Menu

Arts-centered homeschool?

I'm playing around with a new idea this morning.

Both my DDs are extremely creative people. Both draw well for their ages, participate in choir, dance, and love performing. So, the thought hit me: Why not make fine arts (visual art, music, dance) the focus of a homeschool? An arts-centered approach would play to their strengths and might be really, really fun for all of us (I'm an arts-girl, too).

I'm not sure how this would work out or even what it would look like. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Maybe I could teach history through art/music history and incorporate more math-art (tesselations, golden ratio, etc.) into our days? What else could I do? I love the idea of going to the ballet and calling it "school." :D

Like I said, I'm not sure how (or if) it would really work. I'm just trying this idea on for size. I'd really appreciate feedback, even if you think I'm totally nuts! Just be gentle ;)

We do a lot of that here.

My only caution is to be sure the basics are also learned. My son was in a Waldorf school which is excellent for arts...but the it was not working for him to learn the basics of reading, arithmetic etc. Sometimes different parts of the brain are used, so that, for example, the multiplication tables can be learned as a song and dance--this was a Waldorf thing and very cute to watch on stage, but, depending on the way a particular child learns, they may not be available to the part of the brain that is searching for them when a real life math situation arises. Sort of like they got stored in the song and dance memory folder, and not in the math memory folder. OTOH some of what you mention like golden mean work with art, or drawing out the squares for Pythagorean theorem are I think excellent ways to get the concepts of those things down.

We have learned a lot of art based history, and my son who is weak on writing tends to use art to express his learning mastery, which also fits his visual, kinesthetic bent. I think there is an art based geography program which we have not tried. My grandfather learned several foreign languages using music (folk songs, opera, etc.). I'm sure others will have yet more ideas.

My kids are really into drawing, creating with paper and fiber arts. So I concentrate on the basics with school--math, reading, writing, grammar, a bit of history and science. And then I give them lots of free time to be creative.

I buy them art supplies of their own every year and keep other resources on hand. They have tables in the basement that they use for creative activities and I encourage them to check out books on drawing and other things they like.

But, I am really excited about next spring. Once I get my spinnning skills down well. I am going to buy a fleece and I plan on involving them in the washing, carding and dyeing of the yarn. (They enjoy dyeing yarn.) My plan is to knit a coat in the end but I want to make it a part of our homeschool experience.

Good luck and I hope you find out what works for your family.:001_smile:

I am struggling to include the arts and would love to hear what ideas you all have on this subject.

My boys love to write - books but we just seem to run out of time and steam. A friend suggested a family blog. This would do for posting writing, photos, art and nature study.

Any ideas?

Carol

mom of 3 boys

I find it takes about a year for me to be able to start applying an idea. I saw Waldorf. I loved it. It wasn't going to work unadapted. I had no idea what to do. I did little for a LONG time. My mind had been awakened by the samples I saw, though, and little by little, I started getting ideas. Draw Write Now is an important resource for me. Augsburg crayon "paintings" played an important role. Sentence Family at Currclick helped.

Good luck!

We do a lot of that here.

My only caution is to be sure the basics are also learned. My son was in a Waldorf school which is excellent for arts...but the it was not working for him to learn the basics of reading, arithmetic etc. Sometimes different parts of the brain are used, so that, for example, the multiplication tables can be learned as a song and dance--this was a Waldorf thing and very cute to watch on stage, but, depending on the way a particular child learns, they may not be available to the part of the brain that is searching for them when a real life math situation arises. Sort of like they got stored in the song and dance memory folder, and not in the math memory folder. OTOH some of what you mention like golden mean work with art, or drawing out the squares for Pythagorean theorem are I think excellent ways to get the concepts of those things down.

That's a great point. I hadn't thought about that.

We have learned a lot of art based history, and my son who is weak on writing tends to use art to express his learning mastery, which also fits his visual, kinesthetic bent. I think there is an art based geography program which we have not tried. My grandfather learned several foreign languages using music (folk songs, opera, etc.). I'm sure others will have yet more ideas.

I am definitely going to look for that geography program. Thanks.

Waldorf definitely came to mind. I highly recommend The Sentence Family for grammar, which is Waldorf-inspired.

I also would look into Making Math Meaningful.

