Menu

Exercise question: How sore is too sore?

I've been using T-Tapp and can do the entire Total Workout without breaks and it doesn't make me sore, so I thought I was getting into somewhat decent shape.

However, I did 2 days of 30 day shred on Thursday and Friday, and I could barely move yesterday. I am still sore today, but not quite as bad as yesterday. My thighs, calves, shoulders, and abs all hurt when I move them, with thighs and calves being the worst. Just sitting down or getting up from a sitting position was torture yesterday. I have never had any exercise cause my calves to hurt like this, and I'm not sure whether I can safely continue 30DS, or if I need to let my muscles recuperate. I could just do T-Tapp for a few days, which is more stretching and balance instead of jumping and jogging.

30DS did that to me as well. I flipflopped beginner and intermediate workouts and it eliminated the super soreness.

Thanks, Mandy. I was using the free Level 1 video on YouTube, and Level 2 is not available. But I think I'll alternate 30DS with T-Tapp.

The book, The First 20 Minutes, talks about soreness and it states that soreness for up to 3 days is normal. Anything lasting longer than 3 days means back off and/or modify.

Try an Epsom salt bath.

Btw, soreness is good. It means that the exercise is working. :) Good luck. Before you know it you won't be so sore doing 30 Day Shred which means it'll be time to move to something else. ;)

shred did that to me for a few days, I took a day to take it easy, just walking fast for exercise, to recuperate, then got back into it. The muscle pain did go away as I got used to exercising and once I hit week 3 I was really enjoying the workouts, it's nice to be told to crouch and to be able to! I am finishing up my month and really pleased with Shred, I'm moving on up to p90x on Monday. I think I will be sore, again...

Any time I take someone else's class or switch mine up a lot - even when I'm teaching strength training 4x a week - I feel it. One of my coworkers who is a distance runner/cyclist, curses me for several days after we lift together. I call her bad names after after I take her bootcamp class or cycle.

It's all a normal part of using the same muscles in a slightly different way. I figure it's the fitness gods' take-em-down-a-notch juju. :D

Eta: and, yes, oh my word the calves! That is the cause of the longest bad name calling bout! I think there were about 1000 jumping jacks between air jump roping in that class, the hateful !&@$?!. (so I retaliated in the squat cage and she couldn't walk for a week either. :lol:

You should try exercising and see if they loosen up a bit and stop screaming once you get warmed up. If they do, I'd say "shred on". I mean, it's called "shred". You were forewarned. ;)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

I would alternate Shred days with a more manageable form of exercise -- T-Tapp, or a 20 minute walk + stretching, or lap-swimming plus stretching. Give yourself a few weeks of doing Shred 3-4 days per week and light exercise on alternate days. ... You'll adjust *very* quickly and find you aren't so sore after just a few sessions.

But sure, give yourself the chance to recover -- but don't give up and assume you "can't" either!

I could barely walk down the stairs or sit on the toilet :lol: after the second day of The 30-Day Shred. You are supposed to be sore. Just keep doing it. By day nine I could stand waiting to move to level 2, so I moved on and did level 2 for 11 days.

Continuing to do it helped alleviate my soreness.

Thanks for the encouragement! I skipped exercising on Saturday because I was so sore I could barely move, and I was also exhausted after my daughter's graduation and party. On Sunday, I jogged in the pool. Monday and Tuesday, I did 30DS, and I am not sore at all. I have already doubled the number of push-ups I can do, and I can mostly keep up with the cardio now. I'm really excited about seeing so much improvement after only 4 days.