Menu

Breakdown of time spent in 1st grade

spaceman

Here is our approximate schedule:

Math (LoF and MEP)- our longest subject, so we do it first. Depending on how Ethan is catching on to what we're going over, it can last up to 45 minutes. If he were complaining or fidgeting, I would stop before this, but he seems to enjoy it and not mind the long lesson. We usually take a little (5-10 min) break after this.

Reading (Reading Pathways)- We read one pyramid a day. The lesson probably takes less than 10 minutes. We are basically just working on fluency. I am adding on a book from Progressive Phonics for us to do together a couple of times a week. Still, a short lesson.

Grammar (FLL1, only M,W,F)- Another short lesson. We both love FLL. Maybe 5-15 minutes depending on what's involved in the lesson.

Writing (WWE1)- Another great program! About 10-20 min depending on if it's a copy work day or a narration day.

Spelling (Spelling Workout A)- About 10-20 min. We enjoy this program and we have a spelling test on Friday.

--------This is our core stuff. The stuff that follows normally gets done, but if something has to be skipped, it'll be below this line, not our core stuff. :)

History (A Little History of the World, only M, W, F)- Around 20-30 min, depending on how long it takes me to read, him to color or do another activity. It's a very relaxed time though.

Geography (Daily Geography 1st Grade by Evan Moore) (Tues & Thurs)- Maybe 10 min. This is a basic book that covers how to use maps. We do geography with history and if it comes up in other studies. I am also most likely going to implement A Child's Geography of the World here soon.

Science (Animals & Outdoor Secrets/Nature Journal) (M,W,F with Nature stuff being on F)- Around 20 minutes, I read then he colors. I may read some more blurbs while he's coloring or drawing.

Composer Study (M, F)- This just really depends. I'll put on Classical Kids in the car, plus we use the Opal Wheeler books and the Tapper books on Gutenberg.org. We just finished up Beethoven after around 6 wks or so. I am very relaxed on this. We're doing Bach next.

Artist Study/Art (Thurs)- This has suffered the most so far. We've done one day of artist study so far and no art study at all. We're doing Mary Cassatt for artist and Drawing with Children for art. He keeps asking to learn more art, so I'm going to have to work harder at getting this in. The one lesson we did was not very long, maybe 10 min or so.

I think that's about it! We take breaks every couple of lessons or so and definitely after something that was difficult.

HTH some. :)

Edited by cathiasplace

Here's a link to our schedule on our blog:

http://coloradostrongs.blogspot.com/2012/05/this-is-test-to-see-if-i-can-figure.html

(I hope it works, I haven't been able to post new posts the last week but I think my old posts are still there...)

I should include this disclaimer- we don't use all of the time allotted for every subject for every day. Our state standards are a certain number of hours for a certain number of days. I figure I can set aside 30 minutes for spelling, but some days it takes just 10 or 15. Then we usually read more, jump into the next thing to finish early, or take dance breaks. But I also don't have their daily reading to me, or our daily bedtime reading on there, so I figure it all balances out.

Our day is something like this:

Math: 45 minutes

LA: 30 minutes (R&S grammar, Spelling Workout, cursive, and copy work or dictation)

Literature: 30 minutes (from our read aloud, poetry, fairy tales, etc.)

History or Science: 30 minutes (reading and doing a notebook page or experiment/ activity)

Fine Arts: 1 hour, 2 days a week (one day doing a lesson from Artistic Pursuits, and one day listening to Classical Kids)

We have other things that we add in, but they aren't necessarily scheduled. That includes our Mark Kistler online drawing lessons, Geopuzzles, Jim Weiss cd's, extra reading, games, etc.

We start early, take a few breaks, and are finished by about 1 or so.

Our day looks something like this:

Math: About 45 min first thing. Sometimes this stretches to 1 hour because she loves math.

Break: 30 minute break, but sometimes it goes for an hour if I think she needs it.

Writing: 5 - 15 minutes, daily

Spelling: 15 minutes, daily

Grammar: 5 - 10 minutes, 2x week

Handwriting: 5 minutes, 2x week

Independent reading: 20 - 30 minutes, daily

Optional Stuff (if we don't get to this in a day, I don't sweat it)

History: 20 - 30 min, 2x week

Science: 20 - 30 min, 1x week

Art: 30 min, 1x week

Bible, Latin, Geography happen about once a week, in 15 minute installments.

ETA: We also read aloud for about 1 hour daily.

This is a rough breakdown of our first grade:

Piano 20min

Bible 30 min

Phonics 30 min (20 for the second semester)

Handwriting 5 min (only first half of the year)

Writing 10-15 min (4X's week)

Grammar 5-10 min (3X's week)

Spelling 15-20 min (4X's week)

Reading 20 min (extra reading during quiet time)

Math 45 min

History 30 min (2-3 X's week)

Science 20-30 min (2X's week)

It was usually 3-3.5 hours. I don't actually time anything but spelling and piano, but this is how it usually went. We also do a read aloud at bedtime.