The CM/Waldorf skill of notebooking allows for art to be meshed with academic subjects. Do a Google image search of "Waldorf lesson books" to see lots of examples.

I wonder if Mapping the World with Art is the geography program Pen mentioned. I also recommend Draw and Write Through History.

Just wanted to add.... We have Mapping the World with Art and I love it. But, it is probably best used by middle school and beyond. The directions, while very clear, require some effort form the listener. An example, for instance- In the middle of you paper, place a small semi-circle curved upward. From the left edge of the circle make a small 's' shape to the left. This is all accompanied by the video which shows the artist completing each step, so it's not difficult, just not designed for the youngest set.

My husband and I are lovers of the arts. Our oldest son is also very artsy and I have a feeling all four will be. Even the baby loves to color. We use art in our literature, we read and he draws a picture on what we read, and he narrates for me. He does a coloring page when I read science and history. And history has a hands on project sometimes crafty. I also have a bunch of art supplies that they always have access to and they take advantage of it a lot. We have a junk box where toilet paper holders, cardboard boxes, plastic bottles, etc. for making random junk sculptures. My 5 year old made a birthday card and then glued it onto different objects from this box and gave it as a present. It was very creative and beautiful. We have a Draw Write Now book and some others in case they want a little inspiration which they've used several times already since we got them this spring. I also got an art curriculum for this next year that includes samples of art that correlate with the lessons.

Our language arts don't incorporate visual art. Sometimes we color with math. And many things in math will be used in art(shapes, perspective/percentages, design, mesurements). We do use a lot of art in our schooling but reading, writing, and math are crucial for growth. I think looking for curriculum that incorporates artistic approaches is great as long as you are still able to cover the core subjects. It sounds like your children will have a blast with you at school. :D

I think that your homeschool can be art-centered without art overarching everything. Does that make sense? You can have a focus, or a weight if you will, placed on the arts while still doing regular old math programs. My kids' theater teacher homeschools her children (one of which is a child prodigy musician who tours), and they seem to eat sleep and breathe the arts BUT I don't think they alter their social studies, science, math, language arts, etc. to have an art angle to them.

I have pictures on my blog under the language arts tab. But we used the Ruth Heller picture books for grammar and we made colorful Waldorf style notebooking pages for each concept.

We also did this for math. We used Waldorf techniques and made notebooking pages for math concepts as they came up. My dds use these to refer to when they do their work.

:001_smile:

I think that your homeschool can be art-centered without art overarching everything. Does that make sense? You can have a focus, or a weight if you will, placed on the arts while still doing regular old math programs. My kids' theater teacher homeschools her children (one of which is a child prodigy musician who tours), and they seem to eat sleep and breathe the arts BUT I don't think they alter their social studies, science, math, language arts, etc. to have an art angle to them.

Yes, that makes sense. It sounds familiar, because it's what we do now. :) I'm considering this new path because the status quo isn't working very well for them.

I was thinking about history yesterday. You know how history is usually taught as politics/who-killed-who first, with a sidebar (if you're lucky) of "during this time period van Goh painted Starry Night," etc.? Well, I'm thinking about flipping history on its head. I want to present the art and musical movements as the main thing and then discuss what was happening politically/economically and how the art/music/popular culture reflected or influenced it. Does that make sense?

I think it might make the information stickier. Plus, it just sounds a lot more interesting and fun. :D

I was thinking about history yesterday. You know how history is usually taught as politics/who-killed-who first, with a sidebar (if you're lucky) of "during this time period van Goh painted Starry Night," etc.? Well, I'm thinking about flipping history on its head. I want to present the art and musical movements as the main thing and then discuss what was happening politically/economically and how the art/music/popular culture reflected or influenced it.

Have you seen DK's "The Story of Painting" by Sister Wendy Beckett? It follows art history from cave paintings through modern times with lots of beautiful images and lots of historical context. I think it would make a good substitute for the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia in doing history as recommended in WTM.

I have pictures on my blog under the language arts tab. But we used the Ruth Heller picture books for grammar and we made colorful Waldorf style notebooking pages for each concept.

We also did this for math. We used Waldorf techniques and made notebooking pages for math concepts as they came up. My dds use these to refer to when they do their work.

