Menu

Inventions, Inventors, & You from Prufrock Press

Snowfall

http://www.prufrock.com/Inventions-Inventors-You-P178.aspx

Has anyone used this? It's geared for grades 3-7 and I'm thinking of using it for a 3rd grader. We're generally not worksheet heavy AT ALL, but dd actually does enjoy worksheets if she likes the topic. Can anyone give me any idea what's in this book and whether it has much information contained in it, or if we'd have to supplement heavily with tons of outside sources to get anything worthwhile from it. I'm just wanting to cover some of the most famous inventors and inventions, since DH seems upset that we haven't yet. lol

No one? Well, can anyone tell me about Prufrock Press stuff in general? I can see this is obviously designed for a classroom, but then that is true of most of their stuff, right? Is it generally still appropriate for use with a single student? I know I see people talk about Prufrock, so I would assume that it tends to be useful. :)

I have it. I bought it for an inventors class I was teaching. It is pretty workbooky... but I think it is worth the 12$. It is only 64 pages long.

This is geared towards a classroom...

It has a "teacher's", "worksheets", "individual projects"And then an appendix of sorts. I think it is a good place to get some ideas, a few worksheets, and some good discussion topics. It does NOT focus on individual inventors, but more of how the process works and how to get kids to think creatively. It has an invention list (which I like) and a test about inventions/inventors, but on the whole it is not a history of invention book. If you can find it used, that's better. :D

In general, Prufrock is pretty good, but it depends on what it is you want. Some books are for classroom teachers, others are individual workbooks, some things are resource books. They are getting better about catering to HSers,but it is not their main market.

I might suggest getting some books out of the library about specific inventors. The ones like this http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Franklin-Inventions-Build-Yourself/dp/0977129470/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339438491&sr=8-1 or this http://www.amazon.com/Isaac-Newton-Physics-Kids-Activities/dp/1556527780/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339438562&sr=1-1 would likely be more along the lines of what your kid wants. There are several in these two series. Check your library, most should have them.

HTH