Menu

Is anybody else painfully shy?

I've been feeling awfully pathetic lately. I went to a homeschool conference this weekend and sat right behind Catherine Levison before she spoke. It seriously took me five minutes of gathering my braves before I could ask her one question. One measly little question. I said thank you and tried to gather my braves to ask more. Before I did she asked if there was anything else I was wondering about, so I asked her question after question after question.

Then I ran into a WTM boardie and ate lunch with her. I know her a little better, but my hands were shaking like crazy as I talked to her. And I got so nervous and forgot words and was saying, "Ummmm....ummmm..." a lot. *sigh*

And then there's the blushing. :glare: I blush like crazy when I say something in church (about the only time I ever interact with people) and everyone looks at me. Anytime my husband's friends come over I blush whenever they ask me a question. At our church's park day, I'll sit on the outskirts of the group but am too afraid to talk unless someone directly asks me a question.

I've been such a hermit ever since Pigby was born. How do I get over this?

I talk too much when I'm nervous. The filter doesn't always work properly either. So I spend an inordinate amount of angst going over every detail of a conversation in my head afterwards. I'm sure my foot appears in my mouth on a regular basis when I meet new people.

Not that it happens too often. I could be happy living in a wi-fi enabled cave.

I've been feeling awfully pathetic lately. I went to a homeschool conference this weekend and sat right behind Catherine Levison before she spoke. It seriously took me five minutes of gathering my braves before I could ask her one question. One measly little question. I said thank you and tried to gather my braves to ask more. Before I did she asked if there was anything else I was wondering about, so I asked her question after question after question.

Then I ran into a WTM boardie and ate lunch with her. I know her a little better, but my hands were shaking like crazy as I talked to her. And I got so nervous and forgot words and was saying, "Ummmm....ummmm..." a lot. *sigh*

And then there's the blushing. :glare: I blush like crazy when I say something in church (about the only time I ever interact with people) and everyone looks at me. Anytime my husband's friends come over I blush whenever they ask me a question. At our church's park day, I'll sit on the outskirts of the group but am too afraid to talk unless someone directly asks me a question.

Me, too, and homeschooling has only made it worse :( I think because I'm not forced to interact more often, but idk....

Heck if I know. I'm mostly terrified to talk to people on the phone. :glare: (Hence messaging you only on here, LOL.)

Yeah. sigh. idk how to fix that either :tongue_smilie:

I am NOT shy. I probably talk too much.

My dear, sweet SIL IS painfully shy, though. I still don't know how she ended up in our rambunctious family - not a shy one in the bunch, until her! (Even the extended family - we're a loud crowd.)

I do know that SIL's self-esteem is reflected in her shyness. For example, she's an AMAAAAAAAZING natural/untrained artist (she can pencil sketch a portrait to make it look exactly like the portrait, but in black and white, amazing), and wonderful cook/baker but always finds fault with everything she does. She doesn't like to show her artwork to anyone because "it doesn't look good", and is always worried her food won't taste very good - when it always does!

Maybe it's the same for you. Not shy-ness that needs working on so much as self-esteem. I'm a self-help book junkie...there's gotta be a book or ten. :D Sorry, I'm not much help.

I talk too much when I'm nervous. The filter doesn't always work properly either. So I spend an inordinate amount of angst going over every detail of a conversation in my head afterwards. I'm sure my foot appears in my mouth on a regular basis when I meet new people.

Not that it happens too often. I could be happy living in a wi-fi enabled cave.

I would happily be your cave neighbor. Imagine what great neighbors we'd both be: no hedge cutting, no stroller drive bys, no random dinner requests.

Me, too, and homeschooling has only made it worse :( I think because I'm not forced to interact more often, but idk....

Yes, we only have one car so during the day I usually just stay home. DH watches the kids so I can go out one night a week, but I don't usually do anything with other people. I usually go to the dollar theater by myself. And my best friend just moved across the country, so there will be even less interaction with people.

I am NOT shy. I probably talk too much.

