Menu

How do you find/organize your resources?

momchiroto2

I am feeling overwhelmed. My boys watched an episode of MythBusters, and the topic was something to do with Hitler and World War 2. I wasn't watching with them. However, after the topic both of the boys (6,4) wanted to know everything about Hitler, world war II etc. My question is how do you seize the moment and indulge them with the information and where do you go in particular to find the information rather rapidly? I did a search online, we have the History encyclopedia's and read them etc. What more do you do? How do you seize this interest and just fly with it.. any input thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Shahnaz

We do the above-mentioned... searching (love the "for kids" tip!), the library... but I also go to Brain Pop to see if they have a video on the topic. If you have Brain Pop, it's a great resource that way.

We also use our old-fashioned hardback encyclopedias for things that won't be out-dated.

I agree with everyone else. The library is a wonderful wealth of information. I also google everything with my oldest dd...even though some of the things we find on the internet is junk. A good resource is homeschool share...they have lapbooks that are free and have tons of links to great websites.

But specifically about WWII and Hitler, see if you can find someone who was alive around that time. They would love to tell you their "stories." And it would be a great thing for your kids to actually talk to an elderly person about their experiences.

I love it when my kids get really interested in things, and they come at you with questions (and "did you know"s)! I think it's important for them to see and be a part of the process in order to give them tools for learning (as opposed to information only). and it helps them develop the attention skills and a sense of delayed gratification when they have to wait for some answers and information. With that in mind I have things bookmark led or pinned (pinterest) when I come across them on the Internet. I do web searches and book searches for material from the library. I come to WTM forums!

I don't know if this is the kind of answer you are looking for but I have a notebook that I record projects, interests, questions that my son has..... much like Lori advocates in her Camp Creek Blog post here: http://www.whiteoakschool.com/camp-creek-blog/2008/11/3/inside-my-project-journal.html

I'm also trying to teach my son to cultivate the habit of writing in his Commonplace Book, any questions he wants to research or rabbit trails he wants to follow. That way, when its time for our weekly library trip - he has a list of topics to start with...

As for my resources at home, I'm trying to organize our books by subject to make things easier to find. I'm just not there yet in terms of organization though....:D

I'm also trying to teach my son to cultivate the habit of writing in his Commonplace Book, any questions he wants to research or rabbit trails he wants to follow. That way, when its time for our weekly library trip - he has a list of topics to start with...

I love this - thank you for the idea!

One much used resource here is a little Concise Columbia Encyclopedia "CCE" (alas I gave away my old Britannica). It is easy to grab the CCE for a little more knowledge before the interest fades away (as can happen very fast). For example, today my son wanted to know where rice is native to, and I was not sure if it was China or India perhaps, so a quick check in the CCE gave at least a basic bit of info.

We also have a few good National Geographic references for science, history and geography, and a globe, generally all readily available.

Otherwise my answers are like what you already got--library, web, and keep is list or commonplace book.