Thanks for the instructions for handwriting on crayon lines. Can you give us some more information about doing this? I saw a flash of this on a video and have been wanting to know more about it ever since. Is that pencil on the crayon? What type of crayon did you use?

I'm checking out your whole blog and finding it very helpful thanks.

I find it takes about a year for me to be able to start applying an idea. I saw Waldorf. I loved it. It wasn't going to work unadapted. I had no idea what to do. I did little for a LONG time. My mind had been awakened by the samples I saw, though, and little by little, I started getting ideas. Draw Write Now is an important resource for me. Augsburg crayon "paintings" played an important role. Sentence Family at Currclick helped.

Good luck!

Have you looked at Oak Meadow? What do you think of it? I love the looks of Draw Write Now. I've been admiring it and Oak Meadow from afar for years.

What is Augsburg crayon painting?

Have you seen DK's "The Story of Painting" by Sister Wendy Beckett? It follows art history from cave paintings through modern times with lots of beautiful images and lots of historical context. I think it would make a good substitute for the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia in doing history as recommended in WTM.

Wow, that looks very cool. Thanks for the heads up!

Dr. Carol Reynolds has a lecture on this way to present history. Her focus is on music but in the lecture she talks about dance, architecture, art, and even gravestone designs as introductions to historical events. http://www.professorcarol.com/

Have you had a chance to see Exploring America's Musical Heritage? That looks amazing! It's now on my "must buy" list. Thanks so much for the link.

One of the things I'm playing around with right now, is using certain worksheets as a model, for a hand-drawn journal page.

I want to purchase some stencils. The margins and lines on the notebook paper are often enough of a guide, to easily draw the rest of a graphic organizer. Sometimes the cutesy illustrations can be copied. Often the diagrams can be copied.

Just wanted to add.... We have Mapping the World with Art and I love it. But, it is probably best used by middle school and beyond. The directions, while very clear, require some effort form the listener. An example, for instance- In the middle of you paper, place a small semi-circle curved upward. From the left edge of the circle make a small 's' shape to the left. This is all accompanied by the video which shows the artist completing each step, so it's not difficult, just not designed for the youngest set.

Just curious... how comprehensive is it? I saw it was only 30 lessons... does it cover the entire globe, or just sections?

My kids are the same way... my oldest two both are going after art degrees(one started out in music and switched his major) Anything I did with them that was Waldorf-ish they loved! But there wasn't any curriculum that was Waldorf based when I was teaching them. I just read about Waldorf as much as I could and tried to add it in where I could. People do not know how lucky they are now, there are so many Waldorf curriculum choices. I'm using solely Waldorf curriculum to teach our younger three. Waldorf methods are great for any child but over the top for artistic kids. You can watch a movie for 2.00 online that gives a pretty good overview of how they teach. If you can find this same movie at your library (mine has it) in the extras are actual lessons being taught that I found really helpful to see the "how". http://www.amazon.com/The-Waldorf-Promise/dp/B002Y9G7JS

In a nutshell Waldorf methods emphasize the teaching of the whole child—head, hands, and heart. So they try to approach all the styles of learning. So the children learn say math through movement,handwork,music,oral practice,written practice etc... the heart is trying to approach the subjects in a way that the kids can connect with it, beautiful stories,plays,puppet shows,books etc.. Waldorf doesn't use textbooks the kids make their own textbooks by illustrating what they are learning and writing about it in their main lesson books. Art ,dance,music is taught slowly through the years as you would other subjects like math.

My kids are all thriving using Waldorf methods. Some of my kids did learn to read later. But when they read, they did it in leaps and bounds. This is going to be hard to believe but one of my kids went from not reading at 9 to reading books like Moby Dick in a few short months. I think some things it's kind of like potty training. You can drill them into to learning or just encourage till they are ready it's effortless and the huge difference is they want to and they enjoy it.

As for math we start out using only Waldorf methods so they see math as fun and approachable. We continue teaching the Waldorf blocks where they do written work just like any school. My kids love math so we also bought them teaching textbook math(not waldorf) book to do their practice work. They LOVE them and most days beg to do the next lesson.

