Menu

Pre calc for fun? Jan? anyone?

My 16dd took intermediate alg (first formal class ever, last fall, got a B) and college alg (took in the spring and got a solid A) at the local CC this past year after having done alg1 (Lial Intro Algebra) at home.

She despised geometry (or maybe just despised Teaching Textbook) and so she just never took it! Otherwise she enjoys math and wants to keep it up this summer so it won't fall out of her head.

2 questions

#1 will the geometry monster come back to bite her for skipping it altogether?

#2 In the fall she'll be taking both bio and chem, 4 cred each at the CC so she doesn't want to add in the 4 credit precalc at the same time and have it all be too much. Any recommendations for a nice course/text that she could teach herself with and go at her own pace?

Thanks.

Sharon

Edited by Blessed
edited to add the grade dd received in CC math courses

She should be fine without Geometry--BUT if she needs high SAT/ACT scores she should try to do 'some'-- or at least really pay attention to those problems in the test review guides.

Has she looked at Life of Fred?

If her College Algebra class was really Algebra 3 then she should take a Trig only class--

My gut says go with a lite Geometry for formula work and then a one-semester Trig course... then take Pre-Calc at the CC next year... those one-semester Pre-Calc courses are buggers unless you have had the material before!

Jann I will have to look at her book/ask her the scope and sequence of her college alg class to know if it was algbra 3. How will I know/what does she need to go on to pre calc sucessfully? Since geometry is missing she would really need to get some in to do well in trig... is that right? What about this for lite geometryhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764558250/ref=oh_details_o06_s01_i02?

And then could you suggest anything for just trig at home? Then pre calc at home or CC later?

Thanks!

Edited by Blessed
ink color

Hi Kai,

Owens' site says $58/mo...that's more than what I'd pay @ CC....is the text friendly enough to do without the online lectures/class time?

I wouldn't use the text without the lectures. If you want a good self teaching text, the Lial books are great.

She should be fine without Geometry--BUT if she needs high SAT/ACT scores she should try to do 'some'-- or at least really pay attention to those problems in the test review guides.

Has she looked at Life of Fred?

If her College Algebra class was really Algebra 3 then she should take a Trig only class--

My gut says go with a lite Geometry for formula work and then a one-semester Trig course... then take Pre-Calc at the CC next year... those one-semester Pre-Calc courses are buggers unless you have had the material before!

Jann said what I would have, but I want to second looking at Life of Fred & doing that book for the formula work.