Menu

Science for 6th, 4th & 2nd ?

~Tara~

Know of anything I could use to easily combine these grades/ages?

I'm not sure *what* we're doing yet...I think they're wanting to go back to some animal/zoology study. But *I* haven't decided yet.

I've been looking into Apologia and God's Design. What else might I take a peek at?

I'm liking the price range of the two mentioned. But I can go a bit above that. Preferrably nothing *too* teacher intensive/with a big learning curve, as I'm planning on starting TOG this year. I think that will be plenty intense and enough of a change for me this year. ;)

I really like the God's Design For Science Series and would think that it would be perfect for your needs. You could easily combine it for all of your children to do together, it's definitely not teacher intensive, and the experiments are extremely easy to do with things you probably already have on hand. There is also a list of what you will need for the experiments in each book so you can be prepared. The God's Design For Life set would be a perfect place to start, too. :)

The older two do Level 1 and the youngest does pre-level 1. Great program, especially the chemistry.

Then get snap circuits for the older two, along with the teaching manuals, and let the youngest watch Magic School Bus videos.

Take them all to a science museum twice a month. Tell them that they have to learn 10 new things, one of which must relate to something they have studied at home during the previous month, each visit.

Get library books that support whatever they have learned in the museum visits.

Next year I would split them, though. Exploration Education for the middle one, and Rainbow or Apologia or Science Explorer for the oldest. Continue with the science museum for the youngest.

ok, they have now settled on astronomy

I showed them Apologia and God's Design. They are saying they like Apologia.

Anyone have 2 cents to throw in on that? Apologia vs God's Design for astronomy.

And yes, next year they will be split for sure. :)

We used Apologia's Botany book last year for 5th grade & K. Well, the K only joined us occasionally. But I was so happy with it that we're planning to do Apologia's Astronomy next year for 6th & 1st grades. I think it will work quite well.