If a child is lagging the error is the teachers in not seeing that the child needed extra attention or maybe the parent in not realizing that the child just needs more time or maybe it's a bit of both. I remember my girlfriend whose son was in the local Waldorf school complaining too about her son being "behind" and she pulled him out of the school . I can't help but think it must be so frustrating for Waldorf teachers who know the stats of their grads. It is challenging classical curriculum that builds slowly much slower then public school because it's based on child development. Considering that 94% of the Waldorf grads attend some college and 88% earn a degree... they must be doing something right. In the end though a child might need a different environment to learn in and who best to know it but the parent.

If you are on a budget and want to pull together your own course of study. I recommend A Path of Discovery books there is one for all the grades ( http://www.waldorfbooks.com/curriculum-guides/path-of-discovery-curriculum-guides ) to use as a jump off base or use the charlotte mason curriculum ( http://www.amblesideonline.org/ ) as a base but use waldorf methods ( do a search online you will find tons of free information) Take a look at this pintrest board ( http://pinterest.com/queenslace/ ) you find lots of inspiration and links to tons of free Waldorf information.

If you find you are at place where you can afford to buy we have loved Enki and live Education. HTH

Edited by beachrose
forgot to add link for the waldorf promise movie

My kids are the same way... my oldest two both are going after art degrees(one started out in music and switched his major) Anything I did with them that was Waldorf-ish they loved! But there wasn't any curriculum that was Waldorf based when I was teaching them. I just read about Waldorf as much as I could and tried to add it in where I could. People do not know how lucky they are now, there are so many Waldorf curriculum choices. I'm using solely Waldorf curriculum to teach our younger three. Waldorf methods are great for any child but over the top for artistic kids. You can watch a movie for 2.00 online that gives a pretty good overview of how they teach. If you can find this same movie at your library (mine has it) in the extras are actual lessons being taught that I found really helpful to see the "how". http://www.amazon.com/The-Waldorf-Promise/dp/B002Y9G7JS

In a nutshell Waldorf methods emphasize the teaching of the whole child—head, hands, and heart. So they try to approach all the styles of learning. So the children learn say math through movement,handwork,music,oral practice,written practice etc... the heart is trying to approach the subjects in a way that the kids can connect with it, beautiful stories,plays,puppet shows,books etc.. Waldorf doesn't use textbooks the kids make their own textbooks by illustrating what they are learning and writing about it in their main lesson books. Art ,dance,music is taught slowly through the years as you would other subjects like math.

My kids are all thriving using Waldorf methods. Some of my kids did learn to read later. But when they read, they did it in leaps and bounds. This is going to be hard to believe but one of my kids went from not reading at 9 to reading books like Moby Dick in a few short months. I think some things it's kind of like potty training. You can drill them into to learning or just encourage till they are ready it's effortless and the huge difference is they want to and they enjoy it.

As for math we start out using only Waldorf methods so they see math as fun and approachable. We continue teaching the Waldorf blocks where they do written work just like any school. My kids love math so we also bought them teaching textbook math(not waldorf) book to do their practice work. They LOVE them and most days beg to do the next lesson.

If a child is lagging the error is the teachers in not seeing that the child needed extra attention or maybe the parent in not realizing that the child just needs more time or maybe it's a bit of both. I remember my girlfriend whose son was in the local Waldorf school complaining too about her son being "behind" and she pulled him out of the school . I can't help but think it must be so frustrating for Waldorf teachers who know the stats of their grads. It is challenging classical curriculum that builds slowly much slower then public school because it's based on child development. Considering that 94% of the Waldorf grads attend some college and 88% earn a degree... they must be doing something right. In the end though a child might need a different environment to learn in and who best to know it but the parent.

If you are on a budget and want to pull together your own course of study. I recommend A Path of Discovery books there is one for all the grades ( http://www.waldorfbooks.com/curriculum-guides/path-of-discovery-curriculum-guides ) to use as a jump off base or use the charlotte mason curriculum ( http://www.amblesideonline.org/ ) as a base but use waldorf methods ( do a search online you will find tons of free information) Take a look at this pintrest board ( http://pinterest.com/queenslace/ ) you find lots of inspiration and links to tons of free Waldorf information.

If you find you are at place where you can afford to buy we have loved Enki and live Education. HTH

Wow, thank you SO much!!!

The African Waldorf pdfs are free. The child development pdf lists the topics studied for each grade and there are pdfs for grades 1-3. These pdfs combined with the pininterest might be enough for some moms/teachers to do this for free.

