Menu

Talk to me about Math Facts

As in- what are they? And what am I expected to do with them? :tongue_smilie:

We just finished the addition part of our Singapore math book (1A) and it says "Practice these math facts" and shows a picture of kids with flashcards. It shows the addition chart for numbers 0-10.

This is new to me. The only "math facts" I remember in school was the multiplication table. I never memorized it because I always just "figured it out." I was doing algebra in 5th grade, just had a math mind, so I feel inept to teach this aspect. Both my kids seem to have gotten their parents' "math brains" and have picked up addition facts quickly just by doing them. So I'm curious as to the need to memorize them in flash card format.

So- do we need to drill them and call them math facts, for the sake of continuity? So we're in the habit of it when we get to harder things? We do skip-counting during our calendar time every morning, so I could add them in there. But a part of me would rather work on other things, as I feel they'll just pick up the addition facts as they just continue doing math.

How have you handled this?

They will probably pick a lot of them up as they go along if they are mathy kids, but I would probably do a little math drill to make sure they have got the facts. We use xtramath.org because we all hate flash card. Xtramath only takes just a few minutes, so I don't feel like we're wasting. Ton of time on math fact drill.

I don't really drill math facts with my six-year-old. She has her facts to ten down cold and can figure anything beyond that quickly. I do take the time to "drill" (for lack of a better word) her and her brother with these during the day, though: "If we need ten and we only have four, how many more do we need?"

They will probably pick a lot of them up as they go along if they are mathy kids, but I would probably do a little math drill to make sure they have got the facts. We use xtramath.org because we all hate flash card. Xtramath only takes just a few minutes, so I don't feel like we're wasting. Ton of time on math fact drill.

I also use Xtramath with my 2. That is all I do for math fact practice.