Menu

Mark Kistler's online lessons...question?

I am thinking of signing up for these lessons. I did one of the free lessons myself and I was SO surprised with my results. He did refer to basic skills that I was easily able to use, but that my dd was not when she tried. She needs the basic first. So, do the online lessons lay out those basics first? Or are they just a bunch of lessons and you pick one to do? Do they start at the beginning and build skills?

Yes, he teaches one concept at a time. He gives the vocabulary, explains it, demonstrates it, and builds the concept in a lesson, then the next lesson will include that concept and add a new one. My 8YO loves it and has been doing really well with it. He struggles with shading still, but he is getting the perspective and other ideas quite well, and has really done the shading pretty well at times.

You also get a choice of video or slides for the lessons and can switch between them (I recommend picking one stream and sticking with it; the slides work well in our house).

If you do the lessons in order, its a good progression of skills. I'm really impressed by what my dc have learned. They apply the techniques to their drawings that they do in their free time, and the results are pretty good.

I just recently got the annual subscription but since my girls are young they are literally just working on the Mini-Marshmallow lessons. (You can see some of their drawings here.) The Marshmallow lessons seem to be more pick and choose without a set path to follow. In any event, my dds LOVE Mark Kistler and literally laugh out loud as they are doing their lessons.

I can't wait to see them grow with it and advance on to the next level.

My kids - especially DD - absolutely love this program. We got the 3 year subscription through HSBC. The mini-marshmallow lessons can be done in order under the other tab... I forget what it's called... and the skills build on each other. There is also the art academy where he spells out much more clearly each technique - but it's a lot of reading (ie. not a video), which my DD enjoys. I am also impressed with her results - she's better at drawing than I am (not hard! :D ) and wants to be an artist.

Does he get into coloring the drawings?

I have not seen any of that, other than the last slide of the written-style lessons encourages you to be creative with your art, and shows you an animated, colored-in version of the lesson. I have been thinking of experimenting of doing the lessons in colored pencil instead of #2 pencil to see how they come out (I usually stay one or two lessons ahead of the kids).

Does he teach anything other than cartoon-ish looking things? My son might like that, but my dd prefers nature, flowers, etc.

I realize whatever he teaches can be applied to other types of drawing, but if the subject isn't appealing my kids won't be very interested.

The discount is a really deep discount for sure. Great deal.

I have not used his online lessons, but he does a good, strong, well done book:

http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Kistlers-Draw-Squad-Kistler/dp/0671656945/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339446717&sr=8-1

He's more kid oriented, but we used his mentor's very cheap book with success:

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Textbook-Bruce-McIntyre/dp/B000GTZZ9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339446731&sr=8-1