Menu

What can I use for a son who wants to learn about electricity he is in 6th grade

lori in tx

The BEST book that I found is The Thomas Edison Book of Easy and Incredible Experiments.

"An idea-packed catalog of projects, activities, and science fun sure to inspire future "Edisons"… Thomas Edison patented 1,093 inventions — and more chemistry experiments than any other scientist ever! This book reflects the fascination that he found in experimentation and presents the best, most popular experiments and projects sponsored by the prestigious Edison Foundation. Here, in one convenient volume, you will find a range of activities from the very simple (for primary or middle grades or individual young scientists at home) to the intriguingly complex (for older students, groups, or an entire class). These experiments require no science background. They utilize inexpensive, easy-to-obtain materials. Most of all, the projects are fun to build, safe and useful, and each provides a good demonstration of important scientific principles in real-life action! Most youngsters and teens can work on the experiments with little supervision, and there are ample ideas for science fairs and "extra credit" projects. Over 100 illustrations are included, plus photos of the legendary inventor himself. Experiments in this book encompass magnetism, electricity, electrochemistry, chemistry, physics, energy, and environmental studies — topics for varied interests in grades 4 through 11. Throughout, emphasis is on the essence of scientific "tinkering," experimenting for the pure fun of it … activities that lead to satisfying hobbies, new ideas, and learning. Edison himself would surely enjoy this book — so imagine that you are visiting his laboratory, and let this be your introduction to a world of discovery. …"

This is the kind of book that grows with your child, too. There are a wide variety of experiments. He may take it and run with it on his own or he may want to have some assistance from you. It's a great book, though.

The BEST book that I found is The Thomas Edison Book of Easy and Incredible Experiments.

"An idea-packed catalog of projects, activities, and science fun sure to inspire future "Edisons"… Thomas Edison patented 1,093 inventions — and more chemistry experiments than any other scientist ever! This book reflects the fascination that he found in experimentation and presents the best, most popular experiments and projects sponsored by the prestigious Edison Foundation. Here, in one convenient volume, you will find a range of activities from the very simple (for primary or middle grades or individual young scientists at home) to the intriguingly complex (for older students, groups, or an entire class). These experiments require no science background. They utilize inexpensive, easy-to-obtain materials. Most of all, the projects are fun to build, safe and useful, and each provides a good demonstration of important scientific principles in real-life action! Most youngsters and teens can work on the experiments with little supervision, and there are ample ideas for science fairs and "extra credit" projects. Over 100 illustrations are included, plus photos of the legendary inventor himself. Experiments in this book encompass magnetism, electricity, electrochemistry, chemistry, physics, energy, and environmental studies — topics for varied interests in grades 4 through 11. Throughout, emphasis is on the essence of scientific "tinkering," experimenting for the pure fun of it … activities that lead to satisfying hobbies, new ideas, and learning. Edison himself would surely enjoy this book — so imagine that you are visiting his laboratory, and let this be your introduction to a world of discovery. …"

This is the kind of book that grows with your child, too. There are a wide variety of experiments. He may take it and run with it on his own or he may want to have some assistance from you. It's a great book, though.

I just wanted to add that if you find a good biography of Edison to read along with this book, you would have a well-rounded study of electricity. I haven't read this book, but it looks interesting. It might be something you could check out from the library and pre-read to check for it's appropriateness for your son. My daughters are voracious readers and prefer a good adult biography to some of the books offered for children. You'll have to figure out where your son fits in there. It might be good for a read-aloud, if you son still enjoys being read to.

Have you seen this website. I've heard good things about this guys courses, and I'm considering it for my 6th ds for this fall. http://www.quickstudylabs.com/

My son did a year of this and loved it. It is pricey, but we thought it was worth it They build real circuits and learn basic electronic concepts. There are weekly quizzes and monthly tests, too.

My son did the younger level that uses Snap Circuits. Making any circuit that uses a noisemaker component is one of the great thrills of his life :) The older level uses "real" tiny electronic components and moves much faster, but small motor control was a concern for us, so we went with the easier version because of the Snap Circuits.

Karen

I would get a used copy of cpnceptual physics edition 3 or above. It has several chapters on electricity - electroctostatics, circuits and electromagnetics. The book is very readable and should only be a couple of dollars and usuable through high school. The later editions have more circuits in them (also more algebra). Snap CIrcuits are fun but you have to work withthe kids to get them to be more than just noisy legos.

CoffeeBean