... Waldorf methods are great for any child but over the top for artistic kids. ...NO. I am thrilled for you and your children that your children are thriving using Waldorf methods. But they are absolutely not "great for any child". I have a child who they were not great for. They fit his artistic and hands-on bent very well, but in other regards were bad enough to negate those positives, though I do recognize the positive art exposure aspect, and have tried to keep some of that while jettisoning the parts that were a disaster for him. I know other children for whom it was not a good fit also. It is very one size fits all teaching method at least in bricks and mortar Waldorf IME--others may have had other experiences, and if it is not working for a child the child is considered defective and treated as such. And/or the parent is offered the option of extra help for a very hefty fee on top of the already plenty hefty fees--which extra help seemed, again, IME, to have no proven track record in a world that now does have some good methods for working with problems like dyslexia etc. There were also issues with racism and bullying and other unpleasant things like that--sort of a divide between the heart ideals in theory and in reality. I am sure that Classical education is good for some children, that Waldorf is good for some children, that Thomas Jefferson is good for some children, and public school is good for some children, and Montessori is good for some, and STEM based learning is good for some, and so on and so forth.

My kids are all thriving using Waldorf methods. Again, I am thrilled for you and your children that they are thriving. Some of my kids did learn to read later. But when they read, they did it in leaps and bounds. This is going to be hard to believe but one of my kids went from not reading at 9 to reading books like Moby Dick in a few short months. I think some things it's kind of like potty training. You can drill them into to learning or just encourage till they are ready it's effortless and the huge difference is they want to and they enjoy it.

Sure. I do believe that. But the other side is children like my son who were ready and wanted terribly to be able to do it, and for whom the whole Waldorf teaching method when it came to academics did not work. I had thought it was his own teacher, but then when I got home Waldorf curriculum I realized it was the method was not a fit. Lovely materials, yes, and I wish they had been a good fit, but, alas, they weren't, and it was a very expensive learning experience for me to discover that.

If a child is lagging the error is the teachers in not seeing that the child needed extra attention or maybe the parent in not realizing that the child just needs more time or maybe it's a bit of both. I remember my girlfriend whose son was in the local Waldorf school complaining too about her son being "behind" and she pulled him out of the school . I can't help but think it must be so frustrating for Waldorf teachers who know the stats of their grads.

Many parents know the stats too. And they know what the Waldorf progression is, such as typically not doing reading till 3rd grade. Few parents shell out big private tuition $$$ without checking these things out. But some of us then find that even knowing those things, and even expecting a slower progression, it is still not working, and that perhaps, our child is falling "behind" even by Waldorf's own slower system.

It is challenging classical curriculum that builds slowly much slower then public school because it's based on child development. Considering that 94% of the Waldorf grads attend some college and 88% earn a degree... they must be doing something right.Or have children from high socio-economic-educational backgrounds, where those statistics would be expected or even perhaps low. It is hard to say what those statistics really do mean. Yes, they are higher than for our local public school, but the Waldorf population is very different than at the local public school. And they may represent that many of the children for whom it was not working do get pulled out so are not counted as Waldorf grads. In the end though a child might need a different environment to learn in and who best to know it but the parent.

Yes. Exactly. That is the point I am trying to make. It is not great for any child, perhaps not even for most.

If you are on a budget and want to pull together your own course of study. I recommend A Path of Discovery books there is one for all the grades ( http://www.waldorfbooks.com/curriculum-guides/path-of-discovery-curriculum-guides ) to use as a jump off base or use the charlotte mason curriculum ( http://www.amblesideonline.org/ ) as a base but use waldorf methods ( do a search online you will find tons of free information) Take a look at this pintrest board ( http://pinterest.com/queenslace/ ) you find lots of inspiration and links to tons of free Waldorf information. Thank you for giving these links.

