Menu

Wii.....just got one used...HELP!

Okay..this has been the most frustrating experience! What is so great about the Wii? The little remote we have...well...the hand often disappears and you can't get it back, in the middle of something. It jumps all around. Can you just play with the thing normal or does it have to be interactive w/ that remote. I would love to get some exercise things or Super Mario Brothers or some "educational"..well...I don't want it for just entertainment. ....BUT.... Wow! This thing is frustrating...what are we doing wrong? Do you have to "sync" something everytime you switch games and is our remote issue because we need a new remote? I put in new batteries but you have to wave it all around, then when you catch a glimpse of the hand you try and slow down and get it to the screen, then if you move wrong the hand disappears....this is not how I wanted to spend my Saturday. My mother sent us all this wii stuff that a family member no longer wanted, it was purchased 4 years ago brand new. But .....frustrating!! I got excited because I saw you can exercise with it etc...but we can't even get through a basic simple game...:bigear::bigear::bigear::banghead::banghead::banghead:

My ds says maybe you need to see where you're aiming your remotes in relation to the bar thing (that you typically place on top of or below your tv) & calibrate the bar for where it is currently placed/located (under Wii Options in the main menu).

Maybe that will help?

It sounds like you might need a new remote or even maybe a new sensor bar. Ours did that as we were learning, but it did not take long at all to get the hang of it. For the classic games you can get some that use the regular old controller but it connects to the remote but you get to play the old fashion way.

It really sounds like a remote or senor bar issue, gamestop sells both parts new and used, and used you can usually get a pretty good deal. We only ever have to sync our remotes once to the system and then it's usually fine unless a game specifically asks for you to sync it again.

My ds says maybe you need to see where you're aiming your remotes in relation to the bar thing (that you typically place on top of or below your tv) & calibrate the bar for where it is currently placed/located (under Wii Options in the main menu).

Maybe that will help?

Yes, make sure the sensor bar is in a good position (ie, it needs to be placed where nothing is blocking it from the remote) and check your settings to be sure that they are correct.

Ok...so..we put the sensor bar on top of the tv, I put tape on the bottom to secure it to the top of the tv because we just got a new flat screen tv and well...it won't just sit up on top.

When you say to check the settings what do I do, to make sure the remote is set up for where the sensor bar is?

ALSO...FORGIVE ALL THE QUESTIONS..HA! I am NOT up on all the games etc...we don't have any. The last time I played Mario Bro was like in 1992 w/ an old Nintendo and it was a blast.

I have no users manual, you can find them online but I can't print them, they all print so small I can't even read it.

How do you play "the old fashioned" way..ha!

Thanks a bunch...very helpful!! Trying to figure this out by going online is about to drive me nuts!

You may have placed the sensor bar up too high. Try putting it right under the TV screen, rather than on top of it. Also, make sure it's clean.

I think you definitely need to look at a manual for the setup instructions. I'm not sure where ours is, or I'd send it to you.

If there's a GameStop near you, I'll bet they'd open a pre-owned Wii for you and let you look at the manual.

Have you tried Googling for "Wii set-up" or "Wiimote calibration" to see if you can find any info?

I'll bet the Wii you bought will work fine once you get it set up correctly. :001_smile:

Ok...so..we put the sensor bar on top of the tv, I put tape on the bottom to secure it to the top of the tv because we just got a new flat screen tv and well...it won't just sit up on top.

When you say to check the settings what do I do, to make sure the remote is set up for where the sensor bar is?

ALSO...FORGIVE ALL THE QUESTIONS..HA! I am NOT up on all the games etc...we don't have any. The last time I played Mario Bro was like in 1992 w/ an old Nintendo and it was a blast.

I have no users manual, you can find them online but I can't print them, they all print so small I can't even read it.

How do you play "the old fashioned" way..ha!

Thanks a bunch...very helpful!! Trying to figure this out by going online is about to drive me nuts!

OK, on the main screen, click on the circle on the bottom left that says "Wii", then click "Wii Settings", then click the arrow on the right side so you get to "Wii Systems Settings 2" and click "Sensor Bar", then "sensor bar position" and choose top or bottom of TV. You can also click "sensitivity" and make sure that is optimum.

Some of it is probably getting used to it. :001_smile:

As for games, you can rent them on Redbox, and also get them used from Gamestop.

Oh..you guys are so nice! I don't think we have a gamestop around here, sort of out in the middle of nowhere ville..ha!

I will try the sensor thing...although...I just asked my 6 year old to let me try the monster trucks...well....he kept saying "mom...please...can I have it back" ..ha! That was kinda fun. So..it must be sort of working ok. I was using the remote with the nunchuck or whatever it is called.