Menu

Pay as you go phone

I am so confused. I don't want one with a monthly rate. I want something like a Tracfone that I buy 400 minutes at a time and have a year to use it.

If the phone has web surfing, how does that work against your minutes? Or can you set the web to only work with wifi?

I need about 700 minutes per year based on past usage. A bit more would be fine for buffer.

I was looking at this deal:

http://www.amazon.com/Tracfone-LG-LG800G-Minutes-Triple/dp/B0057GUFEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339384287&sr=8-1&keywords=triple+minutes+tracfone

This is for the kids to use while I am out or while we are on vacation, not a regularly used phone.

Dawn

I have a tracfone, I pay about $100 for one year of service and 1000 minutes. I bought the minute doubler, so I get double minutes for the life of the phone. If you buy more time before your service expires, then your minutes carry over. My phone is very old, so it doesn't have web. Dd's verizon pay as you go does (but she never uses it), it would take $.99 per day out of your balance to use it (so 10 minutes would come out of your balance).

Look into T-Mobile prepay. We seldom use our phones, but need to have them. I make maybe three calls or texts daily, and Dh uses his much less.

T-Mobile has no daily charge for making a call - just the minutes charge. If you get the gold membership (you buy $100 worth of minutes) then you have a year to use the minutes.

Works for us. You can get the phone at Walmart for around $20.00

HTH

Joann

ETA: I don't know about web surfing.

We have tracfones but don't do any websurfing. We have always bought minutes before the time expired so they roll over. That seems like a good deal to me at .083c a minute. My phone has 4 days left on it now and I'm trying to decide what to do here, I very, very rarely use mine I think I used about 100 minutes last year. I was looking at a similar deal for dh though when his expires in a few months. I always try to figure the price per minute and get the lowest possible for him as he uses his more. With mine it is different as I use it so little and I don't like paying for the privilege of something rarely used.

As soon as my ding dang Verizon contract is up I am doing the same thing. I have researched it to death and it looks like Virgin has the best phones and deals. Let us know if you find out differently!

I was just looking but it seems that it is a monthly fee but no contract. It depends on what you want but it appears significantly more expensive for our usage here. Do they have just minutes or airtime cards as well or am I missing it?

I bought a $29 Net 10 phone at Dollar General. Yes, Dollar General!:lol: My dh got a fancy $200 Android phone from Best Buy on Boost Mobile, which is powered by Sprint. We've been to some remote parts of GA and I am the only one who will have service. He constantly roams in and out of service, but I have only dropped service for a minute or two in a "hole".

He pays $50 mo for unlimited everything. I buy 200 minutes for $20. They expire after 3 months, I believe. My little $29 phone does have web & text capabilities, I just don't really use them.

I'm fairly certain Tracfone and Net 10 are the same company, so you should have good coverage.

Kim

I just bought a verizon phone from Staples for $19.99 and it had $10.00 of minutes on it. Minutes are 25C per and you can refill your phone online.

I only need to have it for emergencies and the occasional phone call, no texting plan, etc. I'm not one to spend time on a cell phone.

I've used it maybe 5 times in the past three weeks at maybe 1 minute each time. A plan would be a huge waste of money.

The phone is simple, no frills, and works well.

Faith

Alright, I just looked at all these different companies and it seems for light usage Tracfone is the cheapest but if you are looking for higher minutes, more advanced features, unlimited etc there are other companies with better deals.

For dh and I we can both have access for about $16 a month. The cheapest route for me would be 60 minutes for 90 days at $20, which is more per minute but longer time, as I seldom use mine. For dh it looks like the 1 yr with 800minutes for $120 would be the best deal. (Both from Tracfone)

We both already have double minutes so that would give me 40 minutes(@.17c a min) a month, which is way more than I use at $6.67. It would give dh 133 minutes(.075 c min) a month for $10 a month.

fwiw Dawn the double airtime cards are $10 on Amazon. So you might find it a better deal to go with less minutes and buy that card, although I didn't price it out.

Edited by soror

I don't think they do, I think it is just monthly with no contract. It works out to be less expensive for me than Verizon. We have to have data packages and tons of minutes, we work on our phones and I have three teenagers with phones. I pay almost $800 a month. :(

You really should take a look at Straight Talk. In our area, they use Verizon's towers, so the coverage is excellent. Unlimited talk/text/data for $45/month. Assuming you have 5 phones (you and DH plus 3 teens), that's a total of $225 vs. $800.

Eta: How much is it to break your contract with Verizon? It may be worth it to do so, all told.

Edited by Princess Peach

I don't think they do, I think it is just monthly with no contract. It works out to be less expensive for me than Verizon. We have to have data packages and tons of minutes, we work on our phones and I have three teenagers with phones. I pay almost $800 a month. :(

Wow, well you will have huge savings then! It all depends on what you are using it for and how much you will use it.

