Menu

Touchscreens: do you need screen protectors? Cases?

Ack. We're entering the 21st Century and I need to know what I need for the Kindle Fire or my touchscreen phone. How fragile are these things? Are the accessory packs (cases/screen protectors/styluses) a waste? If I am the one using it and not our dc? They're still assigned to the desktop and flip-phone.

tia

We have a leather case that doubles as a stand for our tablet. I also got screen films, but my husband (who is usually better with such things than I am) destroyed two of the three trying to apply them, so there isn't one on it right now. I think they're beneficial in cutting down micro-scratches from constant touching, but it depends on frequency of use how important they are.

I really like the cover/stand, though, so I can stand it on the counter in the kitchen, etc.

I get scratches on my screen constantly. Since I keep a screen protector on, when the scratches get enough that they are annoying, I just replace them. If I didn't have a protector, I obviously wouldn't be able to get rid of the scratches that easily. I would never go without one on a touch screen.

I would definitely get a screen protector and case for the phone. Way too many chances to get it dropped, scratched, etc. For the Kindle you may be able to get away without them, but you may want to at least get an inexpensive sleeve for times when you might want to put it in your purse or other bag.

I did not like the leather case that came with my phone, and it was a pain to take my phone out to use it. I got a rubberized snap-on shock absorbing case that came with a screen protector for my phone. they get dropped, they get tossed and bump against other stuff, etc. easy to replace a case.

Screen protectors are necessary IMO, as well as a case. Phones get more wear and tear so it's worth it to protect it (it probably cost a lot seeing as all these 21st century gadgets are!) so I would invest in a good screen protector and a case.

I have an iPad and I bought a stylus for it, GREAT! So you might want to purchase one for the Kindle?

I have a screen protector on each touch screen device and a case-the iPad has a leather book-type one that doubles as a stand, and my iPod has a leather flip case. DD7's iPod has an otterbox, and my phone has a screen protector and a shell.

I buy the screen protectors in multi-packs so I can replace as needed). I do have a stylus for the iPad, but I got my worst scratches (that led to replacing the screen protector) when my DD was trying to write on the iPad to do a e-worksheet, and slanted too much so the metal was scraping against the screen.

I don't have screen protectors on anything. I've had my phone for a couple years, same with my iPod Touch. No damage on the screen whatsoever. The Kindle Fire is made with gorilla glass and it's really strong. My kids each have a Fire with no screen protector on them and they are fine.

As for cases, I don't have one for my phone. I do have one for my Touch, because it's slippery and also for all our Fires.

I have ipads, ipod touches and an iphone along with 4 kindles (the keyboard versions) and none of them have screen protectors other than the iphone. I just got my iphone and since I don't carry a purse have a habit of dropping my phone sometimes when my hands are too full. The only reason it has a screen protector is because it was part of the Otterbox Defender I got to put it in. I have a Zagg thing on the back of my ipad because it makes it somewhat slip proof and doesn't add any bulk to it. I also have a smart cover on it, but that's mostly to make sure I have a quick stand if needed. The other ipad is in a leather case/stand thing for the kids and we only got that because they don't have a smart cover option for an ipad 1. The touches are just loose like they come out of the box and we've never had a scratched screen yet.

I get scratches on my screen constantly. Since I keep a screen protector on, when the scratches get enough that they are annoying, I just replace them. If I didn't have a protector, I obviously wouldn't be able to get rid of the scratches that easily. I would never go without one on a touch screen.

The screens on your devices are made of much harder materials than a screen protector. You can scratch a screen protector much more easily than a screen.

I would never not have a screen for my phone. The Zagg brand works really well, and is easy to put on.

We have liked every Zagg product we have used. It is very high quality.

After a cracked iPad, we now have cases and screen protectors on all our devices. Even if you are careful, freak accidents do happen. I'd recommend the screen protector just in case; having a protector can keep the glass in place even if it starts to crack. Beware of furniture with cast iron legs.

I've always had iPhones. I just made the leap from one to four. I also have an iPad. I've never used a protective screen for any of them and I've never had a scratch. I've dropped my phones face down on concrete multiple times. That's NOT a good thing, but I worry more about a screen shattering from impact than scratches.

I think the screen protectors are what scratch easily.