My dear, sweet SIL IS painfully shy, though. I still don't know how she ended up in our rambunctious family - not a shy one in the bunch, until her! (Even the extended family - we're a loud crowd.)

I do know that SIL's self-esteem is reflected in her shyness. For example, she's an AMAAAAAAAZING natural/untrained artist (she can pencil sketch a portrait to make it look exactly like the portrait, but in black and white, amazing), and wonderful cook/baker but always finds fault with everything she does. She doesn't like to show her artwork to anyone because "it doesn't look good", and is always worried her food won't taste very good - when it always does!

Maybe it's the same for you. Not shy-ness that needs working on so much as self-esteem. I'm a self-help book junkie...there's gotta be a book or ten. :D Sorry, I'm not much help.

Well, I do have very low self-esteem. It's been going up more the more productive I am. But people are still scary. Especially large groups of loud people. Usually in a group of 1-2 I can do ok if I know them well, but if it gets to be more than that (or if someone is really loud) I'm content to hang back and listen.

Hi! I'm new here..first post:).

I just found out a few months ago that I am an introvert. I was wondering why social gatherings were so painful. Thinking the more I went to them, the easier it would get. Um..no. I have been reading books from the library about introversion and I feel so much better knowing I'm not alone. The book The Introvert Advantage explained my personality and why I am the way I am to a "T".

My main problem when talking to people is that I draw a blank when asked a question. I hate that so much!!! I think the reason why I do it is because I'm so anxious and can't stand small talk. Later, when I'm home, I will replay conversations in my head and hope that I didn't say something stupid :-/

Just know you are not alone:)

I also have a hard time interacting with new people. I agree with the above poster, I just read Quiet: The Power of Intoverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking and it totally describes my personality. And it talks about how awesome introverts are so that's great!

I also participated in a study for social anxiety in college. Basically you would make a list of situations that were scary for you, put them in order, and then try to work your way gradually up the list (least scary to most scary). I do try to stretch myself sometimes, but mostly I just stay in my comfort bubble. :grouphug:

When I'm nervous, I tend to babble and make a fool of myself. I hate going to parties, or really anywhere there is a lot of people that will expect conversation with me.

I would be happy being cave neighbors with Paula, too. :001_smile:

I just read Quiet: The Power of Intoverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking and it totally describes my personality. And it talks about how awesome introverts are so that's great!

I'm on the waiting list at the library to get that book. Glad to hear you liked it! Can't wait to read it :)

I also have a hard time interacting with new people. I agree with the above poster, I just read Quiet: The Power of Intoverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking and it totally describes my personality. And it talks about how awesome introverts are so that's great!

I also participated in a study for social anxiety in college. Basically you would make a list of situations that were scary for you, put them in order, and then try to work your way gradually up the list (least scary to most scary). I do try to stretch myself sometimes, but mostly I just stay in my comfort bubble. :grouphug:

Thank you, I'll check that out.

:grouphug: You are not alone, I suffer horribly from shyness.

Nice to hear that others have problems with the phone! People look at me like I have 2 heads when I've mentioned that!

I feel your pain, although I'm not quite as shy as you, I don't think. I would have definately struggled to ask a question in that large of a group though. It's lonely, and I especially am sorry to hear that your best friend moved away. Mine did a couple years ago, and honestly, I don't think I'll ever stop grieving. Because I hate phones, we've not talked. Just emails here and there. It's hard, and I think I'll probably never find a friend like her again.

I guess working on self esteem is the best way to overcome this.

Yes, this is so me too- blushing, ggrrr...; it just seems to happen no matter what- so I try to not focus on it and eventually it goes away. I enjoy the forums so I have time to gather thoughts and respond- and not lose my words as I do in conversation. I'm glad to hear others are in the same boat- my husband is quite an extrovert and does not get it! I think I will read the suggested books, thanks for bringing this up!:001_smile:

Guest psixanwmalos

Have you thought to try out an ebook written by professionals? They are pretty cheap and effective.

I took advice from this site http://low-selfesteem.com/ and it came out really good. Hope it helps :)