Menu

Science-- rocks? geology?

LAmom

I'm not sure what to do for science next year-- I would prefer studying anatomy and physiology every year....:D. I asked my daughter and she mentioned that she wants to study rocks. OK, maybe I can go with that. I thought I would use Apologia, but they don't include any geology,etc. with the astronomy book.

Any unit studies out there or any science curricula that you recommend? I have found some books that look good and hands-on stuff but don't know how, nor want to, piece it altogether myself.

Otherwise, I'm looking for something easy to stick into our schedule because science is going to get done if we get to it. I barely make time for history as it is.

:bigear:

TOPS units are often quite good, and there are supply kits available (for many, at least). Also GEMS guides -- more fun for the littles, more work, no family-sized kits. These are mainstream science guides, though, so they will not be avoiding old-earth perspectives and geology is often full of such things.

Shining Dawn produces nature-study books that are Young Earth in philosophy, are user-friendly, and incorporate artist study and poetry where possible. The most germane to you would prob. be the Erosion and Rocks studies.

Easy Classical, also young-earth Christian, has a year science schedule for Geology, Weather and Astronomy that might suit. I really like their schedules, but we are old-earth and too much of their science content is opposed to what we believe for me to use it myself. Kits are not included, but it is easy to order most of what you'd need from their list and the other things are meant to be easily obtainable; you can look at the sample and maybe try it.

Intelligo has good geology units. OE. I have also heard good things about REAL Science Odyssey's earth and space science, but I have not used it, since I am a piece-it-together-er. ;) if you do geology, my big advice is always to make time for field trips to interesting geolofical sites in your area, no matter which curriculum you choose.

if you do geology, my big advice is always to make time for field trips to interesting geolofical sites in your area, no matter which curriculum you choose.

This is probably really obvious, but what qualifies as a geological site? Ok, I know about Mt. Rainier in our area, but what else? We are doing geology this year and I'd like to take some field trips but I am not sciencey and I am :confused:.

Thank you! I will look into what has been mentioned. Shining Dawn price vs RSO.....yikes. RSO is quite pricey, considering add ons (rock kit), etc. wonder why Apologia only has astronomy and not earth science? RSO is looking good.

You should check out Winter Promise and their program Rock Around the Earth. It is for grades 3-6, so you can combine children if you want to. It is set up to be completed in one or two days a week, and is very open and go. It also includes easy activities like making a mini glacier and creating a flood in a jar.

http://www.winterpromise.com/rock_earth.html

AL

This is probably really obvious, but what qualifies as a geological site? Ok, I know about Mt. Rainier in our area, but what else? We are doing geology this year and I'd like to take some field trips but I am not sciencey and I am :confused:.

Anyplace you can see rocks and geology! :) Helps if you have a book or interpretive signs or something similar, especially if you are not already versed in geological topics...I see you and I are in the same general region, so off the top of my head, here's a start to a list...

Any of the local sound and ocean beaches. Any of our National Parks...Mt. St. Helens and Ape Caves are great. State parks are usually good, a few nice ones for geology are Mima Mounds, Nisqually Delta, and Flaming Geyser, a little farther afield the Vantage area and Petrified Forest are nice. Denny Creek. Naches River on the way to Yakima. Icicle Creek near Leavenworth. I sometimes lead geology field trips for our local homeschool meetup group so PM me if you want the hookup. :)