Menu

At last!

Calvin has been waiting all his life for this moment. His writing ability has caught up with his voracious reading and this is his summer (six week) reading list:

1) East of Eden: John Steinbeck: Penguin Modern Classics: ISBN- 978-1846687358

2) Paradise Lost: books 1&2: John Milton: Oxford Student Classics: 978-1846687358

3) The Book of Disquiet: Fernando Pessoa: Serpent’s Tail Classics: 978-1846687358

Background:

1) The Ode Less Travelled: Stephen Fry

2) 52 Ways of Looking at a Poem: Ruth Padel

3) The Art of Fiction: David Lodge

4) Eats Shoots and Leaves: Lynne Truss

5) English A Literature (IB Diploma Programme): Hannah Tyson, Mark Beverly: Oxford University Press.

It's definitely not a stretch for him - he enjoyed a university lecture on Paradise Lost that I took him to this year - but there's some good meaty stuff. He's read some of it before - I remember lying on my bed with him as we giggled together at the Lynne Truss when he was seven - but there's enough that is new to fire his enthusiasm.

Laura

super duper! congratulations. i am curious, did he like lord of the rings?

It was one of those things that he liked, but only briefly. I think he re-read it recently (because Hobbes was reading it) but it never became a large part of his life.

Other things - for example Terry Pratchett - have had a longer life. I think it's the humour and wordplay that he enjoys.

Laura