Menu

Do you *like* homeschooling your children?

I am curious. When I first started out, a lady at church told me that she didn't enjoy hsing her child, but did it because it's what she thought was best for him.

I know there must be other's out there that don't particularily enjoy it, but do it because they believe it to be the best for their children.

I find myself falling into the above camp as I get further and further into the journey. For instance, right now we've been on summer break since the end of April, every time I think about starting again, I get panicky and anxious. I have some dread.

What about you, which side of the fence do you fall on? Is there a way to shake the "I don't want to, but I do it for my kids" funk?

We've had our valley moments, but I (usually) love homeschooling. I had a hard time toward the end of this year, because I was so impossibly busy and pulled in a dozen directions. I had to let go of some things that I wanted to keep in my life. Good is the enemy of Great. Some "good" things had to go so I could recapture the joy.

If it was consistently drudgery, I think they would be better off going to school.

I love it. I have my not great days, everyone does, but I would be so sad if we had to change.

I have had a couple friends who didn't. It just wasn't working for them. One became terribly depressed and wasn't doing well, but kept plugging on because she thought it was the right thing to do. In the end her husband and her therapist convinced her to enroll her kids. It was a great decision for them. I have also had quite a few friends who realized they just weren't good teachers. Their kids weren't getting a good education and they needed to be put in school.

Homeschooling isn't for everyone. It's like a job and not every job is meant to be done by everyone. There are plenty of jobs that would make me miserable and unhappy, or even just frustrated and bored. I know for sure there are lots of jobs I in which I would perform poorly. I don't do those jobs and neither should anyone else.

Homeschooling is also relationship. If it isn't working then it doesn't mean you failed. It means it wasn't right for your relationship with your kids. You don't win any extra points by being a homeschooler. If I were miserable, or couldn't face another year, or thought it was damaging my relationship with my children or spouse I would make a change.

Sometimes I hate it. Occasionally I love it. Most often I like it well enough.

I have had some severe burnout times, but something always happens to get me over them. I have had moments of dread; many of them! Lately they are about high school credits.

All in all I feel that homeschooling is best for my kids, and I do believe that sometimes parents have to give up a part of themselves for their children (and spouse but that's a different matter). So, when I hate it, I still can feel like I'm doing the right thing.

Today, NO!

Actually, lately most days I do not. There is just not a school under an hour away that is qualified to deal with ds and his issues, and even that school is not remotely in my price range. So, count me more on the "best for dc" side than the love to homeschool side.

I love it more than I hate it. :)

I think shaking a funk would be highly dependent on finding out what exactly is causing it and identifying if there is anything specific that can be done to remedy it, even a bit. So, why are you feeling panicky? What buttons are getting pushed?

For me, I started not enjoying it all the time when the kids got to be about 9 and 11. They don't always have stellar attitudes (which is fairly common in kids I hear). It isn't always easy to deal with and sometimes I let it get to me emotionally. I can help this with self talk and trying to make sure I eat enough and rest enough (I'm not so great at this!). Then it's easier to love.

Edited by ThreeBlessings

The first year, I didn't love it. We had so much going on in our lives that it seemed like a chore to have to actually teach my oldest. Somehow, he really loved it, so we kept going. The last two years, I've absolutely loved homeschooling my boys.

I feel that way at least once a day. :D I love homeschooling the rest of the time.

I realize though, that I used to feel exactly the same way about working. I loved my job, but I didn't always love DOING my job or dealing with some of the other people involved.

I think what works for me is realizing that, unlike my old job, I'm the "boss" here and I get to make a lot of executive decisions. I can choose to declare a vacation day when we're fried or a home ec day when the house is a disaster. I can decide to have P.E. or nature study when the weather's gorgeous and the kids are antsy. I can decide to teach math with legos or grammar with mad libs if the kids are having a bad day and need some cheering up. If we're having a really bad week, I can put away all the curriculum and head to the library. I let them choose books they like and want to read, then we spend the week reading, watching videos, doing online research, making crafts, doing experiments, and anything else that THEY want to do. Sometimes we all just need a break from the daily grind. By being flexible, and seeing myself as the boss, I don't feel like I'm "stuck" homeschooling, even when I don't like it very much.

