Menu

Have you switched from Suzuki piano to traditional? I need help!

My boys have been taking Suzuki piano for 3 years (oldest) and 1 year (middle ds). I love the teacher, love the method, but the cost is very high and it is a 50 minute drive ONE way. There aren't any Suzuki teachers in my area and I'm looking at changing to a traditional teacher. I'm so scared though. My oldest is playing in Suzuki book 2, yet only a very beginning music reader. My 2nd hasn't even started to read music, yet plays with both hands.

I don't want to back track them. Have you been there, done that? Advice? What to look for in a new teacher? Could a willing teacher continue to teach them from the Suzuki book along with learning to read music as they are doing now? Or, am I nuts to stop going to a teacher I love and method I love?

My boys have been taking Suzuki piano for 3 years (oldest) and 1 year (middle ds). I love the teacher, love the method, but the cost is very high and it is a 50 minute drive ONE way. There aren't any Suzuki teachers in my area and I'm looking at changing to a traditional teacher. I'm so scared though. My oldest is playing in Suzuki book 2, yet only a very beginning music reader. My 2nd hasn't even started to read music, yet plays with both hands.

I don't want to back track them. Have you been there, done that? Advice? What to look for in a new teacher? Could a willing teacher continue to teach them from the Suzuki book along with learning to read music as they are doing now? Or, am I nuts to stop going to a teacher I love and method I love?

but my teacher used a modified Suzuki method, so I can't say I truly understand the Suzuki method altogether.

First of all, if your oldest is in Suzuki 2, they are reading music fairly well. Yes, it's still pretty basic, but I would put Suzuki 2 beyond some of the Bastien books, probably beyond Bastien Level 3, or at least equal to that. As far as your second child, they're doing fine. Suzuki, as you know, teaches kids to play before they can read music, so he or she is doing well.

Our piano teacher uses a traditional method. She had all my girls start with the Bastien books, which are very good, especially for theory, which is one of Suzuki's weaknesses. However, I ordered some of the Suzuki books even before they started taking lessons, so I showed them to our teacher. She was quite willing to have them learn from Suzuki, and she's also had some other students work through the Suzuki books. Yes, I think if you found the right teacher, he or she might be willing to use the Suzuki books.

One of the advantages of Suzuki, in my opinion, is that it introduces kids to "real" music before other methods. Many other music series have music that someone has composed in order to teach kids how to play the piano. To me, this is very similar to teaching kids to read using readers. It gets the job done, but fails to inspire any real enthusiasm, if you know what I mean. Real books teach kids to love good literature; readers teach kids how to read. In the same way, real piano pieces composed by masters teach kids to love good music, usually producing more of a love for the instrument that pieces that are composed by music educators. I hope I'm making sense here and not insulting anyone!

As far as interviewing music teachers, I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Since I know something about the piano, when I've interviewed teachers in the past, these are some of the qualities I look for---and this is just *my* own personal list:

1.) Do they teach classical music? Other genres are fine, but IMO, classical is the best. You can branch off into almost any type of music after learning classical.

2.) Do they work well with children? Ask neighbors/friends for recommendations.

3.) How good are they at the piano? Are they able to play more complicated classical pieces? A good teacher can usually only lead the students as far as they've come (although I wouldn't say this is altogether a truism---just something to look for). If they can play Beethoven and Mozart Sonatas, toccatas and fugues, inventions, etc., they'll be able to teach your child just about anything.

4.) Go to a recital and listen to the kids play. How good are the best students?

5.) Does the teacher make the kids memorize their pieces for recitals? Personally, I like this, although it's usually frightening for the kids! (I know, I've BDTD myself!)

6.) Will the teacher teach music theory? Music theory is important and can become very complex.

This is my short list, off the top of my head. I would say if you find a good teacher who can follow some of these things (or all of them, if you agree with all of them) and who is willing to try the Suzuki books, then I would consider giving it a go.

On the other hand, sometimes a really, really good teacher is worth the trip! I may not have helped matters, and I hope I haven't muddled your decision more!

Thanks, your answer was helpful. My oldest is playing in Suzuki book 2, but can't read it - at all. He is doing Bastein, but he is only in book 1. I agree totally with your thought of classical and real music. I wouldn't have thought to look for that, so I'm glad for the reminder. I've called and talked to 1 teacher, a high school senior boy (this alone makes me nervous, we've been going to a top-notch teacher), I have a call in to another teacher and I know of another teacher to call as well. Hopefully one will work. The drive and the cost is, while we *can* afford it, making me feel guilty. I'd love to not waste an entire afternoon traveling each week too.

I haven't got ideas, exactly. Just support if you move them to traditional. My dc were both doing Suzuki. After about 3 yrs of that, I asked our teacher to switch to traditional. She did, and with what they had learned from the Suzuki method all those years, they flourished with the traditional method. In our case, it was a positive move. Dd especially seems to have a better "grip" on music, having learned from both ends of the spectrum.

Good luck with whatever decision you choose.

Laura -

How did it work when they switched to traditional? Did they still review their Suzuki pieces? Did they just start back at square one and give up the level they were playing at? Any other thoughts?

They were still expected to review - they chose 6 pieces each and we revolved them. They still had thier cds, too, and were expected to keep working on figuring those songs out. It proved to be a good transition for us because now they can easily read music and transfer what they see to their fingers AND they can also do so by ear and make a legitimate attempt a playing a song they have heard. Before they had trouble really understanding how to do both. They do still have the same wonderful teacher, though. Is it possible that you can find a teacher that respects both methods, dependant upon the learner? I think this understanding on the teacher's part will help with the transition.