Menu

Summer Farm Camp (hard work) for 13yo boys?

After reading several threads about boys (ages 12-15 or so) needing lots of physical activity and hard labor...I've been thinking about what I can get my ds to do. Thinking about swim team during the school year. I want to plan ahead for next summer, because he is obviously NOT getting enough exercise and physical labor this summer!

I wish I had a relative with a working farm I could send him off to! So then I thought...maybe farm camps? I found some online that sound pretty cool, but I'd really like more of a working most of the day kind of farm camp. The ones I found sound like they do a few chores and then do camp activities. It isn't that I don't want him to have fun, but I want him WORN out every day, and to appreciate the value of hard work and to feel a sense of accomplishment.

So...? Anyone know of anything like this, or been to one? I'm also a bit hesitant to send him to a camp with no references!

Thanks!

I would do this, if I didn't have access to someone who could actually put him to work. My ds is 12 this year and I am having him work with dh in contracting one day a week this summer.

I have a SIL who has a working farm and she also has a "hard, physical labor" type ethic. I sent dd to her one week a summer since she was 13. It was great. There was fun to be had, but a lot of work and learning about the horses, too. I would be into having ds go in the summer, too, beginning next year.

Do you live in an area that hires teens to do corn detasseling? In Illinois, kids can be as young as 12. Oh my, that is HARD work! But kids really seem to mature working for them. If you live in Illinois, Indiana or Iowa, look up Team Corn.

Thank you, thank you! I don't, but MIL does! That's just what I'd love him to do. And to get paid? Then he might even love it!

Do you live in an area that hires teens to do corn detasseling? In Illinois, kids can be as young as 12. Oh my, that is HARD work! But kids really seem to mature working for them. If you live in Illinois, Indiana or Iowa, look up Team Corn.

Do you have experience with this company or know anyone that does? Seems a bit scary to send my 13yo off with some farm hands I never heard of!

My dd10 is the one around here who needs outdoor labor, I mean she loves it and if she doesn't get it she gets grumpy, LOL!

I found that she can be a "barn rat" at her riding stables. They'll let her come early or stay late or come on an off day to work around the stables with whatever needs to be done: mucking stalls, webbing, watering plants, etc. She doesn't get paid but she loves to be around the horses. I hope one day she'll prove her worth and they'll trade lessons for her work hours!

One can always hope anyway =)

Do you have experience with this company or know anyone that does? Seems a bit scary to send my 13yo off with some farm hands I never heard of!

LOTS of kids in our area have worked for Team Corn as their first job. There are other companies but this one is the one everyone around here works for.

The Timothy Group has various events for boys/men ages 12 -21. The Challenge program is designed to teach the Challenge Values: Duty, Courage, Humility, Strength, Godly, Faithful, Teamwork, Discipleship, Sacrifice, Leadership

http://timothygroup.org/events/basic/

DS went through Challenge Basic last fall, went back this spring, is going back as staff in the fall and will probably do the 10 week training program once he graduates. The physcial portion of it is keeping my country raised man child on the ball!

I have a whole week's worth of fencing that needs to be done. :D It could be a day camp experience if we live close enough, seriously.

Well, we live in Missouri. How close are you?! I'm not kidding...I'd consider something like that for him!

Edited by HeidiKC

The Timothy Group has various events for boys/men ages 12 -21. The Challenge program is designed to teach the Challenge Values: Duty, Courage, Humility, Strength, Godly, Faithful, Teamwork, Discipleship, Sacrifice, Leadership

DS went through Challenge Basic last fall, went back this spring, is going back as staff in the fall and will probably do the 10 week training program once he graduates. The physcial portion of it is keeping my country raised man child on the ball!

This looks interesting. What I can't figure out is it is a week during the fall when most kids would be in school. Is it all homeschooled kids? Also, it isn't training to for militia-types, is it? Does it draw that sort? That would not be something I'd want to send him to. But it looks like it wears them out!

This looks interesting. What I can't figure out is it is a week during the fall when most kids would be in school. Is it all homeschooled kids? Also, it isn't training to for militia-types, is it? Does it draw that sort? That would not be something I'd want to send him to. But it looks like it wears them out!

It is for homeschooled kids. Timothy Group used to run the Challenge program for TeenPact and when Tim Echols moved on, Timothy Group formed thier own 501©3. The directors are ex-military officers so the training has that influence but it's not a para-military group at all. Like my ds 17 just said, "It's not a red-neck freak or end of the world type group." Ds came back from Challenge and staff training worn out but happy and jazzed. He absolutely loved it. The point is for the kids to realize that they are made of tougher stuff than they generally think they are. If you want to ask specific questions of him, he'd be happy to answer them.

He was seriously considering the 10 week program this year, but is focusing on math, science and graduating and then doing the 10 week program next spring. In that program, among other things, the kids earn a Rapelling Master cert.

Like my ds 17 just said, "It's not a red-neck freak or end of the world type group."

:lol: Perfect!

Sounds like a great camp, thanks. I'll keep it in mind. I'd sure like him to go with a friend, but his good friends are all kids that go to school!

Thank you for posting this!!! This is right up my ds's alley!! How strict are they on the ages for challenge basic? Think they would let a 12 yr old do it next year? He wants to go like today but he isn't even quite 11 yet. :lol: