Menu

Early Reader E-books

I have a question. My family is making a big international move, so we're looking into e-readers for the first time. My ds5 is in the Frog and Toad stage, and most of the early readers on amazon say they are available only on Kindle Fire or Kindle for Android. I don't particularly want a Kindle Fire, but I could probably be convinced to buy an iPad. So, my question is, would these early reader books work on the Kindle iPad app?

Edited by Bayt ul-Hikmah

I would imagine they would; if you can post a link to one I can check for you.

I will say I have an early reader book for Kindle, it didn't say it was limited but I have it on my old, regular Kindle. I think the biggest difference will be that the images are likely color images if using a color device, whereas they will be missing or black/white on the regular Kindle. On iPad Kindle app they would probably show up in color.

But, honestly, I'd get a regular Kindle with the e-Ink and take a few early reader books for your youngest and just focus on getting stuff for everyone else on the Kindle.

I would imagine they would; if you can post a link to one I can check for you.

I will say I have an early reader book for Kindle, it didn't say it was limited but I have it on my old, regular Kindle. I think the biggest difference will be that the images are likely color images if using a color device, whereas they will be missing or black/white on the regular Kindle. On iPad Kindle app they would probably show up in color.

But, honestly, I'd get a regular Kindle with the e-Ink and take a few early reader books for your youngest and just focus on getting stuff for everyone else on the Kindle.

Would you mind checking? Here is a link. That would be wonderful, thank you. I have a regular e-Ink Kindle for myself, and amazon didn't let me buy it as it didn't detect a device or app that it would work on.

I would like to have some way for my little guy to read on a device because we can't take many physical books with us and access to English-language books will be quite limited. I was hoping he'd be into Magic Tree House and similar titles by now, but he's just not there yet.

I just tried it on my iPad and wasn't able to download a sample because I'm on an iPad. That's frustrating to me too, because I'd love to get these for my beginning reader.

Same here. It said I cannot purchase as it did not detect an eligible device.

However, I'm seeing a LOT of early reader type books pop up in the free listings; you might look there and see if some others are available. They won't be well known titles, but they'll be something.

And, I know the hassles of moving (we are in Brazil, moved from Texas about 5 yrs ago) and this might be a case where it's just worth it to take a few books for your youngest, get as much other stuff for everyone else for the eReader, and then remember that as he grows in his reading ability, he'll have those next level of books waiting for him in the eReader. Then pass on the younger readers when he is done with them.

Another recommendation is the Free and Treadwell readers, because they have folk tales in them, it's a bit more interesting. I will try to post some links later. They're in PDF --you can buy epub from Yesterday's Classics, but the epub available for free need to be cleaned up.

I couldn't on my iPad either. However, I was able to download a free I Can Reader (Huff and Puff) from Barnes and Noble and view it via the free Kids Nook app. So far, my only gripe is that you get double page landscape spreads and can't change it to single page portrait views. But it does have a read by myself option or read to me option. You also have the zoom in features. :001_smile:

I couldn't on my iPad either. However, I was able to download a free I Can Reader (Huff and Puff) from Barnes and Noble and view it via the free Kids Nook app. So far, my only gripe is that you get double page landscape spreads and can't change it to single page portrait views. But it does have a read by myself option or read to me option. You also have the zoom in features. :001_smile:

OP, if you go this route, be sure you get the books from B&N/Nook versions *before* you go overseas. It is next to impossible to download internationally from B&N.

You will not have the same issue with Kindle/Amazon. Just FYI...