No, I do not want a monthly plan right now for me. This is the KIDS' phone and it is currently $20 per month on MY Plan but they use about 10-30 minutes per month max and I need it to be about $5/mo., not $20. I am spending $240 per year for them to talk to ME only and only about 240 minutes per YEAR!

Strait Talk or Virgin Mobile's monthly plans may work for ME when my Sprint contract is up, but I just want MINIMAL minutes.

I did not know that minutes rolled over if you don't use them and you buy new minutes before they expire. That is very good information. I was worried that they wouldn't use the entire 1200 minutes within the year and I would lose them.

I do not NEED web browsing. I just saw that that phone had it and wondered how it worked as I only want it to work within wifi and don't want to pay for that feature.

Here is what I want: Texting capabilities and talk capabilities......no web unless it is wifi only. I also want to pay about .10/min for talk only. No monthly fees, no .99 for days I use my phone, just strait minutes used charges only.

Dawn

Edited by DawnM

Where are you seeing the bad reviews? On Amazon it has a 4 start out of 5 on 153 reviews.

Dawn

Dawn, I was reading reviews for this and the phone itself has some pretty bad reviews. You might to check that out. I was just thinking it might be a good deal for dh but I'm not sure now.

You really should take a look at Straight Talk. In our area, they use Verizon's towers, so the coverage is excellent. Unlimited talk/text/data for $45/month. Assuming you have 5 phones (you and DH plus 3 teens), that's a total of $225 vs. $800.

Eta: How much is it to break your contract with Verizon? It may be worth it to do so, all told.

I will look at it, thanks! No, we have contracts ending one at a time over the next year. It will just be an expensive endeavor until then. :tongue_smilie: We are going to have a little celebration when it is all over!

Wow, well you will have huge savings then! It all depends on what you are using it for and how much you will use it.

It's awful. We absolutely have to have the huge data and minutes and unlimited texting. Two of my kids are in college, one is in 8th grade, all iPhones and Droids here, too. Crazy silliness we started...

Where are you seeing the bad reviews? On Amazon it has a 4 start out of 5 on 153 reviews.

Dawn

I looked at the 1 star reviews at Amazon, it seems that there are customer service issues and some issues with the phone itself.

Edited by soror

Dawn I was looking at the Verizon that Faith talked about and it seems a good deal for super low usage, if you opt for the 25c a minute there isn't a daily charge, of course if you end up using it more than you plan it would end up costing a lot more in the end. At your 250 minutes a year though that would be $62.50 for the year, minus the free $10 in free minutes= $52.50 +$20 set up cost would be $72.50 a year. Although, it might be worth it for $20 more or so to have more minutes and not worry about running out.

I was checking out that option for myself as I think my actual usage last year was about 100 minutes.

We've always ordered ours from their website. The customer service has always been pleasant to deal with (on those few occasions like switching phones out). Fast delivery too.

Tracfones have been a great value for our family. When my current I-phone contract ends this fall I will be switching over to a Tracfone. I do not NEED all of the bells and whistles---since I work from home and we have a land line.

Unused minutes roll over as long as you make sure your end-date has not expired (they give you reminders).

My oldest has had her Tracfone for 5 years (since she started driving)-- she just replaced her first model phone with one that texts (she only sends 1-2 texts per day).

Yeah, if I were sure the minutes would be that low, I would jump. I am just a bit concerned that they will need more minutes.

Wouldn't a Tracphone for .08 per minute be a better deal?

What is the lowest amount of minutes you can buy with Tracphone?

A phone that allows double or triple minutes would be beneficial as well.

Dawn

Dawn I was looking at the Verizon that Faith talked about and it seems a good deal for super low usage, if you opt for the 25c a minute there isn't a daily charge, of course if you end up using it more than you plan it would end up costing a lot more in the end. At your 250 minutes a year though that would be $62.50 for the year, minus the free $10 in free minutes= $52.50 +$20 set up cost would be $72.50 a year. Although, it might be worth it for $20 more or so to have more minutes and not worry about running out.

I was checking out that option for myself as I think my actual usage last year was about 100 minutes.

https://www.tracfone.com/direct/Purchase?payGo=true&app=TRACFONE&lang=en

Here are all the options from Tracfone. There are so many variables it is just so individual what is the best deal for any one person. Also, there are very often special promotions from Tracfone as well, for bonus minutes, double minutes etc.

eta: I think for me what I've looked at is how many minutes will I use and what is the cheapest cost per year, not necessarily per minute to buy that many minutes. I'm looking at the Verizon for me now, although it is way more per minute with a Tracfone I'd be paying more just to keep coverage. With Verizon it would cost me about $35 for the year I think, while it would cost me $80 for Tracfone as I'd have to buy more minutes then I would use just to keep coverage. Even if I ended up doubling my usage it would only be $60. However, for you I think the Tracfone the difference is a lot smaller. Dh uses more though so buying the year plan with more minutes would be the cheapest option.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/tracfone.com

Edited by soror

Here I come again with my CDMA/GSM information. I'm sorry that I post this to every pay-as-you-go cell thread I run across here, but it was such great information for us when we were choosing a phone that I can't help it ;).