Some days I still like it, but I used to like it more. Some days, I feel like I'm on the brink of homeschool burn-out. Most days, it's just our life, and sometimes life is hard.

Sending my dc to school would also be hard. One of mine has a diagnosis of dyslexia and another has a milder form of something related to it. We've done a lot of remediation and their reading is above grade level now, but writing and spelling are painful.

I *know* intellectually that we're doing okay (or better than okay), but I often *feel* like a failure as a teacher. I think I'd enjoy homeschooling more again if I felt like a good teacher. And I'd probably be a better teacher if I enjoyed homeschooling more.

I am curious. When I first started out, a lady at church told me that she didn't enjoy hsing her child, but did it because it's what she thought was best for him.

I know there must be other's out there that don't particularily enjoy it, but do it because they believe it to be the best for their children.

I remember a few years ago I read a book by Todd Wilson saying that many homeschool moms "hate everything about homeschooling except the results." He didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with that or that it was even a problem that should be addressed; just that it would help these women to know that lots of other homeschooling moms also feel that way. Next topic!

That struck me as strange and sad. We don't love every minute here, but I would say overall we enjoy it most of the time. If I "hated everything about it," that would mean that not only would I hate a large chunk of my life, but also that I would hate a large amount of the time I'm spending with my kids.

I guess I feel like if the homeschool parent truly "hates everything about it," then maybe they need to stop doing it ... or at the very least, seriously change something.

It also makes me sad to think that many homeschooling mothers really do hate everything about it -- the lessons, the planning, the curriculum shopping, everything! -- and are only doing it because a) The believe it's sinful to do otherwise; and/or b)Their husbands force them to do it.

I think shaking a funk would be highly dependent on finding out what exactly is causing it and identifying if there is anything specific that can be done to remedy it, even a bit. So, why are you feeling panicky? What buttons are getting pushed?

:iagree:

When I started to not like it, I remember saying, "I WANT to want to do it. I WANT to love it." I did find out I was pretty chemically depressed, as I said this to a counselor. She later told me that me saying this about home-schooling was one of the red flags that gave her the idea I may need to take a Depression Survey. Apparently losing interest in what you feel called to do is a big sign.

Not to say that having a bad day, week or even month here or there is a sign we should all drug up. But I do say, from the other end of it, that I wished I'd paid more attention to these signs and made some changes sooner.

If it's just end of the year exhaustion, go on with your day. But I think it doesn't hurt to take a good look at what we're doing every once in a while, get a big-picture glimpse, as the day to day details can become over-whelming. I say this is true for everyone that sometimes just doesn't like their job. ;)

Yes, I absolutely LOVE it, and I have loved it from the day that I started homeschooling in 1996. In fact, I love it so much that I want to continue even after my last child graduates (my youngest will graduate in 2013), so I have begun to teach other people's children and I'm lining up more students for when the day comes that I'm no longer teaching one of my own. Just a few days ago, my sister approached me about teaching her granddaughter (whom sister & BIL have adopted). They've already made a committment for her to attend 2nd grade at a private Christian school next year, but they want her to come to me beginning in 3rd grade. :)

Edited by ereks mom

I freaking love it.... seriously love it... I would be deeply saddened at the thought of not homeschooling. Love, love, love learning alongside my son. I love the challenge of working on becoming a better mentor and I love the challenge of inspiring him to love learning as much as I do.

I don't really enjoy it most days -but I have a challenging child. I thought my children would be at least co-operative and like school :lol:

My DD would not reach her potential in a classroom - period and she would receive a lot of negative messages about herself. I won't send her to school. She CANNOT sit in a chair.

My DS would be okay and would survive but wouldn't reach his potential for different reasons -he is a smartie and well behaved -which means he would sit at a desk all day learning nothing, being bored and being overlooked because "he's a good boy and I don't have to teach him because he already knows this stuff".