Hi, Beachrose, please do not take this as an attack on you personally, I really appreciate your links, and am glad that what you have got works for you. But some of the curriculum are really very expensive, and I think people should realize that they are NOT for every child going to be a good fit if only the parent can afford them. For some it might be like people were posting about Thomas Jefferson Education, a sad, expensive learning experience that they are not a good fit. I don't think someone like Hunter should be feeling bad that they are too expensive for her as they may well not fit the children she is working with for various reasons...and the parts that would help probably can be found for free. Even for artistic hands on learners like my son it may not be a good fit. I do think for an artistic child it would be worth looking at Waldorf type material to see if it might be a good fit, or if useful parts could be borrowed to be used eclectically with other methods. It might also be a good idea to look at the Waldorf critics websites along with the pro-Waldorf ones in order to get some more insight into the pros and cons. I do not want to discourage people from pursuing Waldorf, since I do think it is good for some, but also do not want to see people thinking it will be a panacea, and perhaps regretting very expensive explorations into it when it is not right for them.

Edited by Pen

Regarding Mapping the World with Art

Just curious... how comprehensive is it? I saw it was only 30 lessons... does it cover the entire globe, or just sections?

Here is the link to the table of content page on her site:

http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/downloads/MappingTheWorldContents.pdf

Here is a link to a YouTube page that shows a sample lesson. :

If you're interested check out her site. You can download the first three chapters of the program to see how it works. Also, check out YouTube (search eejm63 and there will be several of her 'how to draw' videos.

Hope that helps.

Yes, that makes sense. It sounds familiar, because it's what we do now. :) I'm considering this new path because the status quo isn't working very well for them.

I was thinking about history yesterday. You know how history is usually taught as politics/who-killed-who first, with a sidebar (if you're lucky) of "during this time period van Goh painted Starry Night," etc.? Well, I'm thinking about flipping history on its head. I want to present the art and musical movements as the main thing and then discuss what was happening politically/economically and how the art/music/popular culture reflected or influenced it. Does that make sense?

I think it might make the information stickier. Plus, it just sounds a lot more interesting and fun. :D

Sounds lovely! It's like taking a humanities course in college ;-) I will be excited to see what you develop - make sure to let us all know!

Hi, Beachrose, please do not take this as an attack on you personally, I really appreciate your links, and am glad that what you have got works for you. But some of the curriculum are really very expensive, and I think people should realize that they are NOT for every child going to be a good fit if only the parent can afford them. For some it might be like people were posting about Thomas Jefferson Education, a sad, expensive learning experience that they are not a good fit. I don't think someone like Hunter should be feeling bad that they are too expensive for her as they may well not fit the children she is working with for various reasons...and the parts that would help probably can be found for free. Even for artistic hands on learners like my son it may not be a good fit. I do think for an artistic child it would be worth looking at Waldorf type material to see if it might be a good fit, or if useful parts could be borrowed to be used eclectically with other methods. It might also be a good idea to look at the Waldorf critics websites along with the pro-Waldorf ones in order to get some more insight into the pros and cons. I do not want to discourage people from pursuing Waldorf, since I do think it is good for some, but also do not want to see people thinking it will be a panacea, and perhaps regretting very expensive explorations into it when it is not right for them.

Sorry I offended you honestly I wasn't trying. I'm a really straight forward person with my views and I understand that can be offensive , sorry! It's just common to hear of people that get nervous with the method and I wanted to say something about that. I do not know your situation and couldn't possibly speak to it. I just gave my thoughts for what might be the cause of some failures. I really believe the curriculum is fantastic. It does try to utilize all the possible learning styles so it's very effective for most children even those in public schools. In fact there is a growing number of public Waldorf schools and many more Waldorf inspired schools. Also ,you might have missed where i said "In the end though a child might need a different environment to learn in and who best to know it but the parent. " (said humbly not arrogantly there hate that there is no inflection there so you could hear my intent. )

Edited by beachrose
reworded because I'm a put a foot in my mouth kind of person

Sounds lovely! It's like taking a humanities course in college ;-) I will be excited to see what you develop - make sure to let us all know!

The DVDs How Art Made the World and The Private Life of a Masterpiece could interest you.

One link I wish I had added because it's such a great resource is this

http://www.waldorflibrary.org/index.php?searchtext=ebook&author=on&title=on&isbn=on&description=on&publisher=on&option=com_booklibrary&task=search&Itemid=3

A waldorf library with tons of free ebooks on how use waldorf methods.

