Menu

What is the union fee if you're a public school teacher?

GAE (Georgia Association of Educators, a professional organization for public education professionals, and PAGE (Professional Association of Georgia Educators). Although in some ways, these organizations function like unions, neither negotiates teaching contracts. Benefits of membership include professional development workshops, liability insurance, legal services, and lobbyists in the area of education legislation. When I taught in PS, I was a member of PAGE. Currently, PAGE dues are $150 per year. GAE dues vary from one school system to another.

You would need to call and ask the union you are referring to. Every school district has a unique Union Contract so even if it is the same union in another place, the contract will be different and so the $$ will be different. That is why unions are referred to by a number....Local 455 or local 744. Some companies/schools have the union only for HR staffing issues, and some will negotiate retirement, and some will negotiate health benefits separately. The more they negotiate, the more the dues are likely to be.

Yes, VA is a non-union state, but we still had to pay dues unless we opted out... which I did. I needed the money too much to support people for the fun of it! VA teachers are gov't employees and it is illegal for them to strike. The National Teacher's union does very little for the teachers here, but most are members. I think dues here are about $65 a year, or they were long ago.