Menu

Kitt Kittredge

We went to see Kitt Kittredge:American Girl movie yesterday. :lurk5: My dd8, ds7, and dd's best friend 9. We all loved it. It was well plotted and interesting without resorting to s*x, violence, or crudity like so many movies nowadays. It gave a good picture of the Depression without being too dark for young kids. And they loved that the kids stuck together even in adversity and helped each other. Highly recommended movie from here. :001_smile:

DD is working on book 6 of the series right now. Her reward for getting through them (she is a reluctant reader) is going to the movie with Mommy. Hopefully she will finish by the end of the long weekend. I am glad to see some grown ups liking the movie.

My dds (and even my ds) loved the movie. I thought they did a good job. Then girls had a blast and took their dolls (oh...and so did my son...grandma got him one of the boy bitty baby twins so that he can participate with his sisters when they play AG -- not sure how long it will last, but my husband has resigned himself to the fact that it is, in fact, OK, and his son will be a wonderful dad someday. :D)

(oh...and so did my son...grandma got him one of the boy bitty baby twins so that he can participate with his sisters when they play AG -- not sure how long it will last, but my husband has resigned himself to the fact that it is, in fact, OK, and his son will be a wonderful dad someday. :D)

LOL - Grandma got my ds a doll a while ago and it caused a lot of sighing and eye rolling with my dh until I pointed out that ds spent most of his time playing with it by throwing it down the stairs over and over. :lol:

I am planning a DD and mom morning with this and then lunch at panera's afterwards. I got a good deal on Kit off of eBay and will surprise her with it - I wanted her more than my DD, I think. :-) I am glad to hear you liked the movie and am excited to see it!

I might be the only one who says this but I was a little disapointed. I liked it but expected it to be better somehow.

I haven't read all the Kit books. Does anyone know if the movie followed the books? I didn't care for the dance instructor character who was flirting with the magician. Was she in the books?

I usually enjoy Joan Cusak but the way she portrayed her character drove me crazy, especially seeing her try to run!!! :lol:

It didn't end at Christmas time like all the other 3 movies. I felt really bummed about that.

It wasn't my favoriet American Girl movie.

JMHO

LOL - Grandma got my ds a doll a while ago and it caused a lot of sighing and eye rolling with my dh until I pointed out that ds spent most of his time playing with it by throwing it down the stairs over and over. :lol:

My dh would actually prefer that, truth be told! lol Nope, my ds wants to carry him around when my dds do and even changes his clothes. Luckily it is one of the older looking boy (toddler) dolls, not the baby doll. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

In our area, Kit has moved to the bargain theatre. I don't know if this has happened nationwide. I wanted to give people the heads-up so they don't miss it at the theatres.

My dd and I saw it yesterday. I was surprised at how many older (elderly)men and women were there. But then I thought maybe they either felt a connection to the Depression or they wanted to see a G-rated movie.

In our opinion, the movie was entertaining. Breslin was the worst part for us. We just didn't like how she portrayed Kit.

DD and I also enjoyed doing a compare and contrast with the Annie musicals and movies.

I haven't read all the Kit books. Does anyone know if the movie followed the books? I didn't care for the dance instructor character who was flirting with the magician. Was she in the books?

No, it didn't follow the 6 book series, although certain elements were the same. Dd recognized bits from one of the "extra" books -- I think it was a mystery. I haven't read those, so I don't know.

To my knowledge there wasn't a dance instructor or magician in any Kit book; dd concurs with this. Also, no mobile librarian.

I thought the ending was overdone in sort of a smarmy way. And Kit owned way too many clothes for the situation.

But we liked it. Dd's Girl Scout troop went, and several of the girls brought there dolls. Younger dd sat next to me and had to suffer through my commentary on the sweaters (ooooh, her twin set in the movie is hand knit -- I bet we could make one of those! And the crocheted cloche hat with the crocheted green band -- so much better than what the AG catalog shows! And I'd love to have that crocheted jacket her mom wore at breakfast. Etc. etc.).