For instance this book is great! has lessons from 2 to 8th and it's free!

http://www.waldorflibrary.org/books?task=view&id=1384&catid=0

Waldorf is like Spalding to me. It seems so easy and cheap until I try to implement it. Every time I start studying the methods, I end out slipping down a slippery slope, where my slipping all of a sudden picks up speed, and I find myself at the bottom of a hill slightly bruised. I walk away for awhile and then always come back :-0

I'm walking away again, this time before I get bruised, but I tagged this thread to come back later :-)

Edited by Hunter

This course from Teaching Company is focused on the tradition of music in Western Civilization, and the lecturer presents the music as a window onto contemporary culture. It's really marvelous, for a parent as background (not for a primary child), and the earliest musical style is a re-creation of an ancient Greek tune. Our library loan system often has these lectures available as CDs/DVDs. A nice corollary in the sound domain to Sister Wendy in the visual arts ...

Waldorf is like Spalding to me. It seems so easy and cheap until I try to implement it. Every time I start studying the methods, I end out slipping down a slippery slope, where my slipping all of a sudden picks up speed, and I find myself at the bottom of a hill slightly bruised. I walk away for awhile and then always come back :-0

I'm walking away again, this time before I get bruised, but I tagged this thread to come back later :-)

Yeah I have to agree with it when I first started I felt overwhelmed and I already have two grads. I think what helped me the most was the Enki training videos. I wish more companies would offer videos on teacher training (where you see actually lessons done with kids) or that Enki would offer theirs to buy separate from the curriculum.

I think it helps to realize that waldorf basically is unit studies. They call them blocks but it's just like unit studies but done with art. The art/handwork/movement part just implement things slowly as you learn them. My girlfriend tells me she can always tell what I'm learning to master by my pintrest LOL I swamp myself reading,watching etc.. everything I can on my new subject ,learn it and then bring it to my kids.

Edited by beachrose

This course from Teaching Company is focused on the tradition of music in Western Civilization, and the lecturer presents the music as a window onto contemporary culture. It's really marvelous, for a parent as background (not for a primary child), and the earliest musical style is a re-creation of an ancient Greek tune. Our library loan system often has these lectures available as CDs/DVDs. A nice corollary in the sound domain to Sister Wendy in the visual arts ...

That sounds amazing I'm pretty sure my library has those courses I need to check them out! Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I have to agree with it when I first started I felt overwhelmed and I already have two grads. I think what helped me the most was the Enki training videos. I wish more companies would offer videos on teacher training (where you see actually lessons done with kids) or that Enki would offer theirs to buy separate from the curriculum.

I think it helps to realize that waldorf basically is unit studies. They call them blocks but it's just like unit studies but done with art. The art/handwork/movement part just implement things slowly as you learn them. My girlfriend tells me she can always tell what I'm learning to master by my pintrest LOL I swamp myself reading,watching etc.. everything I can on my new subject ,learn it and then bring it to my kids.

The problem for me is I start spending so much time being "swamped", that I neglect my tutoring students, and even stop focusing on the priorities in my own self-education.

Edited by Hunter

Yeah it is a balancing act ...life, homeschooling or not. :lol: Because honestly I would just be swamping myself with something else if it wasn't school stuff. It's part of what attracted me to Waldorf in the first place the total immersion into subjects. I learn that way naturally.

I did something similar to this with the ballet unit study that I designed for my dd. We studied the history of ballet and were able to touch on the Renaissance, Louis XIV, Impressionism, and Tchaikovsky. Using ballet as our thread through time, we were able to touch on so many subjects. It has been a lot of fun for my artsy, dancer girl! :001_smile:

I'm wondering if there's anything out there that combines the two (ala Sister Wendy combined with music history) either in DVD format or a book/CD combo. Something where one can be listening to music from a particular time period while looking at art from the matching culture and time period. I'd actually prefer if there was no audio lecture track - maybe just pictures on the screen that would periodically change along with the music and a companion book that would give a written "lecture" of the historically important bits that would go along with. I've looked at the Carolyn Reynolds program and I may go with that but it sounds as if it's mostly her lecturing. Not that I'm being picky or anything... ;)

I know that I could probably put something together myself but I was just thinking that it would be so relaxing to simply pop in a DVD and enjoy the paintings, sculptures, and architecture of a culture/time period while the music of said culture/time period was playing along with it and where we could pause the DVD to look up any historical stuff we wanted to in the corresponding companion book.

