Menu

University common reading

MIch elle

My dd's school has a universal reading for all freshmen. They also require freshman seminar.

Picking Cotton

http://www.amazon.com/Picking-Cotton-Memoir-Injustice-Redemption/dp/B0030EG11K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339507164&sr=8-1

I read it and it was actually a good book. It was about a woman who was raped and mistakenly identified a man (with the last name of Cotton) as the rapist. After about 10 years, the man who was falsely accused was able to get DNA testing done that proved he wasn't the rapist. Cotton and the woman ended up becoming friends. The actual rapist looked very much like Cotton. All of this information is on the back of the book.

Mich elle ~

My daughter was assigned the same book! Well, that's because she is going to the same school as your son haha.

I read that book about a year ago and really enjoyed it. I am hoping my daughter will want to tackle the essay and try for a chance at meeting the author! Regardless, I think it is pretty cool that he is coming to the campus to discuss the book.

My sons had to read a book about a student who used or brought drugs into a foreign country (I can't remember which) and wound up in jail there. They said it was really depressing but I can see why the school makes all incoming freshman read it and I approve. Not exactly great literature but practical. This school really tries to prepare their students for their future life.

Nan

My sons had to read a book about a student who used or brought drugs into a foreign country (I can't remember which) and wound up in jail there. They said it was really depressing but I can see why the school makes all incoming freshman read it and I approve. Not exactly great literature but practical. This school really tries to prepare their students for their future life.

Nan

Was it Midnight Express by Billy Hayes?