So even though a lot of days I don't enjoy it - I do it because I can't in good conscience send my kids to school.

Some days I still like it, but I used to like it more. Some days, I feel like I'm on the brink of homeschool burn-out. Most days, it's just our life, and sometimes life is hard.

Sending my dc to school would also be hard. One of mine has a diagnosis of dyslexia and another has a milder form of something related to it. We've done a lot of remediation and their reading is above grade level now, but writing and spelling are painful.

I *know* intellectually that we're doing okay (or better than okay), but I often *feel* like a failure as a teacher. I think I'd enjoy homeschooling more again if I felt like a good teacher. And I'd probably be a better teacher if I enjoyed homeschooling more.

I so get this. This is exactly how I feel. I feel like such a miserable failure as a teacher. It is so hard to enjoy homeschooling when every single day is such a major struggle.

Yeah, I like it well enough. I don't love it. My kids don't like school. They'd plain rather be playing and so a lot of the time it's hard to get the to do their work. And my boys act like puppies most of the time. Homeschooling is hard. And to be quite honest, if we could afford to send them all to the local Christian school, I would. I do realize they are getting a much better education at home. Even much better than the Christian school, and that does keep me going most of the time.

We just finished our 8th year and I still love it. It's so far from what I thought my life would be, but it fits. My son is a cool individual to hang out with. We don't always have bright sunny rainbow filled days, but there are more good than bad.

For some reason (probably stress), I'm having a hard time getting motivated to finish our planning for fall. I have everything mostly decided, I just to write up course plans and print and read and bind some stuff. :tongue_smilie: Maybe that's why I'm putting it off, it's going to take a lot of work.

I worked from the time I was 17 to the time ds was born when I was 30. I needed something to feel productive, something that stays done. Housework certainly wasn't it. Homeschooling, even though I've told ds 1000 times to do a few things, still feels done when it's done. If that makes any sense, I'm tired.

I do notice those times when schooling starts to feel like a drag are when I've lost my course setting. I've either allowed something unwanted to creep in (attitude or physical distraction), I'm not doing something I know I should be doing, I've allowed academics to get spread too thin, or I've quit paying attention to signs from ds that he needs something else (more, less, better instruction. He may be trying to say something when he can't really articulate how he feels) Notice the use of *I*. I assume personal responsibility for all of those things. I talk with ds, sometimes we take a day and regroup. Sometimes I have to get away (physically or metaphorically) from school and regroup myself.

:iagree:

We've had our valley moments, but I (usually) love homeschooling. I had a hard time toward the end of this year, because I was so impossibly busy and pulled in a dozen directions. I had to let go of some things that I wanted to keep in my life. Good is the enemy of Great. Some "good" things had to go so I could recapture the joy.

If it was consistently drudgery, I think they would be better off going to school.

I love it! I have so much fun learning and discovering new things right along with my son. I have so many great memories of homeschooling my two oldest. I'm so thankful to have had this opportunity and I'm so excited for the future years I still have left to homeschool my youngest! Going on 18 years and I still enjoy it just as much as I did my first year.

I loved homeschooling until the last two years (we're in our ninth year now). My middle dd has had some challenges that make each day a struggle. She's coming out of it now and the youngest just went over the hump in reading so we can start to get a lot more accomplished. I made some decisions for next year that I think will help us find our groove again...at least I hope so! :grouphug: Hugs to the OP. Homeschooling is not easy.

I love homeschooling my kids! I've gone through severe burnout, but that's when we take an extra break. Both of my sons are very independent now at schooling. They read all of their own history and science assignments, look up vocabulary on their own, and fill in notebooking pages. The most I do with them is their latin, geography, and math and Grammar. Everything else they do themselves independently. Are you stretching yourself thin trying to work with each child on everything?

Yes, I love it. We have our off days, but I can't imagine living life any other way. I love the amount of time I get to spend with my kids, and learning things along with them.. We will start our 17th year in the fall, and I have 6 to go. I will be sad when the ride is over.