I guess I'm being picky AND lazy. :D

Anyone know of anything like this?

Thanks for the instructions for handwriting on crayon lines. Can you give us some more information about doing this? I saw a flash of this on a video and have been wanting to know more about it ever since. Is that pencil on the crayon? What type of crayon did you use?

I'm checking out your whole blog and finding it very helpful thanks.

Glad it is helpful. I spent the money and bought the beeswax block crayons. My first set of 8 crayons is almost 10 years old now and still going strong. These crayons don't break. I create the edge with the flat side of the crayon (there are 3 sizes to choose from) and then the child uses a corner to write. I have also invested in the large set of block crayons and the stick ones.

Oak Meadow--you can find this used fairly inexpensively at time. Check out the OM yahoo group.

Spaulding--I meshed it with Waldorf and I have a pdf of what I did. If you would like a copy, I can e-mail it to you. My plans are to clean it up and sell it eventually like my SWR worksheets for A-M.

Edited by Closeacademy

Glad it is helpful. I spent the money and bought the beeswax block crayons. My first set of 8 crayons is almost 10 years old now and still going strong. These crayons don't break. I create the edge with the flat side of the crayon (there are 3 sizes to choose from) and then the child uses a corner to write. I have also invested in the large set of block crayons and the stick ones.

Oak Meadow--you can find this used fairly inexpensively at time. Check out the OM yahoo group.

Spaulding--I meshed it with Waldorf and I have a pdf of what I did. If you would like a copy, I can e-mail it to you. My plans are to clean it up and sell it eventually like my SWR worksheets for A-M.

I have 8 block crayons, but no pastels. I thought maybe that is what was used. Is pencil or pen used on the crayon lines? I sent you a PM about the pdf. Thanks!

We just used the block crayons. I would "shade" in the lines and then she would use the corner of the crayon to write. Once she got older we got the "normal" shaped beeswax crayons and used those.

Pencil does work on it though. I "draw" on my monthly calendars and use pencil to write in our activities.

Okay, you used crayon on crayon. I'm hoping to be able to be able to use pen or pencil on the crayon lines.

I've been looking at calendars and want to include this in the monthly lessons plans. I keep having one student ask me what month it is :-0 I'm not sure what is up with that. Since I've told her it is June 3 times already this month, I guess I need to deal with this more aggressively.

Until the days get shorter again, everything that can be turned into art is good. My manic students find their creations to be SOOO beauuutiful at this time of year and have much less art anxiety :-)

I guess I should google waldorf calendars or journal calendars for ideas.

Since this manic student likes to carry around all her beauuutiful artwork, maybe she'll be able to hold on to her calendar, and USE it. Sigh. Fall IS coming I keep telling myself, and heads WILL clear.

We're using a similar idea of basing it round art/crafts, simply because my children learn better and it tends to be able to work with age differences.

Your idea is very intriguing, but caution should be applied as to "how far" you go. An example of this would be incorporating ballet into maths, working out calculations etc for ballet steps, could for some children, be fun, but for others, may ruin both maths & ballet for them LOL.

I am unsure of the ages of your child/ren. I'm gathering looking aqt your sig, you either have 2 children (1 round 5-6 and one round 7-8) or one child round 6-7.

For younger children its easy to incoporate things without changing your own homeschool, to suit the child in question.

Examples:

-"Living and learning" Maths time. Let her dress up in a tutu, and either have a hundred board mat (the thing made out of plastic) or make a home version. She can dance and spin, you give an equation (6+1=, 3x2= etc) and she has to "point" with her toe to the answer.

-Science - Keep two of the same plants opposite sides of the house. Play music twice a day for 30m-1hr for one plant. Compare results.

-Copywork: copy lyrics, shakespeare, pop songs etc. Let the child give her opinion as to what the song "means". If she is able to write unhindered, you can have her write down on a separate page about what she thinks it means, and a picture.

- do a couple of unit studies a year, on thing like the ballet, composers and artists.

-Summer school. Do an "adventure box"- this is the equivalent to a self unit study. Let her choose a subject (ballet, dinosaurs etc) and fill up a box with all sorts of things, from books, to core subjects that contain the theme.

I would write more but I have a little one who is demanding her sippy cup :p. Hopefully I have given you the idea though, and been of some help :d xxx