Quoting myself from another thread:

The basic gist was that cell phones with model numbers that end in "C" use CDMA which is Sprint or Verizon networks. Model numbers that end in "G" are GSM and use AT&T or T-Mobile. Here's *some* info, but not as good as the other article:

http://techtips.salon.com/cdma-vs-gs...ice-20419.html

We asked around regarding what network worked best for our friends in the area. Verizon came out on top, so we shopped for a Straight Talk phone that ended in "C". We got the Samsung R451C for $20 refurbed. It works like a dream! I found out the previous Tracfones we had were "G"s and therefore on the AT&T network, which only works well in certain areas of our county!

It was amazing to us to find we could actually *choose* our carrier, based on the model number, and not have to get a pricey contract.

Thank you.

Here I come again with my CDMA/GSM information. I'm sorry that I post this to every pay-as-you-go cell thread I run across here, but it was such great information for us when we were choosing a phone that I can't help it ;).

Quoting myself from another thread:

Just so you know, Strait Talk is adding the iPhone as an option later this month.

You WILL need to pay for the iPhone up front in full, but then the cost will be $40/mo for unlimited everything if you set up auto pay with a bank draft or paypal (not CC)

Now, I have read that data will the throttled at about 2.5 is it GB? I don't use that much anyway unless I am on vacation, and I can cut back, but your teens may use more?

I will be looking into that option when my Sprint contract is up.

Dawn

It's awful. We absolutely have to have the huge data and minutes and unlimited texting. Two of my kids are in college, one is in 8th grade, all iPhones and Droids here, too. Crazy silliness we started...

Oh, ok, I get it, I THINK.

Tracphone is cheaper per minute, but you have to keep topping it off or you lose unused minutes.

So, it could be more $$ in the long run.

Is .25 for minutes used the absolute cheapest out there for just paying as you use minutes?

Dawn

https://www.tracfone.com/direct/Purchase?payGo=true&app=TRACFONE&lang=en

Here are all the options from Tracfone. There are so many variables it is just so individual what is the best deal for any one person. Also, there are very often special promotions from Tracfone as well, for bonus minutes, double minutes etc.

eta: I think for me what I've looked at is how many minutes will I use and what is the cheapest cost per year, not necessarily per minute to buy that many minutes. I'm looking at the Verizon for me now, although it is way more per minute with a Tracfone I'd be paying more just to keep coverage. With Verizon it would cost me about $35 for the year I think, while it would cost me $80 for Tracfone as I'd have to buy more minutes then I would use just to keep coverage. Even if I ended up doubling my usage it would only be $60. However, for you I think the Tracfone the difference is a lot smaller. Dh uses more though so buying the year plan with more minutes would be the cheapest option.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/tracfone.com

Oh, ok, I get it, I THINK.

Tracphone is cheaper per minute, but you have to keep topping it off or you lose unused minutes.

So, it could be more $$ in the long run.

Is .25 for minutes used the absolute cheapest out there for just paying as you use minutes?

Dawn

I'm all ears on that. I'm also curious if there is a limit of time in which service gets cut off from non-use, as I might go a month or more without using it at all.

I was just figuring and I think the breakover amount is 26 minutes of usage. If you use 26 minutes or less per month the Verizon 25c pay per minute would be cheaper but any more than 26 minutes per month usage and it is cheaper to use the Tracfone, buying the 90 days/60 min cards.

Edited by soror

Here's an alternative to trac-phone for pay-as-you-go phones. http://www.platinumtel.com/ It has a straight 5 cents a minute for talking and 2 cents a minute for texting.

Looking at the site it seems you have to pay for service as well though, right? $10 for 90 days

$30 for 180 days

$100 for 365 days

(Then other options for those days which are more money but it doesn't explain why that I can tell)

https://www.platinumtel.com/plans/realpaygo

Then you pay the minute rate on top of that right? How are minutes charged or can you prepay cards, I'm having a hard time finding that on the site. I see a review that states they use Sprint towers.

If I'm understanding correctly it would cost me for the year at current usage:

$20 phone to start (the cheapest one they have)

$60 for 360 days service

$5 for minutes

$85 total for the year/ $7.08 month

Unless I am totally missing something here.

ARGH! Why do they make it all so darn confusing???