:iagree: But don't ask me this question in February!

:iagree: I love it!

We hit a big funk this past February. What got me out of it was thinking seriously about sending ds back to school in the fall. The idea of doing that and not spending my days with him broke my heart, and got me out of my funk.

Someone said something about being off course. See what else has crept into life that might be causing stress. Think about what subject is causing you the most panic. For me, it was shelving AAS. We are starting Phonetic Zoo tomorrow and I am so excited.

I love planning and learning with my kids. I dislike the pressure of balancing all of that with all the work of keeping up the house. I also dislike the feelings of anxiety that there isn't enough of me to go around and someone 's going to get shortchanged. In general, though, I love having them home, strengthening our relationships, and knowing they are learning the things that are important to me.

Eta: That doesn't mean I don't fantasize about putting them in school every other month. ; )

Edited by Sara in AZ

Well I do so far. He's only in kindergarten which is always fun. For me, it's the miracle of seeing him learn stuff because of ME! I suppose that's pretty selfish, but I deal with so much self-esteem problems. To see me actually doing something worthwhile just makes me incredibly happy.

Well, lately I have been fighting my oldest for History essays, trying to calmly help middle child to find his lost Spelling book (repeatedly) and waiting for youngest to put phongrams together and read already. This "stage" has lasted a full school year. :-/

We have had a major move with tighter finances, many out of country trips for dh, illness and death in our extended family and I added my youngest in delayed Kindergarten (even though I wanted to, I could not wait any longer). I have been feeling pressure on all sides.

We managed to get our testing requirements in and enough of the workbooks done to feel like we gave it a good enough shot this year but I didn't enjoy it. Everyday seemed an uphill battle and my mind did not stay focused long enough for me to be any help to my poor children.

I have enjoyed homeschooling them in the past and I know I will again but I understand your feelings completely. I hope it gets better for you (and me).

Oh, and I must add, I realized that my oldest might be ready to start Highschool sometime during this next school year and now I must add record keeping for transcripts to my overwhealming list.

I'm only 2 years in, but I LOVE LOVE it! Of course there are days when I want to pull my hair out, but I still have no intentions on ever sending them to ps! I went into it thinking it was a temporary thing, until we moved to a better school system. But I fell in love with it :tongue_smilie:I love being the one to teach them, to see them learn, to learn right along side them, and I love spending my days with them! I would be bored out of my mind if they were in school all day :)

Awww, all the moms that say they love it make me happy. I will admit that sometimes I love it and sometimes I don't. As long as it is the best for them I do it even when I don't like it.

My dh loves it. He gets to see his kids more, feels like we have more of a say in their lives, and we are a very close knit family. Plus the kids are so smart. I love that man. LOL

We just finished our first year, and it was a lot of change and many ups and downs. So I don't feel qualified to say I love it yet. I love the idea of it, and it was the best decision for him at the time.

I do still get a little antsy, because I had just been starting to really dig into figuring out what I want to be when I grow up. :D (I have been home, just working a bit part time, since he was born, and I was thinking about a re-launch.) And that's put that off indefinitely... which is fine, and this is much more important, but having only one child, I know that no stage is forever and I think I'm a little twitchy about not having future direction.

That said... we did end the year slightly burned out, but satisfied with our accomplishments, and we're doing it again next year, so that has to count for something, LOL!! ;)

Up until the middle of last week I loved it but since I suddenly dissolved into a big pile of mush last monday and have spent a week on the sofa, crying, sleeping and watching Firefly I am feeling not so happy about home education. I think it's a combo of burnout, having a family full of stubborn people and trying to figure out what I want to do with my own life since it never really felt like it got started before it all ended and I became someones mum and nothing else. All the things I want to do are so unobtainable.

Few more days I am sure I will be back on board with home educaton again.

Generally I like it. I go through short phases when I love it, and short phases when I hate it. Even when I hate it, I don't hate it bad enough to choose any other option.

It is constant hard work, but the rewards are immense, and too numerous to count.