Menu

Guest Hollow's "Otter's Science"?

LittleIzumi

Has anyone used this? How did it work in practice?

I'm considering it for next year for The Sponge. She's done a basic anatomy/physiology overview from many, many library books, but now she wants to know HOW and WHY everything works like it does. That's harder. I was going to give her a basic chem grounding and then try Ellen McHenry's stuff to begin with, but I think that's a bit over her head right now. I'm hoping that Otter's Science is meaty and detailed enough to satisfy her and move her understanding up a level. (Plus she's always up for more dissection. :lol:) Or are there any other ideas? I am going to grab The Way We Work from the library as well.

cross-posting this on the AL Board.

(ETA: I discussed it with her and we are going with the original plan of chemistry, plus she wants to start "The Brain" NOW, lol, but I'm still curious about this! It looks like a great curriculum, and I might use it for the next year with my younger daughter anyway.)

Edited by LittleIzumi

:bigear:

I would love to hear as well. This is what we decided to use for ds11 and dd14 (supplementing with the books she suggested for high school) as well as tossing in the Ellen McHenry Brain and Cells units.

So, if someone used it and hated it, a heads-up would be great!

Not what you asked but I was highly impressed with the book list from little otter's science. She did an excellent job finding books with lots of "meat' but delivering at a young childs level. When we visit this topic again I will definitely look at her suggestions for books and activities. She has an eye for finding the perfect book.

Not what you asked but I was highly impressed with the book list from little otter's science. She did an excellent job finding books with lots of "meat' but delivering at a young childs level. When we visit this topic again I will definitely look at her suggestions for books and activities. She has an eye for finding the perfect book.

:iagree::iagree: They look fabulous, and my library has almost all of them! We decided on a different science for next year, but the following year will be anatomy/physiology for both, and Otter's will DEFINITELY be a huge part of it.

I used it with my 2nd grader this past year and we really enjoyed it. I love the format of her lesson plans. I had originally intended to use Apologia's A&P but my son did not enjoy the textbook. We mainly used it for the "Try It Now" experiments. We also added in a lot of Bill Nye videos and used this site for short videos and games: http://kidshealth.org/kid/

• 3 weeks later...
She has an eye for finding the perfect book.

You just made my day! ;)

Otter has always been a reluctant and picky reader. I have to choose books that hold his interest and also have content that he can retain. His specific needs motivated me to create curriculum for him in the first place (along with some other reasons like saving $). I hated spending hundreds of dollars on a package of books and having half or more of them turning out to be duds. I'm also a bit of a children's book connoisseur myself and fortunately Otter and I have similar taste in that regard. :)

Many of the books we purchased for Otter have been used repeatedly over the years.

This has been my experience with the books I chose as well. Otter still pulls books off the shelf that we used for the anatomy study, even though it was a long time ago and he's much older now.

Anyway, if anyone has any specific questions about Otter's Science, feel free to ask. We had a great year with it.