic responses now. So it's all good. Thanks, everyone.

Guest robertpiazza

As a parent, you must ensure your child receives a full-time education from the age of five. You do have the right to educate your child at home. Also the family attachments that developed. some local authorities provide guidance for parents, including free National Curriculum materials.

Because before I had children, I taught in both public and private schools, and there was no way I was sending my kids to either :).

We are keeping them home because it seems like the natural thing to do, I quit my job to be with them when they were little, so why would I suddenly want someone else to take care of them?

Also, I have friends whose kids go to our public school and not one of them is remotely pleased with anything they do. We do have a really good classical private school, but it's very expensive, like when all three of them are there together it will be over $30,000 a year. So I would have to go back to work to send them to school, which just doesn't make sense to me.