Menu

integrated math options? X-post

To me, "integrated" mostly means that geometry isn't separated out into its own course. I mean, algebra has to flow in a certain direction for the most part. And throwing in a bit of trig, functions, etc, seems mostly show to me in the younger years, but I had a bad experience with integrated math for my oldest son in public school, so I probably have an attitude :)

Anyways, Saxon integrates Geometry in each year, although I'm not sure if proofs are fully covered.

My son's aforementioned experience was with public schools using Core-Plus, so that's an integrated option. They pride themselves on "real life" scenarios, but my son felt like they were all "widget" scenarios that didn't feel real-life to him.

One of the schools near us uses McGraw-Hill's Chicago Math. Not sure if that's the one your schools use. I didn't think they were integrated necessarily, but they do have an extra year of FST as they kids call it (Functions, Statistics, Trig, done before precalculus).

Also, I think "integrated math" is pretty close to just having very regular reviews, and you might find that kind of very loose integration in some regular math series. I'm thinking of Jacobs Geometry with its algebra review at the end of every unit, and things like that.

You might dig around for math used in K-12 and math used in New York state, as I've heard the word "integrated" associated with them. But again, to me it's not all that different of a sequence.

Julie

I think Saxon and Singapore would be the easiest curriculums to implement as they have solutions available. Here are two other options but these do not have readily available solution or teacher manuals.

India follows an integrated math approach and their textbooks are available as a free download.

Not exactly a textbook but Philips Exeter Academy has a very unique integrated problem based approach to math. Their problems are available for free but require someone well versed in math since there is no direct instruction.

Just curious why you don't want to use Singapore? Their Discovering Mathematics (not to be confused with the one from Key Press, which as far as I know is not integrated - they have separate texts for AlgI/Geo/AlgII) is very strong. If US math was integrated, I would've stuck with it through advanced mathematics.

We used part of the MEP GCSE level earlier this year. Ds liked it well enough, but there wasn't enough teaching helps for my needs. We struggled with a few other non-integrated books this year, and I just ordered Singapore's Discovering Mathematics. I really like the layout and the teaching book offers full solutions. They also reference a lot of websites in the teaching notes (haven't had time to check them out yet) but I feel like there is more support for DM, if that's important for you.

Do check out Discovering Math series from Singapore math. I love their chapter in a nutshell pages. May be difficult to find teacher materials and step-by-step answer guides.

Also Center for Innovation in Math, http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm, has free on-line resources from primary through IGCSE and "step-up" to A level (British system, post-IGCSE).

I've used both for geometry and statistics topics to supplement our US algebra textbook. But either could be used as the primary math resource.

:) Deb

Thanks for this, Ruth; we've wondered about taking some IGCSEs at some point. Is this Oxford book the one you're using/will use?

HG

No, my ds will continue with AoPS, but will use a study guide to prepare for the IGCSE exam when the time comes. AoPS is a more challenging program, and my ds would seriously cry if I made him give it up.

Ruth in NZ

Do check out Discovering Math series from Singapore math. I love their chapter in a nutshell pages. May be difficult to find teacher materials and step-by-step answer guides.

:confused: Not at all. The Teacher Guides for all 4 levels of DM are available at the Singapore website, with complete step-by-step answers for all the problems. The Workbook has a separate TE, also with worked problems. Rainbow Resource also carries all the teacher materials.