Menu

AACCKK! What the ding-dong is a "doxon" puppy???

Ok, I'm reading an article in my local paper they got from the Associated Press (AP!!!!! for crying out loud) about a puppy that fell 20 feet in a hole and was rescued. It read "Officials say the doxon puppy had no visible injuries but was being checked at an animal hospital."

Has it come to this??? Can the Associated Press not even spell dachshund correctly???

How will I get through the rest of this day????

I sent an email to the Associated Press via there website offering my services as a proofreader. Why don't I feel any better? Am I really this inflexible? I'm still sitting here in a half-catatonic state. Somebody help me out here. It just doesn't seem fair that whoever wrote that article is getting paid good money and I'm smarter than they are. I'm guessing most of the children represented on this board (ok, the high schoolers anyway) are smarter.

Ok, I'm reading an article in my local paper they got from the Associated Press (AP!!!!! for crying out loud) about a puppy that fell 20 feet in a hole and was rescued. It read "Officials say the doxon puppy had no visible injuries but was being checked at an animal hospital."

Has it come to this??? Can the Associated Press not even spell dachshund correctly???

:001_huh: Ok, I guess we are just hicks here in Texas, but I have OFTEN heard of dachhunds referred to as doxans. Maybe the add was written by someone who grew up in less sophisticated areas! LOL :tongue_smilie:

Could it be the writer of the article was a "victim" of creative spelling affirmation or whatever they call it in school these days?:lol:

LOL, Kathleen, I would be the same as you - until I received a WRITTEN APOLOGY AND RETRACTION from AP, I would not feel better about such a ridiculous spelling error. Oh, my. That someone could write it and that it could get past the editing people and actually get published - AAAAAAGH!:willy_nilly:

Gracious! I'm usually not offended by bad grammar or spelling, but that's a new one. I wonder how they would spell Weimaraner or Schipperke?

:001_huh: Okay, I had to look both of those up, but it took two seconds on google. Does the AP not have google? :001_huh:

I prefer wiener dog. smiley-chores016.gif

Now why doesn't that surprise me???

As the proud owner of two cutie-pie dachshunds, I am shocked at that spelling! I know it's not the easiest word to spell, and I wouldn't be surprised to see datsun, as I have in pet stores before. But doxon? Don't they have the little red dotted line under their misspelled words? Or, like elegantlion said, Google??? Was the problem perhaps because the spelling was so far from the correct spelling that none of the spell checks could figure it out enough to recommend a proper spelling??? A mystery, for sure!

I'd hazard to guess that a "doxon" is the progeny of a dachsund and a Bichon Frise, sold as the latest and greatest in designer dogs. It's happening more and more with small dogs, with outrageous prices being charged for what is essentially a mixed breed.

I don't know for sure, but that's what first leapt into my mind, not the possibility of a misspelling. Although that could certainly be the case.

Just a hunch!

I'd hazard to guess that a "doxon" is the progeny of a dachsund and a Bichon Frise, sold as the latest and greatest in designer dogs. It's happening more and more with small dogs, with outrageous prices being charged for what is essentially a mixed breed.

I don't know for sure, but that's what first leapt into my mind, not the possibility of a misspelling. Although that could certainly be the case.

Just a hunch!

Oh, yeah. That thought had occurred to me too. I intended to do a Google search before I posted. But then I forgot to. I think I need more coffee...

But I know if I were a journalist using a newly created term that might cause me to look a fool, I would make sure to define it within my article. Something like "The doxon puppy (a cross between a dachshund and a Bichon Frise) blah blah blah." But maybe that's just me... ;)

Now why doesn't that surprise me???

As the proud owner of two cutie-pie dachshunds, I am shocked at that spelling! I know it's not the easiest word to spell, and I wouldn't be surprised to see datsun, as I have in pet stores before. But doxon? Don't they have the little red dotted line under their misspelled words? Or, like elegantlion said, Google???

A common nickname for Australian Shepherds is Aussie. Which has the little red dotted line indicating that the word is misspelled. But it isn't. It is just a nickname. And doxon is a nickname for dachshunds for some people.

Or at least I've heard it used as such.

I'd hazard to guess that a "doxon" is the progeny of a dachsund and a Bichon Frise,

That's what I was thinking, so I Googled and found that a cross between the Bichon Frise and the Dachshund is called a Doxie-Chon.

Looks like he is a victim of inventive spelling.

A common nickname for Australian Shepherds is Aussie. Which has the little red dotted line indicating that the word is misspelled. But it isn't. It is just a nickname. And doxon is a nickname for dachshunds for some people.

Or at least I've heard it used as such.

Okay, so then how do you pronounce "dachshund"? Because, phonetically I pronounce it "doxon" or "doxun". I don't really stress the "d" at the end. That's what I was getting at, he's spelling it the way it is normally pronounced. But after over five years of owning dachshunds and visiting many websites and googling dachshunds, I've never come across that spelling ever before.

And about Aussie, yes, there are plenty of words that are correct that still have the red line under it. But as a professional journalist, I would double check any word in my article that had the red line just to make sure. I would consider that part of my job.

LOL!!! :lol:

I thought you were *actually* asking, by your thread title. I was all prepared to calmly translate for you.

And as far as the redneck comment--now I'm wondering--do you all in the N not *pronounce* it "doxon?" I mean, as a kid, I'd read dachshund (sp?) as "dash hund," but when I heard people *say* "doxon" irl, I thought I was wrong. Now I'm wondering... :001_huh:

Okay, so then how do you pronounce "dachshund"? Because, phonetically I pronounce it "doxon" or "doxun".

Ok. This is really going to show what a hick this Texan is. I've always pronounced dachshund: dash-hound. :lol: That is how I'd always heard it pronounced.

I thought the spelling 'doxan' was just a nickname. :001_huh: Whew! Ok all togethether now! Everybody laugh at Rhonda! :lol: Durrr.

I pronounce it "doxon" but I've never spelled it that way and I would hope that the Associated Press has more of an applicant pool for proofreader jobs than to have to pick someone who can't spell dachshund or at least doesn't know how to run a spell check in a word processing document. My 11yo son can do that!!! Doxon is not in the dictionary.

If it were the "Hicksville Times", I'd overlook it gladly, but the Associated Press??? That's the part that really kills me.

Ok. This is really going to show what a hick this Texan is. I've always pronounced dachshund: dash-hound. :lol: That is how I'd always heard it pronounced.

I thought the spelling 'doxan' was just a nickname. :001_huh: Whew! Ok all togethether now! Everybody laugh at Rhonda! :lol: Durrr.

I've heard "dash hound" also, now that you mention it. But I don't think I've heard that pronunciation since I've actually owned one.

Nope, not gonna laugh at you! But I am still laughing at the reporter! :lol:

:001_huh: Ok, I guess we are just hicks here in Texas, but I have OFTEN heard of dachhunds referred to as doxans. Maybe the add was written by someone who grew up in less sophisticated areas! LOL :tongue_smilie:

That is how it's pronounced. But I would expect such a "professional" organization to be able to spell it properly, for goodness' sake.:D