Dawn

Looking at the site it seems you have to pay for service as well though, right? $10 for 90 days

$30 for 180 days

$100 for 365 days

(Then other options for those days which are more money but it doesn't explain why that I can tell)

https://www.platinumtel.com/plans/realpaygo

Then you pay the minute rate on top of that right? How are minutes charged or can you prepay cards, I'm having a hard time finding that on the site. I see a review that states they use Sprint towers.

If I'm understanding correctly it would cost me for the year at current usage:

$20 phone to start (the cheapest one they have)

$60 for 360 days service

$5 for minutes

$85 total for the year/ $7.08 month

Unless I am totally missing something here.

ARGH! Why do they make it all so darn confusing???

Dawn

Seriously! After more searching I think the minutes are included w/ the card. So, for $30 you get 180 days of service and 600 minutes. It seems people don't like their phones, all refurbished and coverage is variable, ie if you have good Sprint coverage it is good but otherwise not. I don't think that Sprint covers well in my area and I think the Verizon would still be cheaper in the long run for my use.

I use Page Plus Cellular, runs on verizon network. I used my out of contract verizon phone so i didn't even have to buy a new phone. There is a monthly fee of 50 cents. But minutes can be bought for as little as 4 cents a minute.

I buy the $80 card (but I buy from callingmart.com and wait for a sale and save another 5%), it gives you 2000 minutes and they are good for a year. If you refill before it expires, then the minutes roll over.

I've been using it for about 4-5 years now and have been very happy with. I average about $6.00 month that I spend on the phone.

But honestly, that only saves us $5/mo and limits us. I will just stick with the $20/mo if it isn't that big of a difference.

Dawn, I think Net 10 might be better, you get more minutes. I have never paid more than 10c a minute.... My son has the Net 10, it comes out to 15/mth. I get $30 w/300 minutes every 60 days for his phone. Minutes carry over.

I have both pageplus and tracfone. I like them both.

I don't believe the minutes roll over on pageplus so you can get about 2000 minutes for a year for $80. There is the $.50/mo service fee. You can't stack cards to extend time (possible on tracfone). I too get them at callingmart with the coupon code. Kittywireless is another option, they have excellent customer service but no coupons.

You can bring your own device, so if you've got a verizon phone it will work. Or get one cheap off ebay or CL. Disable data on your phone; it is $.99/mb-- HORRIBLE!!

Pageplus also has $10 cards good for 120 days with 100 minutes. So you could have service for as little as $30/yr if you rarely use any minutes. (of course, if you run out you could buy more). $6 fee per year will end you with 240 minutes for the year for $30.

Tracfone $20 cards are good for 90 days, and they have the best coverage in my area (CDMA+free roaming; superior to pageplus) but the phone selection is abysmal. But I keep it in the car, so no frills is fine by me. Minutes rollover and you can find coupon codes for bonus minutes + double minutes (or triple minutes) to get around 150-200 minutes for $20 for the 90 days. We never use up our minutes, so I buy the $20 card for the 90 days of service.

Last I checked, Net 10 cards are only good for 30 days, so they are NOT a cheap option for super low usage.

See, this is why I don't understand why I can't use an outdated Sprint phone with StraitTalk. They told me no even though they are Sprint based.

Dawn

ETA: I meant Virgin Mobile, not StraitTalk.

I use Page Plus Cellular, runs on verizon network. I used my out of contract verizon phone so i didn't even have to buy a new phone. There is a monthly fee of 50 cents. But minutes can be bought for as little as 4 cents a minute.

I buy the $80 card (but I buy from callingmart.com and wait for a sale and save another 5%), it gives you 2000 minutes and they are good for a year. If you refill before it expires, then the minutes roll over.

I've been using it for about 4-5 years now and have been very happy with. I average about $6.00 month that I spend on the phone.

Edited by DawnM

See, this is why I don't understand why I can't use an outdated Sprint phone with StraitTalk. They told me no even though they are Sprint based.

Dawn

I think it's for the support side... there are boatloads of various old phones out there and it would be impossible to know how to troubleshoot each one when problems arise.

Even with pageplus, they don't offer tech support on the bring-your-own phones.

Look into T-Mobile prepay. We seldom use our phones, but need to have them. I make maybe three calls or texts daily, and Dh uses his much less.

T-Mobile has no daily charge for making a call - just the minutes charge. If you get the gold membership (you buy $100 worth of minutes) then you have a year to use the minutes.

Works for us. You can get the phone at Walmart for around $20.00.

This is what I did. It is great for people like me who don't use the phone all that much. Initially I bought 1000 minutes for $100. At the end of the first year, I had so many minutes left over that I just spent $10 for 30 more minutes to roll everything over... which took me almost to the two-year mark.