Menu

Who can fix printers?

We have a rather expensive printer we purchased a while ago (laser.) It stopped working and we would like to know what is wrong with it. We have people around here who advertise fixing computers but not printers.

Any advice?

It is a HUGE printer, one like the ones used in some offices, so no chance of shipping it anywhere.

Dawn

I know you probably have done this but have you replaced the drum? It is easy on most printers and they go out somewhere between 20,000-40,000 prints. If it is not moving the paper, replace the rollers.

Otherwise, sadly printers are disposable now and very, very few do repairs as it is typically cheaper to replace. Try a small appliance repair shop. You could call the brand and ask for authorized repair shops in your area. Good luck.

I don't know how "handy" your family may be, but our 18yo ds always tries to diagnose a computer problem by googling a simple phrase like "repairing drum of broken HP 402 Printer".

Good luck! Similarly, you may be able to find a computer geek friend to help you. (So Best Buy's Geek Squad won't come visit you?)

I have asked two friends who fix computers and both say they don't do anything for printers.

Dh needs to take a look at it. I am sick of the thing being in our closet (close to 8 years now.....we lugged the stupid thing from California 7 years ago and it still doesn't work because he hasn't looked at it yet!)

Dawn

I have had surprising success with mine by contacting the printer company. I had a service guy spend a good half hour on chat with me, guiding me through various tests to diagnose the problem, then helping me to fix it. I didn't even end up needing any new parts.

Despite a dud here and there, tech support has been getting better, in my experience.

Good to know. I may get it out tomorrow and play around with it a bit and then call Monday.

Dawn

I have had surprising success with mine by contacting the printer company. I had a service guy spend a good half hour on chat with me, guiding me through various tests to diagnose the problem, then helping me to fix it. I didn't even end up needing any new parts.

Despite a dud here and there, tech support has been getting better, in my experience.

If it is used in settings like offices you can probably call Office Depot or similar and ask for their service technicians. You might have to explain its a small business type of equipment. I know when I worked for a large company our service technician was through Office Max.

I'm betting if it's not a simple drum replacement type thing you'll be forced to replace. I think it's pretty rare to maintain 10 yr old equipment.