Here is our first grade:

Math - 30 minutes- we do LoF and Saxon

Phonics - 15 minutes ETC

Science reading - 5 minutes - CLP Nature Reader 1

Reading - 15-30 minutes

Handwriting - 5-15 minutes McRuffy Cursive 2

Literature - 15 minutes WWE1

These time are approximate as some days it's more and many days it's less. Two hours is our maximum time and one is our minimum.

That is our sitdown time. At another time, we do an hour of read alouds. She also dances and does Judo and goes to school one day a week for music, art, pe and science.

Our schedule leaves her plenty of time for play which is very important to us.

Edited by Karen in CO

We roughly spend about 2 hours a day four days a week on 1st grade. We will work about two days a week during the summer as well.

Here goes:

Language Arts (Reading, Writing, Spelling, Handwriting, and Grammar) 1 hour

Math 30 minutes

History and geography 15 minutes (we alternate these)

Science 15 minutes (not daily)

Bible 10 minutes

Ds6 just finished 1st grade and spent about 2 hrs per day.

Math: 30 min

Copywork or Journal: 10 min (alternating days)

Writing: 20 min

French: 20 min

Read aloud Lit: 20 min

History or Science: 20 min (alternating days)

We also spend 30 min on Art each Friday. This doesn't include independent reading which ranges from 20 min-2 hrs per day.

We generally spent 1-1.5 hours a day.

At the start of the year we did:

15-20 minutes of math (Singapore 2a)

5-10 on spelling

10-15 on grammar

20-30 minutes on science or history on alternating days

10-15 minutes on memory work

By the end of the year, we dropped the memory work and spent more time on math.

He did 15 minutes of silent reading a day and we read aloud most days. I dont count that in our seat work time. That happened at irregular times throughout the day.

When my dd was in 1st grade, I kept things very short and sweet and I'm so glad I did. Her schedule was something like this:

15 minutes - A Reason for Handwriting

20- 30 minutes - Rightstart B

20- 30 minutes - Reading

15 minutes - First Language Lessons

The only other academic thing I remember doing with her is reading SL Core 2to her, which was another 30 - 40 minutes a day. She had tons of time do draw, play, listen to audiobooks and do arts and crafts. I so wish I had done the same for my poor son (my oldest), who I totally put through the wringer, trying to give him a "rigorous" education.

I wish I could go back to those days now!

Lisa

Math: 20-30 minutes daily

Handwriting: 5-10 minutes daily

Writing (journaling): 15-20 minutes. 3-4 times a week

Spelling: 10-15 minutes daily

Independent Reading: 20+ minutes daily

Read-aloud/Narration: 15-20 minutes, 3-4 times a week

Science: 1-2 hours a week

History/Geog: 1-2 hours a week

others

PE: 4-5 hours a week

Fine Arts: 4-5 hours a week

Ours was about 3=4 hours. We used Rod and Staff complete 1st grade, minus their handwriting, plus we added WTM science and SOTW and What Your First Grader Needs to know art and music studies. R&S complete 1st is a time consuming business, but thorough. We could have done less and called it good, but I didn't feel it was too long. It still left lots of free time and time for extra curriculars.

I don't time anything, it's just however long it takes her to do that day's lesson. Sometimes it's an hour, sometimes it's five- just depends on how distracted she is.

math- every day

phonics- every day

spelling- 3-5x/week, depends on how many lessons there are for the particular rule

handwriting- every day

grammar- every day

Bible- every day

science- read every day, exp 1x/week, sometimes a supplemental fun exp

geography- 3x/week

art- 2x/week

sewing- 2x/week- 1 hand, 1 machine

When my dd was in 1st grade, I kept things very short and sweet and I'm so glad I did. Her schedule was something like this:

15 minutes - A Reason for Handwriting

20- 30 minutes - Rightstart B

20- 30 minutes - Reading

15 minutes - First Language Lessons

The only other academic thing I remember doing with her is reading SL Core 2to her, which was another 30 - 40 minutes a day. She had tons of time do draw, play, listen to audiobooks and do arts and crafts. I so wish I had done the same for my poor son (my oldest), who I totally put through the wringer, trying to give him a "rigorous" education.

I wish I could go back to those days now!

Lisa

This is similar to what we did this year.

We focused on Math, Phonics, & Reading. We worked on those things until he was ready to stop. No pressure. Though, I didn't need to pressure him with a younger brother chomping at the bit... that was incentive in itself. When little brother learned something over his shoulder, big brother wanted to work more :) It has worked beautifully and I hope it continues that way.